Austin Babies

parents of school aged kids-

Jack is starting to write more and I just realized, I have no idea if the schools are teaching D'Nealian (what we used in NC), Getty-Dubay (what we used in England), or the ol' Zaner-Bloser (what I learned when I was in school). Do you know what they are teaching?

Examples:

Getty-Dubay (you can't see much of a difference in the print, but it's a tad more slanted and connects differently w/ cursive)

Zaner-Bloser (classic ball and stick...that's what she said):

D'Nealian:

Re: parents of school aged kids-

• uhhhh....wow.  Jakob is only in third grade, I really should know this.

The first one looks the most familiar.  But except for the psycho teacher he had in 1st grade, they haven't focused on handwriting much.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I believe Zaner-Bloser was what I saw most widely used in the district and in the curriculum that we are currently publishing.

Cursive has been taken out of the curriculum in Texas (not sure if that's national or not??). 

Dear Bump: You suck.
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm pretty sure it's Zaner-Bloser.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

• My MIL says D'Nealian (she asked DD's teacher) but I don't recall DD writing her k's like that. I would guess Zaner-Bloser.
  • Wow I had no idea there were different styles... I mean it makes sense but I just didn't know, interesting!

imagerssnlvr:

Cursive has been taken out of the curriculum in Texas (not sure if that's national or not??). 

Wow.  Anyone know why?

• imageMichelle&Russ:

Wow I had no idea there were different styles... I mean it makes sense but I just didn't know, interesting!

imagerssnlvr:

Wow.  Anyone know why?

it's not really functional in our society anymore. we type everything, pay bills online, send emails rather than notes. cursive was a way of printing faster- now, we just type faster.

• At UT, we were taught to teach D'Nealian.  When I student taught in AISD, I always saw D'Nealian being taught and on the walls, etc.  FWIW, we also still taught cursive in the 2nd grade, I didn't know about Texas not requiring it anymore.
  • My mother has taught K in RRISD  for 33 years.  They use D'Nealian, unless that has changed in the last year and she is wrong.... b/c she started teaching PE.
  • Thanks MC, that makes sense. It does make me a little sad though because I still use it for Thank You's, invitations... stuff like that. 
  • My eldest learned D'Nealian in kindergarten, and she's starting to work on cursive now (she's currently in 2nd grade). Both of the schools she's attended were AISD schools in Central Austin.

Also, we were told by her kinder teacher that kids were being taught D'Nealian because it transitions more easily into cursive.  ??

• Well damn. I've been teaching Abby Zaner-Bloser. Frick, my kid is going to be all kinds of messed up!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • imagebluestreet:

My eldest learned D'Nealian in kindergarten, and she's starting to work on cursive now (she's currently in 2nd grade). Both of the schools she's attended were AISD schools in Central Austin.

Also, we were told by her kinder teacher that kids were being taught D'Nealian because it transitions more easily into cursive.  ??

The removal of cursive from the Common Core Standards was something that just happened at the end of last year, so I'm sure it'll take a loooong time for that to trickle down into the actual classrooms. The Common Core Standards are national standards that were developed in an attempt to standardize the skills that are taught by grade and subject across the country. States must vote to adopt the standards, though it appears that Texas has NOT adopted the national standards (link to article).

Here's an article on the fact that cursive isn't included in the CCS.

Dear Bump: You suck.
  • Abby's PreK teacher taught Kinder in LISD for 20 years and retired last year.  I noticed she has been teaching them Zaner- Bloser, so I assumed that is what she used in her Kinder class.  I was bad I did not teach Abby any "standard." I would just write the letter for her and she would copy it.  Although it has been mostly capital letters that Abby writes until recently.  I am now trying to get her to write correctly using lower case and capital letters. 

I can ask Abby's teacher on Monday what they use in LISD.

• Whatevs.  This is what we're teaching DD now.  Zaner-Bloser can suck it.

• D'Nealian is what was taught at my old school...and our kids still learned cursive in 2nd-3rd grade. I know my mom taught it this year too - I didn't realize it'd been taken out of the curriculum. I understand why, but it's still kinda sad!
  • This is interesting. I had no idea cursive was being taken out of the curriculum. What happens to good penmanship?  I remember in Kinder and first grade I was taught Zaner-Bloser (although I don't think it was called that back then.)  Then, in 2-4rth grade we learned D'Nealian to help transition us to cursive, which we learned in 5th grade. Getty-Dubay doesn't look familiar at all. 

So cursive starts in 2nd grade for some?  Wow...I'm old. 

• imageMrsRosie:
    imageMrsMillerTime:

Whatevs.  This is what we're teaching DD now.  Zaner-Bloser can suck it.

Good practice for when she becomes a tattoo artist?

Nah man, she can come stencil our last name on the back of DH's truck.
  • imageNessia:
    imageMrsRosie:
    imageMrsMillerTime:

Whatevs.  This is what we're teaching DD now.  Zaner-Bloser can suck it.

Good practice for when she becomes a tattoo artist?

Nah man, she can come stencil our last name on the back of DH's truck.

someone please pass some napkins.  I just spewed soda all over my computer.

• imageTaytee:
    Well damn. I've been teaching Abby Zaner-Bloser. Frick, my kid is going to be all kinds of messed up!

DD is learning cursive.  It's going to be very interesting when/if she switches schools...

• If you don't learn cursive how do you learn to sign your name? Even with a lot of things being typed, you do still have to at least sign your name from time to time.
  • imagegofurr25:
    If you don't learn cursive how do you learn to sign your name? Even with a lot of things being typed, you do still have to at least sign your name from time to time.

there is nothing that says your signature needs to be in cursive. my legible signature isn't cursive and my illegible signature isn't anything identifiable, really. a manuscript signature is no less legally binding than one written in cursive.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"