VBAC

switching OB at 22 weeks?

I've made it clear that I want a VBAC since I got pregnant, and my OB has continued to say that she will let me try. But, I just found out from our local ICAN chapter that she is not known as one of the doctors who is very supportive of VBACs. There are two very good doctors who also have midwives in their practices and both are covered by my insurance.

I think I am low-risk - I was induced for pre-e, so forced to lay on my back in bed with a posterior baby. 12 hours later they started getting concerned about infection and even though I was dilated to 8cm they decided to do a c-section. (This was in another city, not with my current OB.)

Do you think a new practice would take me at 22 weeks? I just don't feel like I have that great of a chance with her if she isn't truly that supportive of VBACs.

Re: switching OB at 22 weeks?

• I switched at 20 weeks and I think it was the single most important thing I could have done to give myself a good chance at a VBAC. It can't hurt to call and ask!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I switched at 24w from my old midwife practice to one that really supports VBACs.  I'm soooo glad I did b/c I had the unfortunate surprise of developing GD this time around and I just know that if I was still with the old practice that it would be a much bigger issue than it is since I'm diet-controlled. 
    DS born via c/s 11/08 and med-free GD VBAC DD 3/11! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Just noticed you are in IL, are you in the Chicagoland area? 
    DS born via c/s 11/08 and med-free GD VBAC DD 3/11! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • With my first pregnancy I switched past 30 weeks. I definitely think you'd be fine to switch.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • It's not too late to switch to another doctor.  Before you officially switch, you can probably schedule a consultation.  Then you can leave your options open.  If you think that you would like to deliver with one of the midwives, you may want to schedule the consultation directly with them.
  • imagedrakee:
    It's not too late to switch to another doctor.  Before you officially switch, you can probably schedule a consultation.  Then you can leave your options open.  If you think that you would like to deliver with one of the midwives, you may want to schedule the consultation directly with them.

I would do this.  Call and see if you can have a consultation.  If you don't like them, you can stick with your current doctor.

If you are having doubts about your OB, I would at least look into other options.  I had doubts about my OB last time and thought about switching, but never followed through.  My OB ended up mismanaging my labor and I had a c/s (which is why I am on this board).  I hated how she treated me during my birth and afterwards too.  I've always wished I had at least looked into switching.  

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I switched at 34 weeks...

In addition to having a consultation with other potential docs, you may want to discuss your concerns with your current OB.  Tell her exactly what you've heard and feel her out for how supportive she truly is.  At least then she would have an idea of why you switched if/when you do and maybe she'll be more open and supportive to other women wanting to VBAC.

imageimage

TTC #1 Cycle 14 - IUI#1=BFN, IUI#2=BFP | TTC #2 Cycle 8=BFP!! imageimage

• My first OB appointment with my current doctor was at 24 weeks this time around.  Go for it!  :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I switched at 30 weeks!  It doesn't hurt to ask.  Be sure to get all your medical records from the previous OB (it took a week for me to get my records and my new OB wouldn't see me until he read through my chart).
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imagechicsub:
    Just noticed you are in IL, are you in the Chicagoland area? 

No, Peoria. I was in Chicago with my first though and had my c-section at St. Joseph's. The nurses there were great but I didn't care for the doctor on call for my OB.

• Thanks, everyone! Glad to know many of you switched around this point or even later. I called a different practice yesterday and as long as my insurance is okay with the switch I will be going to my next appointment with them. Just had a nagging feeling I couldn't shake, so I hope I will feel much better once I'm with this practice.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"