Military Families

High Risk Overseas?

I just lost my son at 22w3d. Wondering if anyone is high risk overseas and where they were at. I am in Italy and was wondering if you were sent to Germany or to a high risk off base? I do want to try again in the near future and will be high risk. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this.

Re: High Risk Overseas?

• I'm so sorry for your loss.
  • I don't have an answer for you, but I wanted to tell you how sorry I am for your loss. Please take advantage of the loss boards. They are an amazing support. I would also recommend looking up the National Share Office website. It is also a great place to find information and support.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm very sorry this is happening to you. We're in USAFE as well, and our hospital's policy is to have regular appointments in the base clinic, then if an emergency arises, offbase to the local hospital with a NICU. Once everyone's stabilised, they get sent to Germany. I know someone who stayed at Ramstein from 20 weeks on during her high-risk pregnancy.

We're in England though, so there aren't as many cultural barriers to worry about... I don't know if this would effect what would be done? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • First of all, I am so sorry for you loss.  We are stationed in Guam, where there is no emergency or neonatal healthcare.  I was considered high risk just because of my gestational diabetes, and even though it wasn't that bad, I decided to fly home to MS at 32 weeks.  Thank God I did, because I developed HELLP syndrome the next week and my LO came at 33 weeks.  She hadn't grown in utero for 3 weeks, and nobody in Guam ever caught it.

I guess I was the cautionary tale for our command.  Our XO's wife just developed a high risk pregnancy because she is diabetic and is having twins.  The command got her off island as quickly as possible.  They didn't want her here after her first trimester.  If something were to go wrong while in Guam, you would be Med-Evaced to Japan.

Our whole command is moving to Hawaii for a change of home port this year, so XO's wife just went early.  I already want another, but I know it will be a high risk pregnancy, so I am waiting until we are back stateside. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I am so sorry for your loss.  My T&Ps are with you.  I live in Sicily and here they send high risk women to Germany or out in town.  But Italian hospitals aren't as clean as what we're used to in the US, so if I were high risk I'd opt for Germany.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • i'm stationed in Germany but no where near the larger medical centers. they send all pregnancies at our base to a civilian doctor, high risk or not. So, if you were to get pregnant again, they would probably just refer you off base. they have plenty of connections to english speaking docs.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"