VBAC

I hate the term "Trial of Labor"

Today I had my 2nd appt with my OB.  At my last appointment she was pretty discouraging about me getting a VBAC.  Since I pushed for 4 hours with little progress she seemed convinced that its the shape/size of my pelvis that didn't allow me to birth vaginally.  (However I'm convinced it was me being on my back from the first contraction and totally numb from the epidural for 12+ hours while laboring).

Anyway, today she said she reviewed my surgical records and she's fine with giving me a "trial of labor".  She also handed me the VBAC consent form (which should have its own post). 

The point of this post is, why do they have to call it a trial of labor?  The VBAC success rate is somewhere around 80% and the c-section rate in this country is somewhere around 33%, so technically I have a better chance of delivering vaginally with a VBAC then any other type of labor, right? 

I just wish we (c/s mommas) could have a normal birth.  There are a million (really low) risks along with any delivery--they are not really all that much higher with VBAC but for some reason doctors want to instill so much fear to VBAC-but they don't go over the potential delivery risks with first time moms or moms who have had a vaginal delivery.  I just dislike the 2-faced-ness I feel like we get. 

If you made it through all of my rambling-thanks.  :) 

Re: I hate the term "Trial of Labor"

• Agreed!
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• I agree.  I knew I was delivering at a VBAC friendly hospital when the "VBAC consent form" actually had the risks of VBACs AND the risks of a RCS on it.  I checked off which one I wanted and signed it.  At least it gave me both sides of the coin, right?
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • Loading the player...
  • imageLuv4Minnesota:

Today I had my 2nd appt with my OB.  At my last appointment she was pretty discouraging about me getting a VBAC.  Since I pushed for 4 hours with little progress she seemed convinced that its the shape/size of my pelvis that didn't allow me to birth vaginally.  (However I'm convinced it was me being on my back from the first contraction and totally numb from the epidural for 12+ hours while laboring).

Agreed! I imagine someone rolling their eyes at me when I hear it.

My (totally unsolicited) advice is to find a new OB. I have no patience for OBs who tell women their pelvis is inadequate without solid evidence, like a CT pelvimetry scan. Like Ina May said, "There is nothing wrong with the pelvises of American women, thank you very much." Stick out tongue

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I agree that in some cases this is actually like a first labor, why should it be treated any differently. I never got to go into labor at all. They called it a failed induction, but they screwed it up! We deserve a "trial of labor" just like anyone else--even first timers. If a first labor is simply a labor, ours is, too!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"