DIY Bird Mobile complete! (PIP) — The Bump
June 2011 Moms

DIY Bird Mobile complete! (PIP)

Just thought I'd share my first DIY project for the nusery!  Here's my inspiration (sold by an etsy seller for $100):

The felt birds seemed easy enough to recreate, so my niece and I spent one Sunday working on it.  I bought some felt at Michael's and traced the birds from the photo in some graphic software I have and printed out a template for us to use:

Each bird has 2 sides and we sewed the wings onto each side first:

Then we stuffed them and sewed them together:

I used a sewing hoop for the base, attached the birds with fishing line, and used ribbon so it can hang from a hook on the ceiling.  Here's my niece demonstrating it above the crib:

We ended up not liking the blue hoop, so we wrapped some yellow yarn around it.  Makes it look much softer and baby-like I think.  Here's the finished product:

Once we get our nursery complete I'll post some actual pictures of it hanging in the room.  Oh, and total cost for this project was $20.  :)

Re: DIY Bird Mobile complete! (PIP)

• Love it!  I was originally going to recreate a similar mobile that had felt owls that I saw on etsy.  I haven't started mine yet though.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Great job!  Makes me wish I could sew...
  • imagehlcc1024:
    Great job!  Makes me wish I could sew...

Thanks everyone!

I actually hadn't sewed in a long, long time before I did this project.  My niece had to give me a refresher lesson.  haha.  But, this was pretty simple stitching -- especially since it all shows and you don't have to worry about turning it inside-out to hide it.

• Absolutely darling!!!  Great job!!!

• looks awesome!
  • That looks awesome! Great work. I have been coveting an owl mobile from the same Etsy seller, but didn't want to pay the $120. You just gave me the confidence to try on my own first.
  • I love it and may just steal the idea! :)
  • I might have to steal that idea too.  That is absolutely adorable, great job!
  • I think I ordered an ornament from that seller, and I do love her stuff, but PRICEY! I was thinking of doing the same, but am torn on several different mobiles. Great job!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • so cute!
  • Adorable!
    ? Kristen & Austin ~ Married 07.04.09 ? Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Amazing job!!!!!
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Rainbow baby, EDD 7/8/14, missed miscarriage 12/5/13. 
  • Cute! I was planning on attempting a very similar project and this makes me think I can actually accomplish it! Thanks for sharing Smile
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
    DD born 5/15/11
    DS born 11/12/12
  • super cute! great job!
    ~Chelsea~
    image"">imageimage
  • That's really cute.  You did a great job.  I can't believe someone would spend $100 for that though...maybe I should look into starting an Ebay store!  :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards