Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Post your mother/mil irritating parrenting comments...

Some of my mom's/mil's...

1) My Mom - "You don't hold her enough?" wtf, seriously?

2) Baby talk from MIL, when DD was crying "They are just starving you, aren't they?" (She said this when I had breast milk supply issues and was preparing a formula bottle)

3) Both MIL and mother, "I think she needs to be burped, it is gas, its ALWAYS gas" (then try to burp her for an hour) or "She needs to be rocked", they say this ALL the freaking time.

4) "You don't dress her warm enough" inside the house

5) My favorite are the "back in my day, we did it this way... etc."  and I have to explain why "now in my day, we call that a safety hazard... and don't do that... etc."

6) My mom scolded me for not warming up DD formula... I use room temperature bottled water to make it. Saying "I can't believe you don't warm up her formula." I told her sometimes I even serve it a little cold right out of fridge (gasp).  (when I don't warm it all the way and DD is screaming hungry)

Also, MIL was in my L&D room while I was in labor (not the delivery part) sitting in a chair that happened to be across from the end of my bed.  Every couple of hours when they came in to check me to see how dilated I was, I had to ASK her to step out of the room... (like I wanted her staring at my lady parts). This happened about 6 or 7 times. She really wanted to be allowed to stay for the entire time.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Post your mother/mil irritating parrenting comments...

• MIL- "Ew youre going to breastfeed? I think its just so gross"

• My mom is awesome and gives advice but doesn't force me to do it or lament on it.

DH's Dad... 

Let her CIO, you won't always be around to help her. Are you really going to pick her up? So you're going to stop what you're doing to pick her up? YES YES YES YES YES!!!

Why are you buying a new car seat? I paid $1 for Nate's carseat used (Nate= DH)

She needs to stay up for a few hours, she's never going to become active if she sleeps all the time ( this was at 9 days old).

He also told me many times to prop her bottle up on some rolled blankets to feed her so that I could leave her and go do other things.

Oh yea, he's a doc. 

• Loading the player...
  • My MIL thinks anytime DD cries that she has gas.  I want to yell "listen lady, she is a baby.  Babies cry all the time.  It does not have to be gas!!!"

My mom is so passive it is aggravating.  She will stay stupid sh!!t like "Oh baby you must be cold, why doesn't your mommy have socks on you??"  I want to shake her and say "1. we are in the house.  and 2. she kicks off her socks, so unless you want to be on sock patrol, lay off."

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Pregnancy Ticker
  • MIL- that bottle is too cold, warm it up (even though LO was eating no problem)...  she needs to have a hat on even though the thermostat is on 72 in the house...and my personal favorite, she insists on putting loose blankets all around the baby.  I finally told her she was more likely to suffocate from the blankets than catch a cold in my house!!
  • "Just make sure every time he cries, you don't stick your bewb in his mouth okay?"

My little man at 0-1-2
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin me baby!
    BabyFruit Ticker http://mamasaywhat.com/

• MIL - He's such a big baby he'll definatly need rice cereal put in his formula soon.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • my mom when i told her i quit bf and switched to ff- "you know bm is the best for baby" really??  wow mom i didnt know that.  like im not having a hard enough time accepting my decision.  ugh

my mom again with old wives tales- put a quarter on lo's belly button when you bathe him so water doesnt get in there, wrap a cloth around lo's belly so they dont get a potbelly, massage lo's legs so they dont turn inward or outward

mil- "cut the babys eyelashes so they grow faster and longer"

mil when griffin was contently sitting in his carseat- "oh he wants his paci, give him his paci, wheres his paci?"  she puts the paci in his mouth and he keeps making a sour face and spitting out the paci lol

mil- "oh griffins really tired" so she starts rocking him and rocking him but his eyes are wide open and hes obv not sleepy

mil when lo is making noises "hes taking a poop, check his diaper!"  actually no, hes just talking

i could go on and on... 

• My mom when I told her that I was going to stop breastfeeding "I don't want you to give up, have you tried different positions?" Of course I have tried different positions and like I didn't feel bad enough for not being able to breast feed.......
  • Wow. I don't think I can top any of yours. Indifferent

I posted a vent a few posts down that has the "I need to borrow DS to practice with."

