3rd Trimester

Has your doctor done this? Not a bad thing.

I had an appointment today and my doctor had to go deliver a baby. I know that its expected and I wasn't at all upset. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had to reschedule or wait for longer than the normal amount of time because their doctor was just doing their job and delivering a baby. I ended up waiting a half hour and she was there. I'm actually surprised this hasn't happened before.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers

I lost my angels 07/2010, 04/2017, 10/2017

Meimsx no more

Re: Has your doctor done this? Not a bad thing.

• Yep, this happened at my 20 week appointment when I had the anatomy scan.  They forgot to tell us that she had left to go do a c-section and we ended up waiting an hour before they realized it!  But I just went back a few days later.  DF was a little sad because he wanted to meet the doc, but I understand.  Baby was breech, I'd rather her take care of that baby than worry about going over my results.
    image April 2, 2011 Exclusive Pumping Facebook Group http://www.facebook.com/groups/113592028761826/ Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yeah, I waited 2 hours once, and twice I waited an hour. 

I waited 2 hours on my first appointment with him and I was like holy cow... this is rediculous... it better not be like this every time and I didnt even think about the fact that he is out delivering babies!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I go to a practice where they rotate which doctor I see, so that I'm not scheduled to see someone who is at the hospital that day. That being said, I've had appointments (PLURAL!) canceled because they changed which doctor would be at the hospital and which would be in the office. I tell myself that these things can't be helped, because of the nature of their work, but it's annoying.
    BFP #1 5/1/10, missed mc dx 6/4/10 BFP #2 8/5/10, baby boy arrived 4/25/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Hasn't happened yet, but most of my doctor's practice isn't delivering babies. My previous family doc also delivered babies, and never missed an appointment on me.
  • Yup.  It's only happened once.  I was actually surprised it hasn't happened more often.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • This has happened to me a few times before.  If you end up delivering during the day on a weekday, other women are going to end up rescheduling or waiting longer b/c their Dr will be with you.
  • Actually, no, this hasn't happened to me yet which I find a little surprising since my doctor's office is just him and not a practice! 
  • I haven't had this issue, but there are 3 doctors in the practice.  They rotate who is on call in the hospital daily so that isn't a problem.
  • This just happened at my appointment last week.  I waited about 45 minutes and the doctor came back.   I just figure she could be out delivering mine one day, so it won't hurt me to wait.  
    But three things remain: faith, hope and love; the greatest of these is love. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I've had a MW appt. rescheduled bc my MW was at a birth. That's ok by me. If my MW up and left while I was in labour because she had clinic appointments, I'd be peeved.

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

• This happened once and it only ended up being 20 mins.  Then when my doctor came in he appologized and explained that he had been on call all night and been with the woman in labor.  They decided she would need a c-section and he did not want to just pass her off to a different doctor at shift change so he stayed and did her c-section before starting his morning appointments.  I have to say this made me love my doctor even more and I wasn't the least bit upset about it :)

Mom to my angel Mia born 04/18/2003 @ 25 4/7 weeks due to severe eclampsia and HELLP. Now enjoying getting to be a mom my miracle little boy Tripp who was born 03/21/11 and was full term! Baby #3 due 10/13/13!
  • No, it hasn't happened to me and I've been totally surprised.  My group is MFM with 3 doctors, so I assume not everyone uses them as their delivery doc and that is why there is always someone there. In fact, I've never waited more than 15 minutes--they've got their routine down pat!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Yep, at my 34w appt, I was waiting forever in the waiting room. The nurse then came out to tell me that my Dr had to run into an emergency surgey with another Dr, and asked if I minded seeing someone else. I saw a midwife for my appt that day.
  • This would never happen because there are 10 doctors in my practice, and when you schedule your appointment, you see YOUR doctor, and whomever is on-call at the hospital is the one delivering babies.

I suppose the downside is that if you go into labor, it's luck of the draw as to whether or not your doctor is the one on-call. But I've met all the doctors at one point or another anyway, so it would be no big deal to me if my specific doc weren't the one doing the catching, so to speak. It's the L&D nurses who do most of the grunt work while you're in labor anyway ;-)

• This happened my first pregnancy and there were ladies that got pissed off, umm really, when your in labor do you want the doctor to finish her patients first?
  • Nope. My practice has 5 doctors and they are on-call different days then they schedule clinic hours.
  • imageManiacMcGee:
    Nope. My practice has 5 doctors and they are on-call different days then they schedule clinic hours.

