Working Moms

Job hunting while pregnant?

Hi Ladies,

So, I have been job hunting for years it seems. I currently work in a niche market and finished my MBA a year ago. I thought I had a new job but found out today that they went with the other guy...again and despite glowing praise for me.

I really need to put my MBA to work and I need the pay bump even more--that isn't possible in my current job. I am 7-8 wks along now. When would you stop the search, if at all? How would you handle the pregnancy situation? This is my second so I'll probably be showing before too much longer.

Re: Job hunting while pregnant?

• I wouldn't stop the search.  I was 4 weeks from delivering my second when I had a job interview.  Not one of the five people who interviewed me noticed I was pregnant.  I didn't try to hide it, but didn't mention it either and left the interview thinking that no one had noticed.  I was offered and accepted the job.  It was fun to accept the job and mention as part of my acceptance "I'll need to have some time off at the end of the month after I have my baby" and listen to them freak out.  :) 
  • Absolutely look. The last thing you want is to be unhappy at work if you have to leave two LOs. There has to be something out there for you. Keep at it and know the ecomomy will get better.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    met DH 1995 ~ married DH 2006 ~ completed our family 2008
    Life is good!
  • Loading the player...
  • I was in this same situation before I had my LO. I had my first interview the day after I found out I was pregnant - I had my second interview around 6-7 weeks - and I started the job when I was 16-17 weeks. I worked for one week before telling them I was expecting (it was getting hard to hide). I'm lucky in that I work for a team of amazing women who are also mothers so it went over pretty well (at least they acted like it!). I'm sure they weren't thrilled but it's not worth unfairly losing out on a job opportunity because I chose to have a family AND a career. It really isn't anyone's business but yours so don't feel like you need to tell them during the interview process. And keep interviewing!! Be proud of your bump AND your education. If you're the right fit for the company, they will want you regardless. GOOD LUCK!

Proud Mama to cleft cutie <3
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"