Same friend below- "He has some crazy eyebrows" (they aren't crazy, they are just fine, TYVM.)

She also said, "He's like a real baby now, not just a little blob." (he's always been a real baby. F-you.) 

She also said when he was 8 weeks old, "you need to put him in his crib and shut the door and just let him cry himself to sleep. It's better if you don't hear it, bc you'll leak everywhere." Um, I have never had a leaking problem. I only leak when I'm really engorged, usually first thing in the a.m. 

My sister also said, "He's manipulating you! You have to let him CIO!" Uhhh NO. 

My mom- "He has gas. You need to give him drops. He has gas. He is gassy. He's gassy. He has gas." I KNOW HE HAS MUTHEREFFEN GAS! GAH!

Oh the anti-BF comments before he came! "You'll never last. You are only an A cup, you'll never produce enough milk, you'll never pump, you'll find it too annoying, you'll have supply issues, you're so small. He won't latch, he's 2 weeks early, he won't like BF-ing"

Needless to say, This is the same person (my sister) I will constantly say, "I pumped 24 ounces this morning!" and so forth to. Just to rub it in. I have very good supply despite my A cup and I make every effort to remind her of it! Embarrassed

• imagemishu917:

My mom is awesome and gives advice but doesn't force me to do it or lament on it.

DH's Dad... 

Let her CIO, you won't always be around to help her. Are you really going to pick her up? So you're going to stop what you're doing to pick her up? YES YES YES YES YES!!!

Why are you buying a new car seat? I paid $1 for Nate's carseat used (Nate= DH)

She needs to stay up for a few hours, she's never going to become active if she sleeps all the time ( this was at 9 days old).

He also told me many times to prop her bottle up on some rolled blankets to feed her so that I could leave her and go do other things.

Oh yea, he's a doc. 

Wow, I hope he's not a pediatrician!

• My mother - "Crying is good for their lungs" (this was straight out of the hospital... LO was less than a week when she offered this 'excellent' advice)

MIL - "Car seat expiry dates are just in place so you have to buy another carseat and spend more money" and "I think these manufacturers are making things with poor quality these days so you have to spend more money".  Yeah.. it's a conspiracy. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

BFP #1 ~ 1/26/2010 ~ MMC @ 6w6d discovered @ 11w3d ~ D&C 3/16/10
    BFP #2 ~ 4/22/2010 ~ EDD 12/29/2010 ~ Born 12/19/2010 ~ My Rainbow Baby
    BFP #3 ~ 6/10/2012 ~ EDD 2/20/2013 ~ HB 100bpm @ 9w3d ~ M/C 7/11/2012
    BFP #4 ~ 3/16/2013 ~ EDD 11/20/2013 ~ Born 11/17/2013 ~ Rainbow Baby #2
  • imagexxbabycakesxx:

my mom when i told her i quit bf and switched to ff- "you know bm is the best for baby" really??  wow mom i didnt know that.  like im not having a hard enough time accepting my decision.  ugh

my mom again with old wives tales- put a quarter on lo's belly button when you bathe him so water doesnt get in there, wrap a cloth around lo's belly so they dont get a potbelly, massage lo's legs so they dont turn inward or outward

mil- "cut the babys eyelashes so they grow faster and longer"

mil when griffin was contently sitting in his carseat- "oh he wants his paci, give him his paci, wheres his paci?"  she puts the paci in his mouth and he keeps making a sour face and spitting out the paci lol

mil- "oh griffins really tired" so she starts rocking him and rocking him but his eyes are wide open and hes obv not sleepy

mil when lo is making noises "hes taking a poop, check his diaper!"  actually no, hes just talking

i could go on and on... 

cut the baby's eyeleashes?? haha that's a new one! yes DS...let me get this scissors right next to your eyeball just bc your grandma thinks this will help...Sorry this one just made me laugh.

My big issue is FIL.."You don't need this paci" (while putting his old man fingers in my sons mouth to suck on.

