Preemies

question(s) for you- twins early

I'm almost 28w pg with twin boys. Today I had the FFn test and it was +

I was told I'm likely to go into labor within 2w.

Does anyone have exp. with this test? what happened?

thanks so much. I'm upset but also thankful because all of my problems--short cervix -today 1.8, Gest diabetes and anemia started at 25w2days.

Also, if you delivered between 28 and 30w what was your exp?

Re: question(s) for you- twins early

• First off, congratulations for nearly making it to 28 weeks! The FFN test is less accurate if it is positive. If it's negative then it's somewhere around 95% chance of not delivering. However, if it is positive it doesn't necessarily  mean you will deliver so there is still some hope you will last longer.

I just delivered my twins on Jan 10 which marked 28 weeks. My twins are doing well. I won't lie having them in the NICU is so hard and every day is a roller coaster but because of the steroid shots I received and the mag, they came out fighting. They did not need any ventilators and were off CPAP within a day or so. They are progressing nicely with only minor tweaks along the way. So, while I know its scary to delivery so early and you want to hold them in as long as possible...it doesn't always have to be bad news. 

• I don't have experience with the test, but my LO came at 29w, 6d. We were very lucky because she came out huge for an almost 30 weeker (3lbs even). Her breathing wasn't as good as it could have been, because they were only able to get one steroid shot into me before I went into labor, so she was on CPAP for almost 2 weeks and then on a nasal cannula for another 2 weeks.

Feeding was an issue for us, and actually kept her in the NICU an additional 2 weeks. It finally clicked for her at about 37 weeks. She was finally sent home after 9 weeks, one week before her original due date.

Other than that, we were extremely lucky. She had no major health issues; no brain bleeds, no surgical interventions, no major heart/lung issues, etc. She did have a small PDA (heart murmur), which got progressively smaller once she left the NICU and eventually closed on its own. She had a course of Lasix (a diuretic), while in the NICU, and was sent home on a less strong diuretic, which was discontinued in the next few months after discharge.

She continued to grow well after her NICU discharge, and is actually on track for her actual age (11 months old) for all developmental milestones.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. Hang in there mama, and keep cooking those babies for as long as possible!

• Loading the player...
  • I was put on bedrest at 28 weeks due to a shortening cervix. I had the FFN test and it was positive. I went into PTL at 30 weeks and got another FFN test, it was also postive. I gave birth to my boys that night.

My boys were in the NICU for 48 days and 58 days. They were only on a CPAP for 2 days, but didn't learn how to eat from a bottle until they were about 2 weeks away from being discharged. It was a long road, but thankfully they are doing really well now. Tage is still on an apnea monitor, but is doing good.

GL to you and I hope you can keep them cookin' awhile longer!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Hi! I had a positive Fetal Fibronectin 9 days before going in labour (FYI: I received steroid injections immediately following the positive FFn, and a repeat dose 24hrs later). I'd had no complications throughout my pregnancy. I spent 9 days on modified bedrest and on the 9th day, my water broke.

My girls were delivered via csection that evening at 32 weeks and 1 day. DD1 required ventilation for 4 days, DD2 required ventilation for 8 days. They were on O2 for about a month after that and spent almost 2 months in the NICU (much of this had to do with feeding difficulties).

Don't let others experiences worry you... you never know what will happen... many babies were born earlier than my girls were and had no respiratory difficulties, it really varies from baby to baby. 

Just make sure you are getting a ton of rest! Take care!

Daisypath imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • thank you for taking the time to respond.  It does my heart good to hear your success stories.  I have BIG faith after all we have been thru but it's still difficult.

BTW...I forgot to mention that last week I had some contrax or irritability of my uterus so I did get 2 doses of the betameth shots. 

I will continue to rest and hope/pray for the best.

• Late to the party I know but I had a positive ffn and delivered 3 weeks later at 27 w 3 d. Myboys are having a bumpier ride then some but are fighters and we are hopeful for the future. Congratulations on making it as far as you have, and keep up your positive attitude, it will get you far.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Yay for twin boys!!  I am a positive story of +FFN test at 28 weeks and here's my story: 

At 28 weeks exactly I went to L&D for what I just knew was leaking fluid. (I now realize that what thought might be leaking at 26 weeks probably was) I was right and after the FFN test confirmed it I was admitted to the hospital where I stayed until I delivered.  Thanks to some antibiotics, the steriod shots, an amazing medical team, and lots of prayers I made it **4** more weeks and delivered at 32 weeks exactly. 

Baby A came out screaming.... Baby B needed a little breathing assistance and was on a c-pap for 6 hours, but both did awesome and were in the NICU for 4 weeks and 5 weeks respectively. 

It was a bumpy ride for a while, but happy endings do happen.  Congrats to you and good luck!

PhotobucketPhotobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP #2 - 12/9/09 After being on bedrest for 10 weeks due to TTTS and hospital bedrest for 4 weeks due to PPROM, my sticky babies are here! Born at 32 weeks!!
  • I had two FFN tests.  The first was -, two weeks later it was +.  It was true and I did deliver my twins at 29w6d.  After I was on bedrest for 5 weeks they were delivered by c-section my choice.  I just wanted them to be delivered the safest way possible and that's what my doctor recommended.  They spent 5 weeks in the NICU and are going to be 2 in March.  My little boy now weighs 34 lbs and my little girl 30.  They are doing fantastic and compared to my friend that had twins a few weeks later on time, you would never know mine were so early.

Like others said the test is not 100% accurate but keep your head up and relax, lay down as much as possible if you are not already on bedrest. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"