3rd Trimester
Options

Would you be induced ?

I am 40 weeks, and my Dr said they would schedule my induction for sometime during the 41st week.  I have read conflicting things about full term, in some countries 38 weeks is standard, in others it is 40.  Lots of people here seem to go until 42 weeks... I am confused about the reasoning behind it all. I oppose an induction in general because the risk of additional interventions increases and I REALLY don't want to have a C-section unless it is medically necessary.  I also acknowledge the fact that this baby may not come on it's own before 42 weeks( my mother went 2 wks late on more than one child) which seems to be the limit.  If I have to induce, will it make a difference how it goes at 41 vs 42 wks ?  Educate me please.

Re: Would you be induced ?

• Options
    I can't educate you regarding the benefits or risks, but I will tell you that my Dr will allow an induction at 41 weeks, but will let you go to 42 weeks unless there is a medical reason not to. So basically, she leaves the choice up to the mother and will not force you to be induced before 42 weeks.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

In what countries is 38 weeks standard for delivery?

I would not be induced until 42 weeks, as long as they have made sure the baby is okay. I went 15 days past my due date and had a NST during my 41st week to make sure everything was okay.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would have them do a biophysical survey where they look at your placenta and the baby to see how they are doing. If it was me, if everything looked good I would hold on for a bit longer. IMO I think nature knows best and if everything with me and the baby are looking fine I"m ok in waiting until everything happens on its own. I know that with my midwife that I will be switched over to an OB at 42 weeks and will most likely be scheduled for an induction.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

My practice won't normally let you go past 41 weeks b/c they find more complications from having big babies than from failed inductions - basically they are taking the position that the best chance for a safe and smooth delivery is to do it by 41 weeks. They also won't induce a first time mom before her due date. 2+ moms can be induced after 39 weeks.

Personally, I would want to be induced after I hit the EDD, but that's just me. Good luck!!

• Options
    I'm so anxious, I would do it!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    since you refernce other countries, what country do you live in? if its the US then why does it matter what other countries do? you live here. when a child stays inside the mother for longer then 42wks then it can cause harm to the child since they are not meant to stay in there for that long a period. If you haven;t gone into labor by 41wks then they will schedule the induction.
  • Options

imageperplexed59:
    I would have them do a biophysical survey where they look at your placenta and the baby to see how they are doing. If it was me, if everything looked good I would hold on for a bit longer. IMO I think nature knows best and if everything with me and the baby are looking fine I"m ok in waiting until everything happens on its own. I know that with my midwife that I will be switched over to an OB at 42 weeks and will most likely be scheduled for an induction.

yeah, I agree with this

• Options
    Technically you aren't pregnant the first two weeks of your pregnancy so you are really only pregnant 38 weeks, maybe that's where that number is coming from.  After 40 weeks, Doctors like to induce because the placenta starts to deteriorate and that can definitely be more harmful to your baby if they can't get the oxygen and nutrients they need to survive in utereo.  The dr. only wants what is best for you and the baby and if you still have concerns, talk to him/her about it.  They may be able to set your mind at ease a bit.  Hope this helps and happy birthing!
    Have a happy day :)Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

On average (according to one source), women go 41.5 weeks until natural labor sets in.

On the other hand, letting the pregnancy go too long (past 42 weeks) is dangerous because the placenta will start to deteriorate.

This is all just what I have heard.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    There is risk of the placenta desentigrating (sp?) after 42 weeks. This is something they can detect though. I would say if you aren't showing any since of distress and your placenta looks healthy, let it go as long as they will let you.
  • Options

Yes, but before 41 weeks. With #1 I was induced at 41w3d. It was a very difficult labor which led me to push four hours. LO had ingested meconium into his lungs prior to delivery, which occurs most often in postdate births (and probably from fetal stress). It was a long time after delivery before he could breath. I didn't mind the induction, but I think it should have been done earlier rather than bothering with two weeks of NSTs leading to a difficult delivery. Baby was big (for my size), it took a full episiotomy, and vacuum suction. Recovery was awful. I had a shot of pain every time I sat for 6 months post delivery. With my #2 I was induced at 40w5d. Aside from subsequent deliveries being easier in general, LO weighed 1.5 lbs. less than #1, delivery was 1/3 the time. With #3 my late induction plan is for 40w6d. My current OB is willing to induce starting at 39w, but won't go past 41w due to the complications that arise. He currently averages 28 deliveries per month so I trust him. Best wishes to you!

• Options
    your placenta can start to calcify and stop providing nutrients to the baby at a certain point. Also just because your dr mentions it doesn't mean that your body all of a sudden because his/hers you ultimately make the final decision.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • Options
    I had a really good induction experience with my first, and so I would be fine with an induction again this time around.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"