Special Needs
Options

Fed up with the medical system!

Just to let you know, this is going to be a rant.....  :)

Since Drake was 4 weeks early, we didn't have time to pick a pedi.  Luckily (and not so much as you will find out) the pedi on call was one of the best in town. We live in a fairly small town so pickins are slim.  The doc pegged him for VATER (or VACTERL as it turned out) almost immediately.  While we were in the NICU he would call there or us at least weekly to get an update.  We were quite impressed to say the least.

So, Drake hit his lifetime max on my insurance while he was in the NICU for 6 months and has now hit the allowed yearly restoration for this year and we are forced to be on Medi-Cal.  Now this amazing doctor is dropping like a hot potato!  So here is my complaint;  since my son is so complicated we can't get good medical care.  Does that make any sense to anyone else?  All of the good and experienced doctors don't want to have anything to do with Medi-Cal because they don't have to!  It's not like we're riding the system!  Both my DH and I work and pay taxes but because there are people out there that think they can make $15k a year and have 12 kids our last resort for help isn't going to help us like we need it to!

To top it off, we're still not sure if our ENT is going to drop us also.  Our other option is to drive 3 hours round trip anytime our son gets sick.  Who wants to put their sick toddler in a car and drive for 3 hours? 

What I'd like to do is write a letter to the local paper complaining about this.  I, of course, wouldn't use the doctor's name but I think people would figure it out.  Does that sound too harsh?  I just think that things regarding medical programs should change and all doctors should be required to accept a certain number of patients that are on government funded programs.

Anyone have any opinions? 

Re: Fed up with the medical system!

• Options

I can't believe the doctor doesn't want to take care of your son anymore just because of your insurance!  That is unbelievable! 
    Did the doctor tell you he doesn't want to see your son anymore? 
    Good luck and I hope you get things resolved!

• Options
    that is horrible, I am so sorry you are going through this.   I would write a letter to the local paper and even use the doctors name.  The doctor shouldn't stop seeing your son b/c of your insurance.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

What a completely crappy position to be in. There really aren't enough hours in the day to give good care to a child with special needs AND fight the medical system. There is a particular doctor that we want to blow a whistle on.....but, we are worried that if we cause a big stink, no one will care for Trevor. Don't you just feel like your hands are tied? It is like the doctors hold all of the cards. Sorry, that isn't really help, but, you are not alone.

• Options
    I definitely think you should write a letter to your local paper and use the doctor's name. Also, since it is an election year, cc a copy of your letter to your local congressman or assemblyman. If there is one thing that politicians don't avoid is helping sick kids. You are a great advocate for your DS but now it's time to get people to rally behind you. Contact your local TV station, get your neighbors, friends and family to get angry for you. Sometimes you need a group of people to stand up for you. You should not stand for the BS.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I knew a group of special needs moms would get it!  :)

I was kind of letting off some steam but I really think something needs to be done about this!  I really want to write the letter to the paper and the only thing holding me back is the fact that R*Lou brought up - docs rally together!  However, since none of the docs in town are acceptable to us, I think I might write the letter.  We'll see how brave I get when it comes to the amount of info.  :)

We do know that they are dropping us because of the insurance because they told us right from the beginning that they don't accept any of these programs (we also have CCS - California Children's Services). 

I've actually come to grips with the fact that we are going to have to drive a distance for a pedi but the good news is our ENT is most likely going to make an exception and bill CCS!!!!  That is huge for us!  Yay!

Thanks to all of you for your support!

amajane - I like your style!  You and I could do some damage!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"