Baby Names
Options

kate ..just plain ol kate?

what are your thoughts? dh likes caitlin but i think it sounds too young/kiddie for an adult. i like katherine as a full name but admit we'd probably never call her that..i've always loved katie as a nn..middle name would be patricia after my mom..i think dh and i may be able to compromise on kate as a fn..do u think it sounds too nick-namey for a fn? (sorry in advance for terrible punctuation; im on a cell phone) 

Re: kate ..just plain ol kate?

• Options
    I love Katherine w/ nn Kate, not Katie. I'm not loving Kate alone as the legal first name.
    Married 5/31/08 * TTC#1 9/09 - 2/11
    after anovulatory diagnosis and TTC for 1 1/2yrs with several medicated cycles and one chemical pregnancy, we have our first bundle of joy!
    IT'S A GIRL!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    #2 EDD 2/5/13 dx with anti-BIG E antibody, seeing a MFM
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    VOTE on my Name List
    I don't take one single minute for granted.
  • Options
    If I met someone named Kate, I would assume her name was Katherine. I don't think of it as a first name but a nickname. But, Caitlin is not young. It is the Irish form of Catherine. That said, I would go with Catherine or Caitlin and call her Cate or Caitie. But, that's just my personal taste.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie - (hfj2)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I like Katherine Patricia best (agree about not just using Kate alone).  But, go with your gut!
  • Options
    I like Kate w/ the nn Katie.
    P - 9/2008
    A - 8/2010
    L - 1/2013
    S - 3/2015
  • Options

Love, love, love.  It's one of our names too.

• Options
    Generally, I prefer to give full names and then just call the kid by the middle name.  It's nice to have something more formal even if you never use it except on your resume.  But I think Kate is a nice name standing alone, as well.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I like Kate just on its own and it's on my list.

Caitlin is okay and I"m not really a fan of Katherine.

Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

imageDDearinger:
    I like the name Kate by itself. 

agreed.

BFP #1 via IUI ~ L (Fatal Birth Defect) 4/7/10
    BFP #2 via IUI ~ m/c
    BFP #3 via cancelled IUI ~ C (2lb 3oz; HELLP) 5/16/11
    BFP #4 via the natural (free!) way ~ E (8lb 11oz) 9/13/12

• Options
    imagedamabo80:

imageDDearinger:
    I like the name Kate by itself. 

agreed.

x 2.  Kate/Cate is on our list as well.  I like simple, one syllable names... 

Prudence
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Otis
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    if that's what you like go for it. i love all full names of kate and kate itself.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Please give her a full name. Kate is fine, but Katherine provides options.
  • Options

I am a Kate, formal name Kathryn. I like this because in professional settings I go by Kathryn- interviews, papers... etc.  In daily life I have always gone by Katie or Kate.  

I think Kate as a first name is too nicknamey. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I think Kate works fine by itself.  I interview people all the time for finance positions and I wouldn't think twice about seeing Kate as the name on a resume.  I'm not a fan of Katie even for a little girl.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Options
    I'm ok with just Kate.  One of my friends named her baby this.  The friends' name is Tricia (not Patricia) and so I think she's used to the nickname as formal name option.  To me, if that's what you plan to call her I'd go for naming it.  People don't need "options" IMO.
  • Options

We knew we wanted to name DD Cate. But we wanted to give her options as she grows older. So we named her Catherine. We NEVER call her that, but it provides her with more to work with as she ages than Cate would.

• Options
    I love Katherine/Catherine but I have friends that are just plain Kate, too, and it works. I have a friend whose given name is Katie and I thought that was kind of silly...she ended up just going by Kate a lot of the time, even though it wasn't her actual name.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    thx ladies, keep going back and forth on this one :)
  • Options
    I think the name Kate is a good stand alone name, however I do think Katherine or Kaitlin (sp?) sound better with Patricia as a middle name.  
  • Options

I am a Katharine, and have gone by Katie (as a child) and converted to Kate (as an adult) I never use my full name unless its for legal documents. I do get asked if its short for Katharine, Kathryn, Kaitlyn, etc. I tell people, but I have never been called it. I prefer Kate. I hate being called Katie, and wish my parents had just called me Kate from the beginning. I also hate it when I tell someone my name, and they choose to call me Katie instead. It grates me so bad!

My stepdaughter has 2 names, both shortenings of another names. I dislike having shortened names, but think Katharine is a good convert for Kate. Go with what you feel!

• Options
    I am a Katie, but it's a nn for Kathryn. Personally, I HATE when people call me Kate, but I think it's just because it's not my name. Personally, I like how I spell Kathryn as opposed to Katherine.
  • Options
    My dd's middle name is Kate.  I think it's fine as a stand-alone name.  I don't like naming your child one thing with every intention of calling her something else.  If you're going to call her Kate, I'd name her Kate.  JMO, though...
  • Options

I love the name Kate, but dislike all the names that are shortened to Kate (Caitlin, Catherine, Kathleen, etc.)  So we named DD Kaatje which is the dutch form of Catherine.  Sidenote: My gram's middle name is Catherine, so we wanted to honor her in some way. 

photo 444e1a74-1f01-47b5-8489-88b2999f2e54_zpse873dcde.jpg 

Mommy's sweet girls

Kaatje Grace 4.26.2010

Eloise Hope 2.10.2012

• Options

I actually know quite a few Kate-not-Katherines and they are all professionals, so it doesn't strike me as odd.

I think it's a nickname that can definitely stand alone. 

• Options
    imagefraglette:

I actually know quite a few Kate-not-Katherines and they are all professionals, so it doesn't strike me as odd.

I think it's a nickname that can definitely stand alone. 

Yes 

• Options
    I actually like the name Kate much better than any of the longer forms.  I will admit that it's hard to pair with a middle name, but I went to high school with a Kate whose mn was Wesley after her dad.  I thought Kate Wesley was a perfect name for her.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"