South Florida Babies

Sunscreen on babies

I'll probably call/text pedi later this week, but wanted to get input from expert mommies.

We are going to Disney this weekend (tagging along with family - last minute thing, not that babies will enjoy).  And reading Jen's post below, I hadn't thought about sunscreen, but I've read that they should be 6 mo before using it on babies.  

What do I do?  Also, which should I use?  I've heard Blue Lizard is great for babies.  The canopy on their stroller is huge.

THANKS 

-- Jackie
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane" -- Jimmy Buffett Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Sunscreen on babies

• Ive always put it on them, even before 6 months. I would rather protect their skin from the sun.
  • I work in pediatric derm at Miami children's... The whole 6 month rule is fir sunscreens, not sunblocks. Sunscreens are chemical (ie. avobenzone, etc) but sunblocks are physical (zinc oxide and titanium dioxide). The ingredients in sunblocks are the same found in diaper rash creams... which is obviously safe in newborns!! We sell and I personally use Blue Lizard because it is chemical free and good for sensitive skin. They sell at some CVS's, some Navarro's and BBB. I believe Nutrogena Pure and Free Baby sunblock is chemical free as well. Aveeno Baby, Coppertone, and many other kid sunscreens are not chemical free, so just make sure you read labels!! And technically, you can always use a diaper rash cream that us zinc oxide or titanium dioxide (like triple paste) if you had nothing else on you!!
    Camryn Grace ~ July 6th, 2009 ~ 7lbs 9oz, 20.5" Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    Brayden Richard Drew ~ December 20, 2010~7lbs 9oz, 20" Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Sorry for the typos, I'm on my iPhone.
    Camryn Grace ~ July 6th, 2009 ~ 7lbs 9oz, 20.5" Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    Brayden Richard Drew ~ December 20, 2010~7lbs 9oz, 20" Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageg8orell:
    I work in pediatric derm at Miami children's... The whole 6 month rule is fir sunscreens, not sunblocks. Sunscreens are chemical (ie. avobenzone, etc) but sunblocks are physical (zinc oxide and titanium dioxide). The ingredients in sunblocks are the same found in diaper rash creams... which is obviously safe in newborns!! We sell and I personally use Blue Lizard because it is chemical free and good for sensitive skin. They sell at some CVS's, some Navarro's and BBB. I believe Nutrogena Pure and Free Baby sunblock is chemical free as well. Aveeno Baby, Coppertone, and many other kid sunscreens are not chemical free, so just make sure you read labels!! And technically, you can always use a diaper rash cream that us zinc oxide or titanium dioxide (like triple paste) if you had nothing else on you!!

Thanks.  I just asked pedi and she said none until 6 mo.  Hm, not sure what to do.  I do have beach bucket hats for them, which I'm taking for sure.  

I will take a bottle of Blue Lizard (we use that already) and play it by ear. 

-- Jackie
    "If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane" -- Jimmy Buffett Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imagecocojack10:

imageg8orell:
    I work in pediatric derm at Miami children's... The whole 6 month rule is fir sunscreens, not sunblocks. Sunscreens are chemical (ie. avobenzone, etc) but sunblocks are physical (zinc oxide and titanium dioxide). The ingredients in sunblocks are the same found in diaper rash creams... which is obviously safe in newborns!! We sell and I personally use Blue Lizard because it is chemical free and good for sensitive skin. They sell at some CVS's, some Navarro's and BBB. I believe Nutrogena Pure and Free Baby sunblock is chemical free as well. Aveeno Baby, Coppertone, and many other kid sunscreens are not chemical free, so just make sure you read labels!! And technically, you can always use a diaper rash cream that us zinc oxide or titanium dioxide (like triple paste) if you had nothing else on you!!

Thanks.  I just asked pedi and she said none until 6 mo.  Hm, not sure what to do.  I do have beach bucket hats for them, which I'm taking for sure.  

I will take a bottle of Blue Lizard (we use that already) and play it by ear. 

Hmmm, I wonder why?! I just read the ingredients on the back of mine - 5% Titanium Dioxide, 10% Zinc Oxide. Triple Paste is 12% Zinc Oxide. You should ask her if you should not use diaper rash creams in the babies since they are under 6 months, LOL. I'm just kidding! If you don't feel comfortable, maybe you can buy UV outfits? At target they have the UV (50+) swim shirts, or BRU and BBB have the UV protective covers that go over the stroller. At least it's February, so the sun's rays are not as strong as summer!

• Great idea about the shirts and stroller covers.  Thanks.

Per doctor "no sunblock til over 6 mo old bc sensitive skin to ingredients."  

I know I am going to hear contradicting opinions from different doctors/professionals, but need to go with our pedi.  I know you aren't insulted, but just explaining.  : )  Thanks a lot though for the input. 

-- Jackie
  • imagecocojack10:

Great idea about the shirts and stroller covers.  Thanks.

Per doctor "no sunblock til over 6 mo old bc sensitive skin to ingredients."  

I know I am going to hear contradicting opinions from different doctors/professionals, but need to go with our pedi.  I know you aren't insulted, but just explaining.  : )  Thanks a lot though for the input. 

I totally understand, I'm not insulted at all!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"