3rd Trimester

Is deli meat less risky in the 3rd trimester?

I am dying for a Mr. Goodcents Penny Club. I don't like it heated up in the microwave, its just not the same.

Is it less risky to have sandwich meat in the 3 trimester???

:(

Re: Is deli meat less risky in the 3rd trimester?

• I have been eating deli meat my whole pregnancy, my baby so far has turned out healthy... I truthfully think ONE deli meat sandwich wont kill you... or your baby
  • It is absolutely no less risky.  You can still get food poisoning and it can still do very bad things to your baby.  But the level of risk is yours to judge - many other people go ahead and eat it and I do too occasionally if it's from a place I trust and I am really craving.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • I've been eating deli meat this pregnancy and the last one and everything is fine here. I think in moderation and from a reputable deli you are at a much lower risk of getting any bacteria. I would DO IT and enjoy your sandwich.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    September 2015 Siggy Challenge - Happy Dance
  • Oh, dear God...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagekdodge423:

.0008% of the population is what comes down with listeria each year- and even a smaller portion of that die from it.

Eat the damn sandwich.

This. 

Thalia Kathryn
  • imagekdodge423:

.0008% of the population is what comes down with listeria each year- and even a smaller portion of that die from it.

Eat the damn sandwich.

Seriously!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I ate deli meat and hotdogs with DS and I have eaten them with this pregnancy.  Sometimes that's all I wanted.
  • If you are scared of deli meat, you really should avoid driving or being a passenger in a car.  Talk about a risk to the baby!  What if you get in an accident!

All snark aside, eat your sandwich

• Do what you feel comfortable doing. I don't care what anyone else says, I won't eat deli meat cold. People say eat it in moderation but that one time can have it and you never know so I personally don't trust it. To each's own I say.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My Dr laughed when I asked at my very first appointment if I really couldn't eat deli meat and hot dogs. He said there was no risk to LO at all. They say pregnant women shouldn't eat them b/c it could make them sick and who really wants to throw up more than just from m/s. I had a hot day for lunch on Saturday and it was fantastic. 
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagekdodge423:

imageheylee:
    Do what you feel comfortable doing. I don't care what anyone else says, I won't eat deli meat cold. People say eat it in moderation but that one time can have it and you never know so I personally don't trust it. To each's own I say.

I hope you don't ride in a car at all while pregnant. Far, far riskier and can very easily be avoided.

If you eliminate all possible sources of food contamination, you aren't going to be eating anything. The sad fact is you are less likely to get sick at a restaurant as they have cleanliness standards they have to maintain in order to serve food. Your kitchen? Not so much. FYI- veggies are a more likely source of listeria than lunch meats and are a common culprit of cross contamination for other bacteria as well. People take huge precautions with meats, but often slack in that area.

Like I said, to each's own. I follow what my doctor first told me and she said no to unheated lunch meats. Why should I risk what I don't feel comfortable doing? I know someone who got listeria and had their baby die from it. Very rare chance but why should I do something I feel can harm my unborn? It's my own preference and my own choice to make.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagekdodge423:

imageheylee:
    Do what you feel comfortable doing. I don't care what anyone else says, I won't eat deli meat cold. People say eat it in moderation but that one time can have it and you never know so I personally don't trust it. To each's own I say.

I hope you don't ride in a car at all while pregnant. Far, far riskier and can very easily be avoided.

If you eliminate all possible sources of food contamination, you aren't going to be eating anything. The sad fact is you are less likely to get sick at a restaurant as they have cleanliness standards they have to maintain in order to serve food. Your kitchen? Not so much. FYI- veggies are a more likely source of listeria than lunch meats and are a common culprit of cross contamination for other bacteria as well. People take huge precautions with meats, but often slack in that area.

This is actually absolutely true.  In France pregnant women are advised not to eat raw vegetables due to Listeria poisioning.

Thats why I like my turkey sandwich with a side of sushi and a latte.  Just sayin.

• imagekdodge423:

Eat the damn sandwich.

This. It's not less risky in the third trimester, but it's not that risky either.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • No, it's not any less risky. It has nothing to do with moderation or whatever. You can eat a ham sandwich once and get listeria. Which would make you the unluckiest person EVER.

I've eaten deli meat when I've felt like it. I've also eaten raw veggies like a madwoman because it's all I'm craving. I'm with the majority here - go have a sandwich and enjoy it.

imagePregnancy Ticker
  • imagekdodge423:

Eat the damn sandwich.

Um, yeah, where was this information the last two trimesters?! 

• IT'S ALWAYS FINE!  IMHO.  I at a turkey sandwich cold (gasp) everyday when pregnant with DS and he was and is fine.  I eat them all the time now...even have sushi and (gasp) coffee too.  Everything in moderation is fine, with the exception of the obvious drugs and alcohol of course.

• Now that you mention it... I think that is what I am going to have as a snack.  Summer Sausage sandwich sounds amazing right now.

Oh, and don't forget Subway is having Any Sub is a 5 dollar footlong all February!  Wouldn't want to miss that. 

• imageEJChapman123:

This is actually absolutely true.  In France pregnant women are advised not to eat raw vegetables due to Listeria poisioning.

Thats why I like my turkey sandwich with a side of sushi and a latte.  Just sayin.

Now we're talkin'!

• i have not eatten deli meat so far in my whole pregnancy but i cant see how one sandwich is going to kill you. so enjoy (:
  • imagekatiebuug:
    I have been eating deli meat my whole pregnancy, my baby so far has turned out healthy... I truthfully think ONE deli meat sandwich wont kill you... or your baby

Not to beat a dead horse, and I DO eat deli meat, however, it's that one particular sandwich that is contaminated that probably won't kill you, but it has a much greater risk of killing your baby.  It's not quantity, it's the one sandwich that has the bacteria in it. 

• Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought a lot of the risk was of miscarriage, no so much the food poisoning of listeria? So wouldn't it be less risky in 3rd tri? That said, I eat sandwiches. 
  • I actually hate deli meat so it's not an issue for me.  However in regards to whether it's more or less risky in the 3rd - they actually say it's more risky because your immune system is weakened.  My OB said to stay away from turkey in the 3rd trimester for that reason.

Most of my friends have eaten deli meat their entire pregnancies.  I think you have to go with your comfort level. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"