High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Please help! Need some positive IC/shortened cervix stories.

Hi Ladies-

I was having constant cramping and some minor contrax last week. I had a routine OB appt. last Wednesday. They checked my cervix and it was at 2.9 without pressure and 2.7 with pressure.

I tried to take it easy this weekend, but was not put on bedrest, so I did probably more than I should have and went to work today.

I went back to the OB today because I was worried and still feeling "off."

I just got back and my cervix has now shortened to 1.9 :(:( I am FREAKING out. I am not even 18 weeks and I realize that I am still ways away from viability. This is my worst nightmare.

I have to try and get into a high-risk doctor tomorrow, but my OB said they most likely won't do a cerclage since I am already cramping and feeling pressure. So, strict bedrest and prayers it is. He said they will probably do progesterone shots, but at this point, my anxiety is so high that I am not confident about anything.

If anyone has any positive stories I would really, really appreciate hearing them.

TIA!

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Please help! Need some positive IC/shortened cervix stories.

• Options

I'm not on this board anymore, but I still lurk to help with IC/cerclage questions.  I know you're scared, but just take a deep breath, and do everything your doctors tell you to do.

At my 20w u/s my cervix was only .04cm.  I was put on bedrest immediately.  Made it 3 weeks and started to dilate, so they did an emergency cerclage.  I only ever got as high as 1.9 with the cerclage in.  I stayed on bedrest until 32 weeks and then got to do more activity.  It was a tough road, but I delivered a very healthy baby at 38w4d. 

When I was on this board there were alot of IC mamas with VERY short and puny cervix lengths.  Some with cerclages and some without.  You can do it.  Keep cooking that baby.  GL, mama.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker TickerImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I was put on moderate bed rest at 25 weeks when my cervix went from 3.5cm to 2.5cm in two weeks.  One week later, it was back to 3cm and there it stayed until it has slowly started to shorten (at 36 weeks).  I think you will be amazed at how it can "bounce back" once pressure is taken off it.  I haven't had a cerclage or progesterone and at 34 weeks with fewer contractions and a static cervix, my peri also decided I was doing so well that I didn't need the steroid shot either.  So, you can definitely make it.  Good luck and keep us posted!

Golly Gee! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Lots of women have gone on to deliver full term babies, despite a short cervix, either with or without a cerclage.  Try not to worry too much (easier said than done) and stay off your feet as much as possible.

I was put on bedrest at 20 weeks when my cervix dropped from 3.6 to 2.5 cm (no cerclage b/c I was too far along making the risks too great with twins).  I was terrified, as we weren't even at viability yet.  But it held steady for a while.  Then, at 27 weeks it dropped again to 1.5, and has stayed somewhere between the two since then.  Last week was my final cervical ultrasound - at this point they say there's more harm in continuing to disturb the area and there's nothing else they can do if it were to shorten more since I've had steroid shots for lung development.

I'll be 32 weeks tomorrow, which was our big milestone back when all this started!!  I feel hopeful that I'll get at least another 2-3 weeks before I deliver (twins tend to come early).  If I make it to 36 weeks, my doctors will lift the bedrest restrictions.  I really believe in my case that bedrest is making a big difference.  I also take progesterone suppositories, which have been shown to have good results delaying or preventing preterm delivery with a short cervix. 

Good luck!  Try to relax and take it easy.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I DO have a positive story for you :)  With #2, I was getting CL checks every 2 weeks.  At 24 weeks I was down to a 1.9 with extreme funneling.  I was put on bedrest at that time- no cerclage, no Pshots, just bedrest.  At 35 weeks I still had not delivered.  She had me increase my activity at that time, and I went into labor 4 days later.  If I had stayed on bedrest until full-term I believe I would have made it that long.  Take it easy and follow your OB's instructions.  Hang in there!  I know how scary it is.  I have a cerclage this time around, but based on last weeks measurements I have a strong feeling I will be joining you on bedrest next week.  Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

there are lots of great "success" stories out there.

though, we had a late loss last pregnancy (they then diagnosed me with IC).

this time around i had a preventative cerclage put in at 13 weeks.  my cervix has measured a 3 at my biweekly checks up until 22 weeks when it dropped to a 1.8.  my doc immediatly put me on strict bedrest at home along with p17 shots and progesterone suppositories.  since then each week we have seen my cervix INCREASE from a 1.8 to a 2.5 to a 3!!!

its not too late for a cerclage for you.  i know many that have had them later than 18 weeks.  but that will be up to your doc.  the most important thing is that you will be seeing a highrisk doc who specializes in this.

hang in there.  try not to stress.  and take your dr's orders VERY seriously!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Are you by any chance a patient of Women's Health and Menopause Center?  I am and I think I've seen your name on the Detroit Board.  Which MFM are you going to see (HFWB or Huron Valley Sinai)?  I've seen the high risk docs at both places and some I liked better than others.

