High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Anxiety from to much information.....

Hi Ladies,

DH and I are seriously TTC Baby #2 after a traumatic experience with Pre/Hellp. We feel that we are ready to do this and got the clearance from doctors. We have researched and researched this condition for hours and days on end. So hear we are ready and then I come across these articles or notifications from pre-eclampsia.org that stop me dead in my tracks and make me question am I doing the right thing.

Did any of you that went on to TTC after pre-e feel this way when you saw information like this. It scares me!!!

https://www.knoxnews.com/news/2011/jan/29/raising-ruby-up/

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Anxiety from to much information.....

• Options

After reading the article, I found myself in the category where it states, "it's possible that a patient could have an entirely uncomplicated pregnancy up until term, and then have a rise in blood pressure."

That was me with my first. I went in for a checkup the day before my due date, after repeated checks the nurses found my blood pressure abnormally high and my urine dipstick showing protein (although I never had a headache). I was sent right over the hospital where they had me gown up, monitored and IVed. Would'nt you know I had pre-e surfacing so I had the mag. sulfate and was prepared for induction. Two hungry days later, my daughter was born and I got to eat Stick out tongue. Fast forward to today where we're expecting our fourth; although we lost our second at at only 5 months BUT for a different high-risk issue.

I say this to illustrate that you just have to live. You don't know what to expect in life but you still try. Yes, stories like that shake me up so, but I try not to let it bring my life to a halt. Amidst all the worry (and boy, am I a worrier and try hard not to be), you just have to be just a little positive than not and reserve somewhere in the corner of your mind for hope; otherwise you will be consumed by fear and that by itself can do some damage.

Turn your anxiety into ammunition! Use that story and any other tidbits you get about pre-e or whatever else to maximize a positive outcome. You know from that article that the mom had headaches post-partum, so if you feel kinda off after delivery for example- go get checked out instead of brushing it off. It's human to worry and be concerned but let the information work for you and not against you.

Yes... I'm fighting for you and for me.
    Nutmeg, cilantro, sage, mint, thyme... these are a few of my favorite things! Visit The Nest!Visit The Nest! We have four children; one left us too soon.
  • Options

I am an example of what you're describing!  I delivered my son at 31 weeks because of severe pre-e.  Found out on a Thursday I had it and delivered him on Sunday. Followed by a 6 week NICU stay. It was the most traumatic experience of my life hands down.  DH and I have always wanted two kids.  Before TTC #2, I consulted a high risk doc and got all the info. I needed to make an informed decision.  I knew that I had a 33% chance of getting pre-e again.  

Well, here I am at 29 weeks and in the hospital on bed rest.  I have mild pre-e and will be here until I deliver.  Whether that's in 3 weeks or 2 months, I don't know.  I feel like lots of info. can be good and bad.  I was so hyper vigilant about symptoms and that's why they caught it super early this time.  I had anxiety crop up at different times throughout this pregnancy because of what happened and other complications that happened.  Sounds like you've thought about it a lot and are prepared - if you feel like you are ready and want to have another child, then it can be done.  It'll take a lot of strength mentally, but use your knowledge and anxiety to benefit you if at all possible.  I wish you luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    As I have learned from this pregnancy, stay away from google. Yes, there is a risk with your 2nd pregnancy but the reality is, every woman who gets pregnant has a risk for complications during pregnancy...you need to do what you feel is right. If TTC #2 is in your heart and it feels right, then do it.
    -Donna Married 11/19/09 Pregnancy #1: Son born March 22, 2011 after 3+ long months on bed rest due to PIH Pregnancy #2: Early miscarriage Pregnancy #3: Are we crazy for 2 under 2? Due 11/9/2012, diagnosed as Chronic HBP for this pregnancy along with gestational diabetes BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I had severe pre-e with DD and was delivered at exactly 27 weeks; this pregnancy I'm 32 wks tomorrow with no complications so far (*knock on wood*). I spent a year researching and consulting with Drs and despite 50/50 odds of repeat pre-e, we decided to go ahead with a second pregnancy but made some adjustments to accommodate possible problems (like me moving home so I'd have a built-in security net for DD in the event of hospitalization/long NICU stay, I'm doing daily baby aspirin regardless of neutral findings on its effectiveness, more exercise, etc).

A few comments... one, that article exemplifies what I feel is a trend based on my research/reading - that more often than not, the stories of deaths involve either a very uninformed Dr (usually in a rural area where they see fewer patients) or someone who develops pre-e postpartum (and this makes sense... if I had come home from delivery and felt the initial minor pre-e symptoms I had with DD, I would have chalked it up to just having a baby and let it slide a lot longer than I did at 25 wks when I was solely focused on me). Two, once you've had pre-e, you will be much more closely monitored during pregnancy, and you yourself are going to be much more alert to symptoms, so the odds of catching pre-e early are greater. Three, no matter what, after you've been through a traumatic pregnancy, you're going to be anxious and scared, so yes, totally normal how you're feeling and lots of us can relate. This time I was really really anxious for my entire 2nd tri, but once I hit 27 wks when I delivered before, it was like a huge weight lifted because I felt "whatever happens from here on out, it'll be familiar ground and I know I can get through it."

Good luck TTC! If you've been researching, then you have lots of info and you don't need to scare yourself further : ) 

• Options

I've told you this before, but you're ready.  Wink

Quit researching!  You know all you need to know!  Go have some fun making a baby.  You've got this!

Samuel Gregory-born 2/28/08 at 35w,5d due to severe pre-e and HELLP. 6lbs, 12 oz, 19 inches. Elijah Robert-born 11/23/09 at 38w,5d. 11 pounds, 10 ounces, 21.5 inches. Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers <a href="http://s740.photobucket.com/albums/xx46/carlyn_mcclelland/Facebook/Cover Photos/?action=view
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"