Multiples

How soon did you take babies out?

I'm wondering how long everyone waited to take the babies out after getting home from the hospital.  Our babies will be born during the summer, so I don't think we'll have to worry as much about things like colds and RSV.  However, I'm still nervous about taking them out too soon.  What's the "standard"?

P.S.--What prompted this question was the fact that I've been looking at photographers for newborn pics and one suggested coming to her studio within the first week after they were born.  I'm thinking that's way too early!  We're now looking for ones that will come to our house.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: How soon did you take babies out?

• Our girls are just a little over 4 months and haven't been anywhere other than doctors offices and my parents house. We haevn't taken them anywhere b/c of RSV and germs and we still got RSV in Decemeber. They were 6 weeks early and super tiny 2 and 3 lbs b/c of IUGR. We are planning to try church in March since RSV is pretty much over then- we live in the south.

I wouldn't try to go out too soon even with it being summer. Those babies will stay the healthiest at home!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We went to Target a couple days after coming home, and we were in and out of the hospital for the whole first week because of Riley's jaundice.  I just made sure no one touched them or got too near. 

That said, I would look for an on location photographer anyway.  Newborns usually do *much* better in their own home than in a studio.  And make sure their session time is long enough to include feedings and calming the babies down when necessary.  Most photographers allow anywhere from 2-4 hours for newborn sessions so that it's as relaxed as possible and you don't have to worry about rushing a cranky baby (or two). 

HTH!

• Loading the player...
  • Mine were born in July too.  DS1 was in the NICU for longer, so we'd just bring DS2 with us to the hospital.  I guess technically, we took him out at 10 days.

As far as the real world, we had premies, so the NICU told us to wait until their due date before taking them out.  My first trip was to Bed Bath and Beyond at 6 weeks.  It was so much fun!

We had our newborn photographer come to our house.  She ended up doing them at 3 weeks since DH didn't feel comfortable any sooner.  They'd just come home from the NICU, and they were really small.  I'd search for a photographer to come to your house and keep the date flexible.  Many twins have at least some NICU time.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Our LOs were born in August at 36w4d weighing 5+ pounds, and the pedi still asked that we not take them out until their 2-month appointment when they get their first vaccines. He said that if they got sick before that, they'd likely end up in the hospital, and that was enough to scare us into following his advice.

To be honest, it sucked not being able to take them out, but we did what we had to do. (We did take them to the IL's house a bunch before 2 months, but that's the only place they went other than dr's appts and for walks around the neighborhood).

• We took them out for the first time after they were 6 weeks old.  We still don't take them out often. Usually once or twice over the weekend. Then for normal doctor's appts.
  • imageleslie13510:

Newborns usually do *much* better in their own home than in a studio. 

Forget the babies, I was a mess during our newborn shoot!  She was my friend, it was our house, and she said we'd take as long as necessary.  I was still flipping out with anxiety!
  • We took them to Costco when they were a week old. I had to get a prescription filled and there was no way I was going in alone (still feeling a little weak from the c-section, I wanted DH there in case something happened. Babies were with us because it was during the day). I think one other time we took them out for a quick grocery trip (around 4 weeks), just because I wanted to get out of the house. We went to my parents and ILs a few times as well (this is all prior to them turning 2 months old). Like PP said, I would not take a newborn to a studio. Most photographers do in-house photo shoots with newborns. So, to answer your question - mine were born in late June and I had them out right away but if I were you I'd try and find a photographer who will come to your home just for your own convenience. GL!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Shoot, I took the babies with me when I voted in the primary election when they were maybe 4-5 days old. And then we went out to lunch!

I was never told to not take them anywhere, and I found that it helped my sanity to get out, so out we went. I tried to get out on one errand each day starting when they were really very small. They were born in August. They've never been sick.

I would have acted differently if they'd been born during RSV season.

My newborn photographer came to me. You should definitely find somebody that does that, for all the reasons PPs said.

• I may be in the minority here but we take ours out all the time. I can't stay in this house every single day. I'd go insane. That being said my babies were born at 37w6d and both over 6lbs. No one ever said not to take them out. We were encouraged to get out of the house with them.

We took them to WalMart and a family Thanksgiving dinner at 5 days old. They were fine. Neither has been sick since being born. We take them to the mall, out for lunch, to playgroups and playdates, appointments, grocery shopping. They get dropped off at my gym's daycare on occasion when IL's or my Mom can't watch them and we take them with us to friends' houses on the weekends when we go out. Really, where ever we go, the twins go too. When the weather improves they'll be going out a heII of a lot more too!

