Indiana Babies
Options

NBR: kerosene camping lantern - indoors?

I'm preparing us to possibly be without power for a day or two due to ICE STORM OF DOOM.  Flashlights, firewood, bottled water, check.  We have a camping lantern, the Coleman kerosene kind with the 2 mantles that light up and glow.  Is that safe to use indoors, or are there fumes?

Signed,

Not the camping expert in the family

#PerfectStrangers

2012 Races:
1/28 - Planet Adventure night trail 1/4-marathon - 1:25:47
3/24 - Sam Costa half marathon - 2:02:47
4/14 - Hoosier 10 miler - 1:25:21 (8:32) PR!
7/8 - XTERRA Freedom Fest Hawaii 10K
9/1 - Indianapolis Women's Half Marathon
10/20 - Indianapolis Marathon Relay
11/4 - Monumental Marathon (full marathon #2)
11/22 - Drumstick Dash 4.5mi

Re: NBR: kerosene camping lantern - indoors?

• Options
    I'm not a camper, but, logic would say that these could be used in a tent which would tell me there could be fumes there too.  Also, my MIL has a kerosene heater that is used (and meant for) indoors so I would assume (again, totally assuming) that it would be the same.
  • Options
    All I can think of is those huge kerosene heaters of the 80's and I would lean to think they are safe.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Dh says they are safe to use indoors, however there are fumes and you need to have ventilation so crack a window.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP #2 11/4/12 EDD 7/20/12 missed M/C 12/13/12 @8w5d D&C 12/21/12
    DX 2/7/13 with an alloimmunity + for anti-paternal antibodies started Lovenox daily & BA
    BFP 2/16/13 EDD 10/28/13

• Options
    I'd only use it if your CO detector has battery backup, and I wouldn't use it if you aren't both awake. Let's hope this crap doesn't get as bad as predicted. Blah!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"