Indiana Babies
Options

Speaking of wardrobes. Feeling frumpy.

I don't think I posted about this recently, but I've been thinking about it and now I can't remember if I posted about it or not.

I'm afraid that I'm becoming a frumpy mom. I used to be so into what I was wearing and being "in" fashion-wise was important. Lately though, I feel like it's taken a backseat. I certainly have no problem finding DD clothes and I'm positive that she dresses WAY better than I do. Before kids and when I was pregnant, I told myself that I wouldn't become one of those moms. I wanted to look nice right along with DD. I always thought it looked sort of frumpy with the kid looked so much nicer dressed then the mom.

Yesterday I wore a Pink VS sweatshirt, jeans, and nike shox. DD wore a cute red tunic/LS shirt and skinny jeans. We only went to DH's parents house for lunch but still. I think I'm becoming that mom. Add to it the fact that I wear yoga pants and a tshirt almost everyday when I'm at home and not leaving the house.
Not to AW, but I actually (surprisingly) feel pretty good about my post-partum body so I should be doing a lot more with myself.

I have no idea what's "in" now for an adult. Any suggestions on blogs or other places to look for inexpensive ideas?
Is there anything on your spring/summer must have list?

Re: Speaking of wardrobes. Feeling frumpy.

• Options

I've always felt this way, even before baby!  It was *really* obvious when I went to kindermusik and all the other moms (and kids) looked so cute.  And Andrew and I were wearing jeans, sweatshirts, and tennis.  Sigh. :/

The other moms are wearing cute boots with heels, the girls are wearing little tutus.  Man, I'm out of it!

• Options

I'm kind of in a similar boat. I'm finding myself not really into the latest trends (never really was anyway), and to add to that I have a hard time justifying spending the money.

I have no advice about what's in, but what I do when I need something new is to make sure to shop in a store that is reasonably current. Takes the guesswork out of it. I figure if my sweater/shirt is from Banana Republic, there's a good chance it's not frumpy.

I also think an easy way to add polish to a comfy outfit is a cute jacket:

Also, swapping cute flats (or espadrilles in the summer) for sneakers does wonders for me in the feeling cute department.

It's funny that I'm responding to this because I don't follow my own advice!

Pregnancy Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageNDwife07:

I'm kind of in a similar boat. I'm finding myself not really into the latest trends (never really was anyway), and to add to that I have a hard time justifying spending the money.

I have no advice about what's in, but what I do when I need something new is to make sure to shop in a store that is reasonably current. Takes the guesswork out of it. I figure if my sweater/shirt is from Banana Republic, there's a good chance it's not frumpy.

I also think an easy way to add polish to a comfy outfit is a cute jacket:

Also, swapping cute flats (or espadrilles in the summer) for sneakers does wonders for me in the feeling cute department.

It's funny that I'm responding to this because I don't follow my own advice!

I like these suggestions!

• Options

I never wear sneakers with jeans.  I think sneakers alone make me feel more frumpy, KWIM?  They're so bulky anyway.

I think cute shoes always make me feel more put together, even if I am wearing them with yoga pants.  Since having Tyson, I've started wearing a lot more flats.  You can find inexpensive ones at DSW, Target, even Old Navy sometimes.

I also think fitted tops, even if they're just plain colored t-shirts, are cute.  Pair them with a basic cardigan, jeans, flats and some accessories and you've got a put-together look that works for being a mom of a toddler.  :) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I've promised myself that I'll wear more summer dresses this year. It's hard to look frumpy in a pretty summer dress!  Sure beats Jeans and a tank any way.

• Options
    I definitely feel like I've been falling into mom mode more lately too--living in sweats on weekends.  I like glamour & lucky magazines.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageIU_baby:

I never wear sneakers with jeans.  I think sneakers alone make me feel more frumpy, KWIM?  They're so bulky anyway.

I think cute shoes always make me feel more put together, even if I am wearing them with yoga pants.  Since having Tyson, I've started wearing a lot more flats.  You can find inexpensive ones at DSW, Target, even Old Navy sometimes.

I also think fitted tops, even if they're just plain colored t-shirts, are cute.  Pair them with a basic cardigan, jeans, flats and some accessories and you've got a put-together look that works for being a mom of a toddler.  :) 

Ditto this exactly, especially flats.  I also think that adding accessories, really helps. 

Not to say that I actually follow this advice...LOL!

I'm having a similar problem at work and it was really obvious this weekend while trying to shop.  I don't know if it's because I'm looking in the off-season or what, but I had the hardest time trying to find "trendy" work appropriate jackets.  

Gah, it's so hard to focus on me instead of Olivia.

• Options
    imagemandyallcorn:

I've promised myself that I'll wear more summer dresses this year. It's hard to look frumpy in a pretty summer dress!  Sure beats Jeans and a tank any way.

I wore a ton of dresses last summer. BFing made it a little tough, but I did it anyway.

I think that's why I always feel like I'm more frumpy in the winter/fall months. Spring and summer have so many more optiond, IMO.

• Options
    imagefruitcakes:
    imageIU_baby:

Ditto this exactly, especially flats.  I also think that adding accessories, really helps. 

Not to say that I actually follow this advice...LOL!

I'm having a similar problem at work and it was really obvious this weekend while trying to shop.  I don't know if it's because I'm looking in the off-season or what, but I had the hardest time trying to find "trendy" work appropriate jackets.  

Gah, it's so hard to focus on me instead of Olivia.

I have a TON of shoes...I just don't wear many of them, lol. I don't have many accessories though so maybe that would help.

• Options

Where is a good place to get some cute comfy flats at? I have a couple pairs and they are just so uncomfortable that I never wear them. Another thing..do you think short girls look ok wearing flats?

• Options

I am right there with you on the yoga pants!  I've been rocking leggings a lot lately - I feel like they are as comfortable as yoga pants but a little less frumpy.  I wear those a lot with tunics or long cardigans.  Also, ditto on the shoes.  Since staying home I rarely wear heels but I normaly wear flats (I'm with Laura, I only wear sneakers if I am going/coming ffrom the gym or we are out walking).  I need to wear more jewlery but somehow B grabs my necklace or it gets caught.  I always try to wear a little makeup (though again this isn't always the case).  For me, I need to stop pulling my hair back and actually dry it!  And to keep this truthful - I totally rock the yoga pants/tee shirt at least 3 days a week! 

• Options

OMG, I out frump you all.  Seriously.  My wardrobe is mat Jeans, xl nasty sweaters from target, and merrill mocs.  I keep telling myself I will get some new clothes once I am not a 36I and Iose the tummy.  We'll see. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"