Nurseries and Baby Gear

Uppababy Vista vs. Baby Jogger City Select

So I had pretty much decided on the Uppababy Vista from doing online research, reading reviews, watching videos etc.

We went to BBB to check it out and really liked it in person...but then the saleperson came up and said that if we're considering the Uppababy Vista, that we should also look at the Baby Jogger City Select, since they're similar.

The salesperson said that if we're planning on have a 2nd child close in age (we hope to!), then the City Select is better as a double stroller than the Vista. 

I was really tired at that point and was ready to leave...plus the store was super crowded, so we decided to leave and go back to check it out more closely next time.

Has anyone checked out both strollers that can compare/contrast for me?

TIA

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Uppababy Vista vs. Baby Jogger City Select

• These were the two stollers I was deciding between.  I had my heart set on the Uppababy Vista but then discovered the city select and after doing some research I was converted.  The reason I went with the city select was because I did not like the rumble seat on the Vista at all.  I didn't like the idea of it sitting so low to the ground.  Plus, when you use it, the seats can only face back to the parent.  I've heard from lots of parents whose kids much prefer to look out at the world.

With the city select there are so many configurations for turning it into a double stroller that seemed so much more comfortable for your LOs.  Plus, you can go between it being a single or a double just by removing a seat.  This flexibility is what sold me on this stroller.  Otherwise they seem to be pretty similar.  They both manoever easily, have big tires, fold easily, big baskets etc...

Good luck with your choice!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • I chose the city select b/c I like the many conversions you could do with it specifically when turning it to a 2 person.  Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • imagejanecanadian:

These were the two stollers I was deciding between.  I had my heart set on the Uppababy Vista but then discovered the city select and after doing some research I was converted.  The reason I went with the city select was because I did not like the rumble seat on the Vista at all.  I didn't like the idea of it sitting so low to the ground.  Plus, when you use it, the seats can only face back to the parent.  I've heard from lots of parents whose kids much prefer to look out at the world.

With the city select there are so many configurations for turning it into a double stroller that seemed so much more comfortable for your LOs.  Plus, you can go between it being a single or a double just by removing a seat.  This flexibility is what sold me on this stroller.  Otherwise they seem to be pretty similar.  They both manoever easily, have big tires, fold easily, big baskets etc...

This almost exactly (I was looking at the City Select & the sales guy showed us the Vista). We got the CS & I can't wait til LO gets here to use it. We've ordered the car seat adapter & second seat option from Amazon (alot cheaper then BRU). Check out this review and watch this youtube demo video. It is even easier than it looks.

• I really think the BBB people get commission or extra sales prices for pushing the City Select! They always steer people away from the Vista to the CS!

I really think it's a personal preference. I went with the Vista because I absolutely refuse to pay that much for a stroller which does not have a locking mechanism to lock the carseat onto the attachment bar. The CS just has the carseat sit on top of the bar then uses the strap as its main stabilization. I'm sure it's safe, but that was a non-negotiable for us! Someone on here said hers locked but they actually do not...if they did lock, there would be an unlock mechanism, and there isn't one. 

I also just prefer the Vista's appearnace over the CS, but that's def a personal preference.

• imagepook:

I really think the BBB people get commission or extra sales prices for pushing the City Select! They always steer people away from the Vista to the CS!

I really think it's a personal preference. I went with the Vista because I absolutely refuse to pay that much for a stroller which does not have a locking mechanism to lock the carseat onto the attachment bar. The CS just has the carseat sit on top of the bar then uses the strap as its main stabilization. I'm sure it's safe, but that was a non-negotiable for us! Someone on here said hers locked but they actually do not...if they did lock, there would be an unlock mechanism, and there isn't one. 

I also just prefer the Vista's appearnace over the CS, but that's def a personal preference.

Thanks for pointing out about the locking mechanism. I will definitely check this out since I definitely plan to use the carseat with the stroller.

I totally agree with you about the appearance - I like the look and colors of the Vista better.

I do really like the different combination of the CS when using as a double stroller...but who knows if we'll even need a double!?

BabyFruit Ticker

• imagejanecanadian:

These were the two stollers I was deciding between.  I had my heart set on the Uppababy Vista but then discovered the city select and after doing some research I was converted.  The reason I went with the city select was because I did not like the rumble seat on the Vista at all.  I didn't like the idea of it sitting so low to the ground.  Plus, when you use it, the seats can only face back to the parent.  I've heard from lots of parents whose kids much prefer to look out at the world.

All of this.  I was set on the UBV and still think it is a great stroller but opted for the City Select instead in hopes that it can be used if we have number 2.  I got the City Select in a few weeks ago and LOVE it.  I can't wait to start using it.

Dx with PCOS and IR June 2009
    After two losses, third time was a charm.
    pm me for blog link
  • imagepook:
    I went with the Vista because I absolutely refuse to pay that much for a stroller which does not have a locking mechanism to lock the carseat onto the attachment bar. The CS just has the carseat sit on top of the bar then uses the strap as its main stabilization. I'm sure it's safe, but that was a non-negotiable for us!

This is my only issue with the City Select.  I didn't like the strap and liked the lock function of UBV better.  So we opted for a snap and go to use for the first few months until baby is big enough for the stroller.  

Dx with PCOS and IR June 2009
    After two losses, third time was a charm.
    pm me for blog link
  • BTW, up to what age do kids still go in the stroller?

BabyFruit Ticker

• Uppababy, we LOVE it!  The huge basket was one of the biggest reasons, smoother ride and the bassinet (which has been a lifesaver at the mall) is included.  We're one and done, so I never even looked at the rumble seat options. I think they're both great strollers though, we have the City Mini also and it works great for an umbrella/travel stroller.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagepook:

I really think the BBB people get commission or extra sales prices for pushing the City Select! They always steer people away from the Vista to the CS!

