August 2011 Moms

Genetic Testing?

So, at my appt today,  my Dr tells me we need to decide if we want to do the optional genetic testing. (Blood test for cystic fibrosis) and (ultrasound for down syndrome). I am really not sure what to do? I guess there is only a few weeks time span to do it.... and we have no familiy history of either... but I dont know. Do I get tested or No?

Anyone else come across this yet?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow our journey here: Isabella's Special Heart.... BLOG: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/IsabellaSanchez ****** Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Re: Genetic Testing?

• i did the nt scan and accompanying bloodwork. if it all comes back clean (i should hear this week) i won't be doing it with the next baby. 
    imageimage
  • I just called my doctor today to inquire about these questions after reading about week 13 6 d is the last day to do the NT scan.  When I asked him if that is something he recommended he told me it definitely isn't something I should worry about given my age.  I wasn't going to do it anyways because I am a worrier and regardless the results I'd still panic.  We love this baby already, no matter what, and although it would be nice to research and be fully informed if something was wrong, it also has a chance of not being accurate.  I completely respect those who choose to have it done and those who do not.  I say it is completely a personal decision between you and your SO. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Why wouldn't you get it done? It will help you get a more accurate picture of the health of your baby.

I had mine done last Wednesday & it was painless and actually enjoyable. 

Married 7/19/09
    MC 9/8/10
    Baby Boy Born 7/31/11
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Only reason I was thinking of not getting it done, was I had it done with my son and everything was fine. Just wondering what other folks opinions' are as well.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow our journey here: Isabella's Special Heart.... BLOG: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/IsabellaSanchez ****** Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I will be having this done simply because I'm over 35, and this is my first child. There are a few instances of genetic abnormalities resulting in fetal death on my husband's side of the family, and I also know my mother had a miscarriage (don't know the cause of it, though...she never had testing done).

While I wouldn't terminate, regardless of the results, I would like to know a better idea of our risks so we can prepare ourselves should there be an issue. I like the idea of the NT scan and bloodwork because it is non invasive (unlike amnio or CVS), and carries no risk of miscarriage. I know the results aren't quite as reliable, but I think it will give us a good idea anyway. Plus, it's another ultrasound, and I think I'm addicted to them! *grin* 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    SAIFW
  • My Dr. said given that we have no risk factors it was completely optional. I had it with my son (honestly I didn't even know what it was that time around and just thought it was the routine Ultrasound to have). I have opted to do it with this baby as well, mainly becuase I really did enjoy seeing our little one healthy and moving last time I did it. My DH and I are goind it to it in agreement though, that IF something did come back abnormal we wouldn't do anything to interfere wiht the pregnancy. So I guess we are considered one of the couples who do it as a chance to have an "extra" ultra-sound.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • pp is right, it's a personal decision. 

we are not having the genetic testing done. it isn't a diagnostic test that will be positive or negative, the results are your chances of having the disease/disorder. there are many other blood tests and at least 1 more ultrasound (hoping maybe more!) before birth that my doctor would be able to identify any issues we may face. also, my insurance does not cover it because I am not over 35 and we have no family history of anything, therefore it is "not medically necessary" for me.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I understand why people get them. My husband's little sister has Down's, so we already know we would never terminate and if our child had Downs we would go with the flow of the surprise. Plus my sister had a doctor tell her that her fourth child might have downs and she struggled with the idea of it and how she would handle it BUT he was born just fine. We opted out, though I know many opt for it
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I am not getting it done.   We decided that we would not move forward with the amnio and other tests following a potenial risk for downs, etc.  The geneyic testing does not tell you with any certainty that there will be a problem, just gives you a percentage chance which may or may not be accurate.   I have been stressed out enough with the fear of losing this baby, that it was just not another test I wanted to get done.   We will wait for our anatomy u/s.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My insurance covers it so I figure why not? 

TTCAL Siggy Challenge: "He's my favorite.  His birthday is the same as mine almost"

image image

Missing my little one lost at 9 weeks on 2.24.13. brokenhearted but not broken... 

d&c 5/21/13... Still Healing, Still Standing... 

MMC discovered 10/2/2013, TWINS... d&c 10/7/2013.  I still miss you, little ones. 

Surgery December 2013 to remove a 10+cm fibroid... Open myomectomy. Benched for 3-9 months... 
    Will TTC summer Summer 2014 we hope!

Dear God, Since I couldn't hold my little one in my lap and tell him about you, could you hold him in your lap and tell him about me? 

PgAL and PAL always welcome...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"