May 2011 Moms

XP from Baby Names: Caroline nn Cara or Cara as stand alone name? WDYT?

I asked this on Baby Names, but I also want the opinion of my fellow May Mommas. Do you prefer the FN Caroline with Cara as a NN or Cara as a standalone name? MN will probably be Marie or Mae after one of my great-grandmothers. Last name is 2 syllables and starts with the letter "B". ***BACKGROUND: DH and I are struggling with names. He seems to prefer unisex names (Riley, Morgan). He also liked the name Carly because his Dad's name is Carlton and his dad passed away when DH was 18. I prefer classic feminine names (my own name is unisex, though mostly female). Anyway, our remaining list is: Morgan (DH favorite, not mine); Paige; Charlotte (nn Charley); and Caroline (nn Cara but I really dislike Carol). Since we like Irish names (we are both Irish and our fn's are Irish) I've started thinking about naming our daughter Cara as a stand alone name. WDYT? ** sorry for lack of clicky poll or spacing. This was written on a mac.***
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: XP from Baby Names: Caroline nn Cara or Cara as stand alone name? WDYT?

• I like Caroline and Cara (my name is Cara :) ), but I don't like Cara as a nn. Both are great stand alone names in my opinion though.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I like Caroline, but I love the classic names anyways. Caroline was on our top ten list, but didn't make it to top 5.

Still both are very pretty names, and I love both!

• Loading the player...
  • I like Caroline and Cara both, but I don't think that Cara comes naturally as a NN for Caroline.  It'd be more confusing for people than not, in my opinion.  I'd just pick one of the names and go with it!  I really doubt you'll get Carol as a NN for Caroline often, if ever.
    Married to my best friend 6/5/10
    BFP #1 9/7/10, EDD 5/14/11, Violet born 5/27/11.
    BFP #2 4/9/12, EDD 12/16/12, M/C Rory 4/24/12.
    BFP #3 10/6/12, EDD 6/16/12., Matilda born 6/17/13.
  • I agree with PP, Cara and Caroline and two different names and Cara doesn't come naturally as a nn. If you dislike Carol I would name her Cara to avoid the possibility.
    Logan Alexander born May 9th 2011. He has stolen my heart forever. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BFP #2 05/24/12 EDD 01/31/13 D&C 06/26/12 Missing you. Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Diagnosed with Ashermans 11/06/12 Surgery 01/18/13, Cleared for TTC 03/01/13 BFP 03/26/13 IT'S A BOY! Please Be Our Rainbow! BabyFruit Ticker
  • Caroline...love it!
  • My DD is Caroline nn Callie on occasion. I'm a sucker for Caroline, but Cara is a great stand alone name, too.
    Photobucket
  • I like Caroline a lot, and I don't see why you couldn't use Cara as a nickname for it. 
  • personally I severely dislike full names then calling nicknames, from a teacher's standpoint it is difficult on the child at first, confusing for teachers, and a pain on standardized tests.

I also get called a nn that I am not thrilled with "strangers" using it.  They hear it from my family then pick it up.  Annoys me.

So, my son Alex is just Alex.

I vote Cara, plain and simple, not short for anything, just Cara. 

• Thanks Everyone!!! I'm now leaning towards Cara, but still need to convince dh.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • i vote for caroline but i also am a big fan of charlotte nn charley!
    DD Stillborn 4/25/11 @ 37w4d due to umbilical cord accident
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"