This exactly! My doctor doesn't schedule clinic hours when she is on call. 

imageimage
    BFP # 1- DS ~ TTC #2 since Jan. 2012 - BFP # 2 - "Baby Elsie" - Blighted Ovum - D&C August 22, 2012 at 7w3d, BFP # 3 - CP - December 30, 2012, BFP # 4 - CP - March 19, 2013 ~ First RE Appt. 4/24/13 Med cycle #1: 50mg Clomid and Trigger shot = BFN. Med. Cycle #2: 6 cysts found. No meds/rest cycle. Trying on our own = BFP # 5! Beta #1 = 77, Beta #2 = 129 Beta #3 = 94 - CP - July 2, 2013. BFP # 6! Beta#1 = 21, Beta#2 =58 Beta#3 = 134. U/S shows heartbeat of 142 at 7w2d!
  • My 24 week appointment was scheduled for 9am.  I ended up waiting almost an hour because my doctor was doing a c-section.  I guess it was scheduled for a few days later, but the woman's water broke at 4am that day. 

IAmPregnant Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • This hasn't ever happened to me with a doctor in our practice, since they don't schedule appointments with whomever is on call that day.  However, I'm surprised it never happened with my mid-wife, since she was the only mid-wife in the practice, and if any patient had chosen to have a mid-wife delivery then she always tried to be there.  But then again, I only saw her at the end of my pregnancies, she doesn't see anyone till after 28 weeks. 
    Jack 3.5.07 / Ethan 9.17.08 / Lauren 4.3.11 image
  • Yes.  I waited almost 2 hours for one appointment, but that was the only time.  They also called and changed an appointment once because he had to go into surgery, but that was only from morning to afternoon so it was no big deal.
    Mommy to Violet 4/4/2011 and Linnea 2/10/2013
    Anniversary
  • This has happened to me twice and one time I didn't wait too long and my doctor came in, the second time I saw her PA. Not a big deal to me. It makes me happy to know that my doctor does her best to be at all her patient's births no matter what time of day it is. It's not like a lot happens at the appointments anyway: pee, measure belly, blood pressure and baby heart rate.
    DSCN3691-1

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Shoot, I had to wait 4 hours one time..
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yep. When I went to my Level II ultrasound, the doctor was 2 hours late for my appointment. I was the first appointment, at 9:15, I was seen around 11:20. He had to attend to an issue at the hospital (which is on the same campus)
  • Yup, it's expected here. Everyone in the waiting room (pratice has a few drs) - who has been there before has cross stitch, books, computers, water, snacks etc because you always wait. Last time it was two hours for me.

imageimage

Our baby site: Baby Cragg

• It's only happened once. I didn't see him til 2.5 hours later. Luckily I was able to leave and go do some errands.
  • This happened to us twice!!

The first time we waited over an hour before they finally had someone else see us. The second time we waited a bit and then the doctor arrived.

• With two pregnancies, it's only happened once. She had to go do an emergency section. I had my sonogram and then just came back later in the day to see her for my visit.
  • that hasn't happened to me yet.  I'm surprised it hasn't happened actually.
  • I've had to wait over a hour and the doctor wasn't at a delivery. They were just running behind at the office. In fact the doctor mentioned she had to tell the patient before me she had lost the baby, there was no heart beat, make plans ect... Totally understandable that could throw a whole day off schedule. I was just glad that I was there for a regular check up, I wasn't given the same news as that poor woman before me and that the doctor took what ever time she needed to help her previous patient. What a horrible doctor she would be if she ran out on the patient at such a time just to maintain her schedule!
  • My appt was rushed because he had to go do a scheduled c/s.  At least I assumed it was.  He said he had a surgery to do, but it was 4:30 pm.
  • Welcome to my world...count yourself lucky for only waiting 30 minutes! It is rare that I wait less than 45 minutes...its pretty annoying. Now I just call before hand and ask how late they are running.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • It happened once, and we had to wait for an hour. He's since got a NP, so even if he has to rush off to deliver a baby, I can still be seen.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

I never held you, but I always loved you.
    Baby Squirt- September 2009
    Baby Turtle- May 2010
    Baby Surprise- August 2011
  • When I went to a group practice they had one doc in the office who did not see patients except to go for deliveries, plus there was at least one on call.  If you had an appointment, you had an appointment.

Now I'm at a single practice and he has a PA and midwives who can cover if he has to be gone for a delivery.  They can't do everything he can but pretty close to it.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I waited over an hour last appointment.  And I've had 2 appointments where I had to see her nurse practitioner.  It happens.  I figure its a good sign that she'll be there for my delivery! :D
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"