Pre-School and Daycare

Spa party for a 5 year old

My daughter is a very girly so for her birthday this year i was going to do a spa type party at my house.  I was going to have female family members help me.  I was going to set up different stations to have nails, toes and make up done.  I wanted to do a decorate your own flip flop station but i'm still undecided on this since I think they only way to actually decorate them is with a hot glue gun (unless anyone has any other suggestions).  I am also going to get a nail polish shaped pinata.  I am thinking of filling it with hair things, chapsticks, etc.

I am looking for other games and things to do with them.  Any suggestions would be a huge help! 

Re: Spa party for a 5 year old

• I would not be into make up on a 5 year old, tbh. They grow up too fast as it is! What about letting them play dress up? I like the flip flop idea - just use craft glue, hot glue is not necessary.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Yeah make up on my imaginary five year old girl, not cool with me!  Of course you know your friends and family best.  For the flip flops, totally doable.  You can get foam stickers and even "jewels", I've seen them used to decorate crowns and they looks great.  That was at a 4 year olds party and everyone was super happy with it so I would think it would still be cool for 5's.  Instead of make up maybe you could to hair instead?
  • Loading the player...
  • one of my DD's friends is planning something like this for a 6th b-day party. The mom is planning on having a "fashion show" too, but her daughter has LOTS of dress up clothes. I think the make up is ok if its light, like lip gloss and a little blush. Just make sure to ask the other kids moms first. My DD went to the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique at Disney and they put make up on her at age 3. It's not like she wears it every day. The flip flops sound like a really cute idea. Hair would be a good idea too, with ribbons and stuff. I'd stay away from hot styling products, because I'd be upset if my DD got burned by a curling iron or flat iron at a party

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • https://www.tinytotstearoom.com/birthdayparties/oohlaladayspa.html

This place by me does spa stuff (maybe you can use ideas). 

It's cute, but I would be sensitive to if other parents might not want their kids "done up".  My DD worn nail polish and I don't want to encourage it, I wouldn't be mad or anything but I also wouldn't want DD coming home begging me to put nail polish/makeup on her. I don't know that I'm against it, especially since I don't have a 5 year old, but it's just a thought.

Maybe you can do more like a "princess pampering" or something, a theme that you could add more ideas into.  

• Just a suggestion, but what about a tea party instead of a spa party?  All the girls can play dress up in fancy clothes, and have a fancy party, but not be too grown up?

Kind of like Fancy Nancy? 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Just lurking, but I have to second the idea that I would not be happy if my daughter had come from a bday party with makeup on.  If I had a heads-up, I'd probably roll with it, but I'd appreciate knowing in advance.

Dress-up -- fine.  Nail polish and chapstick favors -- fine.   

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • The invitations will make it well aware that they will be getting makeup and by make up I mean some lip gloss and a little eye shadow - nothing too crazy.  My daughter has tons of kiddie make up and i'm fine with her playing with it.  She's a girly girl and likes to put on a little makeup when she plays dress up.
  • Skip the make-up - do fun nails (check with the parents 1st, my kids suck their thumbs and I don't allow polish on their thumb due to this) both toes and fingers.  I would think you could find paint that would work on the flip flops - check with a crafts store.

Just to be honest, some parents may not be into this type of thing at all at age 5. 

Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • imageHmp123:
    The invitations will make it well aware that they will be getting makeup and by make up I mean some lip gloss and a little eye shadow - nothing too crazy.  My daughter has tons of kiddie make up and i'm fine with her playing with it.  She's a girly girl and likes to put on a little makeup when she plays dress up.

Is the Kiddie Make-Up stuff that is US made or at least not from China?  I get really nervous about the "kid" sold stuff and what is actually in it.  I'm not a crazy, you have to use organics type of girl but I am very cautious on what stuff I let my kids play with.  I tend to stick to brands I know (Origins for me and OPI nail polish for example).  My kids got a bunch of Hello Kiddie Nail Polish for Hanukkah and it is all made in China and I honestly will not them use it.  Just something to keep in mind.  I like the idea that PP made about doing more of a Princess Dress -up or tea party type of thing where the kids that are not able to get made up will still feel part of it.  Granted, the parents of your DD's friends might be totally fine with all of this - I just know some of my kids parents and this would not go over well.

Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • my dd has some really light colored adult makeup, just for the reason that the kid's stuff is usually all Chinese.  I got her some nearly invisible iridescent eye shadow and blush from clinique just so I could be sure where/how it was made.  Also, for nail polish we avoid major chemicals on her...I bought her piggy paints since they are all non toxic and kiddie colors, too.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I think kiddie make up is OK. I don't see the difference between that and face paint, but maybe people have the same objections over face paint.  It's everywhere here, you can't get away from it.  Maybe facepainting instead of make up?  A flower on the cheek or something simple?  Although, like I said, I think kiddie make up is ok.  Just make sure moms know that's a part of it and give them the option to say "none for my little one," if they want.  FYI, my friend had a party like this at a place that does exactly this.  When I saw the pics I said I wish I could have been a guest at that party myself.  It was awesome!  Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"