New Jersey Babies

When to tell my boss that I'm pregnant?

I am currently a non-tenured special education teacher in my 12th week of pregnancy. I am due at the end of August, so my leave would begin in September. I am trying to determine when I should tell my school that I am pregnant.

Part of me would like to wait until I find out if I've been hired back for my 3rd year, although that probably won't work because I will be 23 weeks pregnant by then.

I thought maybe I should wait until I've had my final observation of the year. It has been rumored that this particular observation plays a big role in determining if you will ultimately get tenure. However, this could happen anytime in the next three months.

Another part of me thinks I should just tell my administrators now, so they don't feel rushed when trying to find a maternity leave replacement for me.

I've been hurt in the past because I didn't know the politics of working in a school community, so I want to make sure that this time I take control of the situation. Any advice, especially from teachers and administrators would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. 

Re: When to tell my boss that I'm pregnant?

• The will probably look for your sub the same time they're looking for new teachers.  I thought final observations had to be done by March, atleast that is how it is in my school.  I would double check that, if they really do have another 3 months, then I would tell them soon, if it has to be done by March, I'd wait till you have your evaluation meeting.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Teterboro 5K 7/16/11 23:22 Tenafly 5K 6/5/11 26:48 1st in age group and stroller division Teterboro 5K 7/17/10 24:42 Lincoln Tunnel 5K 4/25/10 28:18 4 1/2 weeks pp Teterboro Airport 5K 7/18/09 22:35 3rd place age group 4 1/2 weeks pregnant Long Branch 1/2 5/3/09 1:51:07 Lincoln Tunnel 5K 4/26/09 22:22 NJEA 5K 11/7/08 22:30 2nd place age group Westchester 1/2 10/12/08 1:50:16 Teterboro Airport 5K 7/19/08 23:43 Long Branch 1/2 5/4/08 1:54:18 Giant Stadium 5K 4/26/08 error in timing Hackensack 5K 10/14/07 23:55 1st place in age group
  • I would tell them as soon as you can.  That way they don't find out from another teacher you may have told and feel like you were hiding something.  I told people at school at 13 weeks after I announced it to my family.  Best to be up front and honest in my opinion. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you for the advice. I think I'm leaning toward getting it out there sooner too.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"