Baby Names
Options

does the nickname work?

Hi - I posted something last week about how I named my son Brayden (before the trend, or before I became aware of the trend).  Would it be weird now that he is two to nickname him "Brad"?  Does Brad even work as a nickname?  Our next door neighbor's dog is Brady...so I dont want to use Brady as a nickname.  His middle name is Edward, so I guess he could go by that....thoughts?

Re: does the nickname work?

• Options
    i wouldn't pick it but if you like it who has the right to say no?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    What have you called him up til now and why do you want to change it? I personally think a nickname either starts from day one like....we are naming him brayden but calling him brad. Or something that comes up over time. I think it would be odd to start calling someone something different for no reason. So, is there a reason that I am missing in your post?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie - (hfj2)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think Brad works pretty well!
    Married 5/31/08 * TTC#1 9/09 - 2/11
    after anovulatory diagnosis and TTC for 1 1/2yrs with several medicated cycles and one chemical pregnancy, we have our first bundle of joy!
    IT'S A GIRL!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    #2 EDD 2/5/13 dx with anti-BIG E antibody, seeing a MFM
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    VOTE on my Name List
    I don't take one single minute for granted.
  • Options

I would name him Brad instead of Brayden.  They don't fully go together and Brad is a great name (NOT a fan of Brayden at all).

Good luck deciding. 

• Options
    What have you called him up to now? I find this a weird question so late in the game..For instance my DS is Phillip, we call him Phil and I personally call him "bug", just kind of stuck. Kids at daycare call him Philphil..people make up their own nicknames as they go along.
  • Options
    I posted about this last week.  My husband named my son when he was born almost 2 years ago.  I had never heard the name before, researched it, and thought it was a traditional Irish name.  About two months after he was born the "ayden" craze exploded (or at least I became aware of it).  So it's making me regret his name.  Nothing I can do about it now, but thought I could start calling him by a nickname. 
  • Options
    imagemissstacylynn25:

I would name him Brad instead of Brayden.  They don't fully go together and Brad is a great name (NOT a fan of Brayden at all).

Good luck deciding. 

Thanks!

• Options
    I think it would be fine, and I would do it if it makes you happy. I like the name Brad (it's a little 70's, but I think that's what I like about it!) and I think if you integrate the nn slowly he'd catch on easily enough. Not all nn's start from day 1.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Not so into it, I don't like Brad and I don't like sort of renaming your child. But I understand you haven't been left with a lot of great options. Can you come up with a nickname for him that doesn't directly involve a version his given names? I call my son Kabbie, for his initials KAB. You've got a BE(something), any chance of it making a cute nickname? (Hoping for a BEN for your sake!)
  • Options
    I think it could work- try it out.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I like Brady and it wouldn't bother me that the next door neighbor's dog is named that.  Are you just worried it will confuse your son?  Since your son is two you should ask him if he would like the nn Brad. 

My family is not very original and we tend to call the kids by the first part of their name:  Charlie is ChaCha, Ryan is Ry, Taylor is T....I thought I would call my son JJ or Jay but so far we only call him James.  So with my family logic you can just call him B.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Options

Braden is an Irish name. It is actually a place name but also means broad or salmon. :)

So in terms of the name you are saying, it is definitely traditional Irish. It is the spelling that is different. I wouldn't call him something else, personally.  But, if it really bothers you, maybe spell it without the y?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie - (hfj2)
  • Options
    I think Brayden itself is nice, no need for a NN Smile To answer your question tho I don't really think Brad is a NN for Brayden anyways, and no I don't really like it, sorry
  • Options
    I don't think you should nickname your kid something completely different when they are two. You picked the name, just go with it. The craze will end eventually. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"