My Graco safe seat locks in.  Once it's on the carseat adapter I have to pull the release mechanism on the back to get it out.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • imagejanecanadian:
    imagepook:

My Graco safe seat locks in.  Once it's on the carseat adapter I have to pull the release mechanism on the back to get it out.

So if the seat locks in, does that mean you don't use the strap at all?

Also, do you know if the Chicco seats locks in?

BabyFruit Ticker

• imagejanecanadian:
    imagepook:

The snugride does not.
  • I was almost persuaded away from the Vista to the CS by the BBB people except for a few things that I learned from other people:

1.  When you attach the 2nd seat to the front of the stroller, the stroller becomes very difficult to manuever due to all that weight being on the tiny front wheels.

2.  It seemed like there was a decent chance that the kid riding in the front seat with the seat facing out could get his/her legs caught under the front of the stroller.  I realize you can make the front seat face inward but it seemed like the kids would really be on top of eachother if you did that. 

3.  I didn't like that the CS would not stand upright on its own when folded.

4.  I didn't like that the toddler seat did not have a 0 degree position.  A lot of parents I have spoken with have all said their kids prefer sitting upright once older so they can see better and have complained that their kids constantly pull themselves forward in strollers w/o an upright position.

5.  While the UBV isn't exactly light, it is lighter than the CS which weighs in at 28 lbs whereas the UBV is 24 lbs.

If you like the CS b/c of the configurations maybe take a look at the Britax B-ready?  There's a great review on amazon.com where someone compared the B-ready to the UBV.  It's a close call between the two. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageromil:

BTW, up to what age do kids still go in the stroller?

Until they want to walk all the time by themselves.  My DS will be 3 in June and we still use the stroller quite a bit for longer outings.  

The Chicco Keyfit absolutely does lock into it's specific adapter bar, without a strap.  You CAN use a strap for double safety, but it's not necessary.   

I think the UBV and the CS are both really great strollers, but I agree with PPs that I like the 398493847534875 different ways you can configure the seats, which will be really important if you have fussy kids down the road ... you never know what they're going to like/not like ... and that alone would be worth it to me.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    The Mouse ~ 06.12.08 | The Froggy ~ 02.23.11

• imagemarybeth1699:

If you like the CS b/c of the configurations maybe take a look at the Britax B-ready?  There's a great review on amazon.com where someone compared the B-ready to the UBV.  It's a close call between the two. 

I just played with the B Ready last weekend.  There is absolutely NO comparison between the CS and the Britax (or the UBV for that matter).  The Britax is GINORMOUS and bulky, the rear wheels are HUGE ... I can't even imagine trying to steer that thing through a doorway or something.   

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    The Mouse ~ 06.12.08 | The Froggy ~ 02.23.11

• imagemarybeth1699:

I agree w/ this. I drove all 3 around BBB and I'm getting the B-Ready. I really did like the CS for the most part, but I read several Amazon reviews that said it can tip really easily, the seat bottom lacks support, and it's almost impossible to steer once 2 kids are in it. I didn't find the B-Ready to be any bulkier than the others and they all steered just about the same w/ 1 seat. The B-Ready felt more solid in the handle department, I like the seating configs and apparently it's really hard to tip over. And it has the highest weight limit for the main seat (55lbs).

Here is a handy comparison chart!

p
  • imagepook:

You maybe thinking of me. I have chosen to go with the Maxi Cosi car seat with BJCS. When you use a Maxi Cosi seat, it DOES lock into the car seat adapter. You have to physically unlock it from the adapter on the stroller to get it off and you do not use any straps or bars.

Though I can't speak for the other brands of car seats... 

Photobucket
    aCg 3.1.07 | hCr 5.5.11
  • imageMaybeBaby#2:
    imagepook:

You maybe thinking of me. I have chosen to go with the Maxi Cosi car seat with BJCS. When you use a Maxi Cosi seat, it DOES lock into the car seat adapter. You have to physically unlock it from the adapter on the stroller to get it off and you do not use any straps or bars.

Though I can't speak for the other brands of car seats... 

so are you happy with your selection? i cannot make a decision! and while i know i have some time, i wanted to sell our old stroller now, while it's still in great condition and just use the new stroller as a single until #2 arrives. we already have the maxi cosi infant seat, so i'm thinking it would work well with the city select. but i cannot decide..i'm worried about the "steering" issue many people have said it has if you have two in it, and then i go back to the uppababy. ahhhh, i'm driving myself nuts!

• imagemooninlv:

so are you happy with your selection? i cannot make a decision! and while i know i have some time, i wanted to sell our old stroller now, while it's still in great condition and just use the new stroller as a single until #2 arrives. we already have the maxi cosi infant seat, so i'm thinking it would work well with the city select. but i cannot decide..i'm worried about the "steering" issue many people have said it has if you have two in it, and then i go back to the uppababy. ahhhh, i'm driving myself nuts!

I would go and test it out! I haven't used the BJCS as a double as my DD more than likely won't ever ride in the stroller. Though I do plan to buy a glider board for her at some point. She's almost 4YO and hasn't been in a stroller since she turned 3YO.

Photobucket
    aCg 3.1.07 | hCr 5.5.11
  • imagepook:
    imagejanecanadian:
    imagepook:

The snugride does not.

I went to BBB last night and tested the BJCS with the Chicco adapter and the Chicco Keyfit 30 car seat. The salesperson there confirmed that the Chicco seat does not snap in, you need to use the straps to secure it.

BabyFruit Ticker

• That is a great comparison chart!  Thanks for sharing.  I have researched all three and although I haven't seen any of the three in person, I am still leaning towards the UPV.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"