Parenting after a Loss
Options

Who here had GD?

What's the 'treatment' for it... just a change in diet? 

Since my 1 point fail, I've been thinking about it and wondering if I can just skip the second test and proceed as if I DO have it. I mean, if it's just diet change, well, I can do that for the next 8-9 weeks, and if it would be better for me and baby to just go ahead with the diet, then why put myself through all that blood work, and if the second one is negative, well, I know I'll just keep eating whatever I want, healthy or not...

Don't think I'm just not wanting to do the time/testing. I'm just thinking that with Kaygan being so big, it might be a good idea to just eat like I do have it and not waste everyones time (meaning the dr. office) with the testing.

Of course, if the treatment involves meds or something, well then of course I'd want to know if they are actually needed. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Who here had GD?

• Options
    I was in your shoes - I failed the 1hr by just 2 points.  I wasn't able to do the 3 hr because of work; instead I did a 2 hr post-prandial every month.  I consistantly either passed or failed by a few points.  My OB treated me as a diabetic - getting NST and BPP, watching my diet, checking my blood sugar in the office, etc. I didn't have to take any meds, thankfully, but I remember him telling me that if I started to fail the tests by more than just a few points, then meds, might be needed. 
  • Options
    I did!  It wasn't all that bad after I got over the shock of having it.  Once you learn what you can and can't eat its a piece of cake!  It helps if you add more protein and veggies to your meals to counter out the carbs.  For example, you can eat pizza, if you eat a salad with it.  I could still eat ice cream at night.  I could not though eat white rice....that would shoot my numbers up.  I never had to take meds, and after awhile he let me stop checking my blood sugars after ever meal.  I just had to take it once a day.  Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

FWIW...

I failed the 1 hour by 1 point as well.  I passed the 3 hour with crazy flying colors (like the midwife was surprised that I had failed the 1 hour).  She said, though, that there has to be a cut-off point somewhere, and it just so happens that I ended up one point higher.  If your insurance covers the 3-hour test, and you have the time to take it (and childcare for Kaygan), I'd go ahead and take the test. 

• Options

Just watch your carbs like pp said. I failed miserably on both the one and three hour tests. I was alotted 30 grams of carbs for breakfast (because morning is when your blood sugars are most resistent to insulin) and 45 grams for both lunch and dinner. Snacks, which the required that I have two snacks a day, were 30 grams as well. The key is consistency. Keep your blood sugar level by eating at normal intervals, and making sure you are eating the right things. It's ok to divulge occasionally, just don't go crazy. However, my good friend had GD, and she wasn't able to control it with diet, she had to take meds. Only your body will know if it's going to tolerate just a diet change, or is going to need meds. I would take the three hour, just to know. IMO. HTH!

• Options

I did and currently do. I don't think that skipping the test is a resonable solution.  Reason being, that not all GD is controlled by diet.  For instance, I am able to control my numbers all day with food, but my fasting number (the initial one in the morning before eating) is the one that I have a hard time with.  You cannot control that with food, so I have to be on a medication to regulate this number.  If your sugar is spiking overnight then you are missing the point.  Just that spike once per day can become an issue for you and baby. 

I know the test sucks, but it is smarter to know and deal with it accordingly.

1st pregnancy: m/c began 1/12/09 d&c 1/13/09 8wks. Baby stopped growing at about 6wks.

Delaney: Born 10/15/09

Gavin: Born 4/8/11

Baby #3: due July 10, 2014

• Options
    Thanks everyone! I didn't realize that there was so much involved in all of this. Guess that 3 hour is gonna suck!!! Ironically, I dreamed that I had this coversation with my OB last night!
  • Options
    The 3 hr isnt bad....just bring something to read and a snack for when you are done.  I did so well with my sugar I only had to test every other day.  However, Noah did end up in the NICU because he couldn't control his sugars when he came out.  It's very mportantyou  go to the 3 hr. You will meet with a nutritionist if you fail the 3hr.  I wrote down what I ate and that helped me keep my diet in check. HTH good luck
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"