My cervix shortened to 18mm at 22 weeks.  I decided against a cerclage, but I ended up being hospitalized at Henry Ford Detroit for a couple weeks, and on bed rest ever since.  I'm still hanging in there and have now reached 31 weeks.  Don't despair.   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I was where you are, 20 weeks and 1.8. The best thing you can do is try and relax as much as you can. Although I did not make it as long as some of the other women who replied I did manage to make it 7 weeks from where bed rest started. I gave birth at 27 weeks 3 days and although my boys are in the nicu they will be home with us before we know it. It may help to research neonatologists and nicus in your area, just to put your mind at rest if you do deliver early. I'm a big worrier and that helped me so much because i had a plan. Good luck and God bless, t&ps are with you and your family.
  • Options

Hi!

I'm new here and am pregnant with my 2nd after a high-risk first pregnancy (my daughter is 18 mos). I am being monitored already for funneling and shortening. I started funneling at 16 weeks and at 25 weeks dilated to 2cm overnight (due to a huge fibroid). I just wanted to say hang in there, and to take it easy. I was on strict hospital and home bed rest for 11 weeks, and on progesterone and procardia, after being on magnesium sulfate. I dilated to 6cm but didn't deliver until 36 weeks! Please lay down and relax and much as you can. Do not do anything unless it is necessary. House work can wait. Hang in there!!!!

• Options

I'm a success story...Tigerlilles (top post) and I were on this board together while on BR! I had an emergency cerclage at 18w5d they WILL do them this late you may have to push for it though! They didn't want to put one in but I pushed for it and its a good thing, after surgery my OB said he had just enough tissue to get the stitches in! My CL was 15mm (1.5cm) when I had the ultrasound.

I had no symptoms just went in for the routine big ultrasound and the tech found it. I had the surgery that evening and was sent home on strict bedrest. At 29 weeks I had an uneasy feeling and cramps so they did a fFn and it came back +...so we prepared for the worst despite the obs saying its a false positive...blahh. At 31weeks I went into PTL and spent time in L&D on mag sulfate getting it stopped. My CL had dropped to 10mm (0.1cm). The stitches are what held my cervix closed, between meds to stop my contrax and the cerclage..we avoided a preemie! I started to dialate at 36w1d so they clipped it and my little man arrived on 37w1d!!

Stay flat..gravity sucks! Take this as your job until your LO is here healthy!

best wishes!!!

• Options

I've never heard of 1.9 with contrax being too much to do a cerclage. I don't see why they wouldn't do it, and if they won't, I would push until I found a doctor that would. Also, did they give you any meds for the contractions? My high-risk OB gives me meds at home and strict bed rest. I would lay on your left side as much as possible and drink plenty of water until you are able to get more help from a high risk doctor. 

I do still think you have a good chance though with the proper care. I've heard worse stories that had happy endings. 

IVF #1 BFN... IVF #2 BFP! TWINS!
    Twins born too early at 23 weeks due to incompetent cervix
    FET #1, IUI #1, 2, 3, 4 - all BFN
    IVF #3 BFP!!! IT'S A BOY! Born July 16th, 2011
    FET #2 BFP! Due February 15, 2013
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

I'm so sorry you're going through this. 

I lost my first pregnancy at 18 weeks due to an incompetent cervix.  At my big u/s at 18 weeks it was found that I was effaced and dilated 3cm.  I was so far effaced that a cerclage wasn't an option for me.  The high risk dr prescribed progesterone for me and said bedrest was up to me, but there are mixed studies about whether or not it really works.  I never had a chance to start the shots, my water broke that night.  I then had a D&E the next day. 

With this current pregnancy I had a transabdominal cerclage put in at 11 weeks.  I was determined to do everyything I could to avoid losing another pregnancy because of an incompetent cervix.  I also had bi-weekly ultrasounds from 16-24 weeks and weekly p17 shots from 16-36 weeks.  I'm now 26 weeks and everything looks great.  My cervix has been long and closed at every high risk appt. 

My thoughts and prayers are with you.  Best of luck to you and your LO.

• Options

25 weeks I went down to 2.5 and was put on bedrest. My numbers went from 1.1 up to 3ish (I really cant remember how high but it varied)

No cerclage, no meds but I did have more than 4 braxton hicks per hour several times throughout...but the contractions weren't dilating me further, no progesterone shots. 1 cm dilated somewhere btwn 30 and 34 weeks.

Strict bedrest from 25 weeks and modified bedrest at 36 weeks and my baby arrived at 39w2d!

Good luck!

• Options
    I was on bedrest the same time as asnowracer was.  I was put on bedrest on new years eve 2 yrs ago at 27 5/7 weeks.  My cervix was about 1.6 at the time.  two weeks later i was under 1cm.  I stayed on bedrest at home and made it to 37 1/2 weeks.  I was able to get off bedrest at 36...relaxed for a week, went to work one day and two days later didn't know I was in labor and delivered DD that night.  no complications and a pretty quick labor for a first baby.  So there are successes.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"