• Mine were born in November, and I took them to church at 2 weeks, sitting in an area separate from the rest of the congregation (kind of a lobby area).  I only did it because I'd been out and about running errands the week prior (without babies) and felt like if I could do that, I could go to mass, and DH got called into work on an emergency project.  We took them to look for a Christmas tree at about 5 weeks old, but it was about 75 degrees that day.  They have been to church a handful of times, Target about twice, and a few family/friends houses.  The last time we were out, there were so many people coughing and sick I just felt super uncomfortable about being out of the house with them.  So we are pretty much keeping them out of the general public until it's warmer and RSV season is over.  We will probably take them to Mardi Gras (in March), weather permitting. 
  • A PP reminded me--while we didn't take them out anyplace like Target, we did go out to lunch and dinner quite a few times where we could sit outside at restaurants. We also got take-out a few times and did picnics with the babies outside. All of this helped us from going stir crazy staying indoors.
  • Ours were born March 16, and were almost a month early, so I did wait a bit to take them out-out.  In other words, we had to go to the doctor when they were one week old (so essentially two days after we were discharged) to check on their weights, and we went back again a week later to make sure they were gaining weight, but those "outings" were literally just in an out of the car to go to the doctor.

After those visits, I think I took them for a walk in the stroller around 6 weeks old, when the weather was nicer, and I took them to Target by myself for the first time around then as well. 

I really think it depends on the weather (since it's summer, you should be okay temperature-wise), their health, and how you are feeling.  My c-section recovery was okay, but it was still hard for me to lift things and stand for long periods of time for the first month to month-and-a-half.

• all of my boys- born in March and in June - were out about 6 days after they were born.... went out to eat with Griffin the day after he was home from the hospital (we were there extra days b/c of jaundice and my kidney issues).... and the twins were out to eat that first weekend home, too.

we took Griffin to church at 3w old... kept him in the infant seat- nobody touched him....  If you are just careful about people getting too close ie) don't be afraid to say "BACK OFF BEEOCH!" then there's really no reason to worry when it's not RSV season, etc.

• We took the babies on a trip 3 1/2 hours away at 2 weeks old. My babies were born at 38w 5d and were 6lbs10oz and 7lbs1oz, and were born May 21st. I had to take my teaching exams and the closest location to take them was 3 1/2 hours away, so we stayed at my brothers house close by. My brother also had a newborn that was 6 days younger than my babies, so it was a house full of newborns. My babies got sick for the first time a few weeks ago and it was just a simple cold.

We never did newborn photos, but if we did we would have found someone to come to our house.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 008
  • Ours are almost 4 months old and since it's prime RSV season we only take them to doctor appointments or walks around the block if it's nice.  They have still managed to get sick even though we are obsessive about who comes in and washing our hands.  Once RSV season is over (April) we will start taking them places. 

I think you can easily find someone to come to your house to do newborn pics.  You always have to worry about germs (especially if they're premature) so I would wait at least 2-4 weeks before you take them anywhere really germy (mall, etc)

• Haven't been out too much.... (because of RSV season) and my little one, Kate was IUGR...and they denied her the Synagis vaccine.  My DD Lauren was approved for the vaccine.  Insurance companies! Confused

anyhoo... since my girls were in the NICU for a bit... we didn't get our first "newborn" pics until 3 months.  The photographer was willing to come to our house or for us to go to her studio.  I felt comfortable in her studio.  The babies did great there.  She had very warm space heaters, etc. running during the shoot.  I will try and attach a pic from the pics.....imageimage" mce_src="image">

TTC for 12 years. m/c 2009. BFP on New Year's 2010. Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • DD went out to eat at 4 days old while DS was in the NICU. We lived out of a hotel for the 1st month to be closer to DS and since there was no kitchen we lived off fast food and restaurants and she went everywhere with us. We made sure no one touched her and only DH and I held her while we were out. DS came home on a friday and we were out at the grocery story on saturday. I would go with a photographer that will come to you, less anxiety all around.
    Our Blog TTC since 10/2004 Follistim+Ovidril+Metformin=BFP on 12/8/08 2 heartbeats-12/30/08 Betas- 10DPO-104 12DPO-274 Photobucket Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • My girls were born the beginning of November and we took them to have newborn pics at our photographers studio at just 1 week old.  I have an older DD so there is only so much protection from germs.  Plus we started going to the mall, out to eat, etc when they were 2 weeks old and I was able to get out.  I cannot stay at home and DH hates being cooped up on the weekends.  Since they were 3 weeks old I have gone to the mall to meet some other MoMs every Thursday (well except when they were sick).  They did get sick with RSV but thats because my older DD brought it home from daycare, not from being out in public.  No one touches them when we go out, they just look from a distance. I did ask one lady once if she wouldn't get so close and she apologized and backed up.

I should add my girls were born at 38 weeks and weighed 6.10 and 7lbs and came home with us when I was discharged.  

DD was born in January and we started taking her out right away.  So we did the same with the twins since they were full term and had no health problems.   

• The NICU nurses told us to not take them out until they were 2 months old.  Sorry- that's not do-able for me!

I was a mess and other than doctor appointments did not want to get out the first four weeks.  I took them out for lunch with a friend and to do some BRU errands at five weeks, and then we were out doing stuff every week from there on out.

If I hadn't been such a mess (the girls had weight gain issues, I was struggling learning to BF them, and had some MAJOR post partum hormones making me crazy), we probably would have gone out before 4 weeks.

Here comes Baby #3! BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"