FIL (again)- "You need to be feeding him more..put another ounce in his bottle" then everytime I talk to him..."how did he do with the extra ounce?"  NO you dumb A$$ don't assume that just because you tell me to do this EVERYTIME you see us that I'm gonna do it...I'm his mom, I will feed him as I see fit.

MIL-"You shouldn't hold him laying down, babies like to be propped up on your shoulder"

MIL (in a baby voice) - "Your mommy and daddy spoil you don't they?  Grandma will teach you to be independent" ....and this is exactly why you don't watch him!

FIL (while dipping his finger in sprite or koolaide and trying to put it in DS mouth) - "Your system has to get used to it sometime"...nope pretty sure my 2 month olds system does not need to get used to sugar, or your finger in his mouth!

• Some of you have some crazyassed family members.
  • That is terrible!!! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagePunkyBooster:

Wow. I don't think I can top any of yours. Indifferent

I posted a vent a few posts down that has the "I need to borrow DS to practice with."

Same friend below- "He has some crazy eyebrows" (they aren't crazy, they are just fine, TYVM.)

She also said, "He's like a real baby now, not just a little blob." (he's always been a real baby. F-you.) 

She also said when he was 8 weeks old, "you need to put him in his crib and shut the door and just let him cry himself to sleep. It's better if you don't hear it, bc you'll leak everywhere." Um, I have never had a leaking problem. I only leak when I'm really engorged, usually first thing in the a.m. 

My sister also said, "He's manipulating you! You have to let him CIO!" Uhhh NO. 

My mom- "He has gas. You need to give him drops. He has gas. He is gassy. He's gassy. He has gas." I KNOW HE HAS MUTHEREFFEN GAS! GAH!

Oh the anti-BF comments before he came! "You'll never last. You are only an A cup, you'll never produce enough milk, you'll never pump, you'll find it too annoying, you'll have supply issues, you're so small. He won't latch, he's 2 weeks early, he won't like BF-ing"

Needless to say, This is the same person (my sister) I will constantly say, "I pumped 24 ounces this morning!" and so forth to. Just to rub it in. I have very good supply despite my A cup and I make every effort to remind her of it! Embarrassed

Oh yes, those 2 month old babies are such evil manipulators.... they have this evil plan already worked out in thier head of how to get you to do exactly what they want...

and ps, SO jealous of your 24oz in the am!! you go girl!

and i thought i loved you then <3<a href="http://daisypath.com/">Daisypath Anniversary tickersBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Missed Miscarriage discovered at 9w6d
    D&E 10.27.2011
    I'll love you forever Baby Speck Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Well let's just say I haven't spoken to my mother in like a month because we failed at BFing. It went from trying to help to pressuring me to do it. DD just REFUSED to BF. She didn't want to do it. I tried to make her, she would scream at the top of her lungs and pull away. What do you want me to do, make her starve until she finally decides to take a boob? No thanks.

She told me I wasn't try hard enough and that my "priorities are off" (because we took newborn photos!). I asked her to just trust that I'm doing what's best for MY baby and support me in my decisions. She said she absolutely would not support me in not BFing. Listen lady, it's not that I'm choosing not to BF, it's that I can't!  So thanks about making me feel worse about not being able to BF when it's was the ONE thing I really really wanted to do.

• MIL (to LO, in baby voice): "Oh, you're crying because your little feet are cold!"  [Since the house is 70+ degrees, no, I don't always put socks on DD.  And she has never, in my experience, cried for this reason!]

Along the same lines, my FIL's long, emailed essay detailing our supposed failure to dress LO warmly enough...! 

Me, while FIL is holding LO: "Here Dad, why don't you give her her bottle?"        FIL: "What makes you think she's hungry?"  [and WALKS AWAY WITH HER!!!]               Me, following them: "She's shoving her fists in her mouth."                                    FIL, still walking: "That doesn't mean she's hungry."  [As if he would know!  He's just met her; I'd been caring for her for six weeks! ....He finally believed me when she began to scream.  :) ]

TTC'd unsuccessfully from 2004-2010 Adopted our beautiful baby girl in December 2010!! Currently matched for second adoption
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"