September 2011 Moms

Who is going to Cloth Diaper?

I would like to even though DH is not really on board. 

It all seems a bit overwhelming however. I would hate to spend lots of $ on building a stash & then realize that it doesn't work out or I hate using them or something.

I have been visiting the the CD page for ideas.  The ladies over there are knowledgeable & helpful.  I think I might start with some GroVia AIO's.

Anyone else thinking of CD-ing or even started a stash already?

Re: Who is going to Cloth Diaper?

• I love the idea of cloth diapering.. but I know myself, and I am far too lazy. I haven't looked much into it, but it just sounds so much easier to use disposable. Also, I'm pretty sure DH would give me crazy eyes if I even mentioned it. lol

photo 22e3a93e-8933-4ed0-acf4-72665341621b_zpsd73ca8f6.jpgp>

"What did my fingers do before they held you? What did my heart do with it's love?"

CafeMom Tickers

Follow Me on Pinterest

• I'm planning on cloth diapering. DH isn't exactly on board either, but I know ultimately it will end up being my decision. I'm hoping to use a diapering service, but I think it'll be okay if we have to do the laundering our selves too. I haven't done extensive research on the various types of diapers, yet. I have been told, though, that it's best to try different sample styles because you'll end up preferring one brand/style than another. So I'm thinking I'll probably getting a couple different styles right before LO arrives and see what s/he works best with, too. Of course, this could all change as the EDD gets closer. :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • We do with my son & will for this LO.
    I use BumGenius pockets exclusively... They (IMO) are the easiest and very cost efficient. I spent hours and hours researching.. In the end I just used sposies for the first 2 wks or so.... Dealing with the meconium it wasnt worth it to get prefolds, etc to start with.. It was simple getting DH on board as soon as I showed him how much $$ we would save : )
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I used CDs w/ my dd and will use them again with this one. No regrets!
  • I plan on using CDs with baby number one. My DH is on board, but he thinks I will change my mind and want to go to sposies.
    <a href=
  • I CD DS (started at 10 months) and will CD this baby. I plan to use prefolds for the newborn stage since they grow so fast, and then bumgenius and Thirsties pockets once he or she fits into one size diapers. 
    DS May 12, 2009 DD September 7, 2011
  • imageTraycee1242:
    We do with my son & will for this LO.
    I use BumGenius pockets exclusively... They (IMO) are the easiest and very cost efficient. I spent hours and hours researching.. In the end I just used sposies for the first 2 wks or so.... Dealing with the meconium it wasnt worth it to get prefolds, etc to start with.. It was simple getting DH on board as soon as I showed him how much $$ we would save : )

:::dirty lurking:::

Your son could be a baby model! He is absolutely adorable. Youre going to be beating the girls off of him! He looks like the baby version of Chad Michael Murray! 

• I like bum genious too. Also you can do trials of diapers so you get a small stash of differnt kinds to find out what style you like best and what works for you
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    br
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersbr>
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • ::raises hand::

We will be. DH is completely on board. I'm in the process of making my covers and inserts. The benefits of sewing = cloth diapers at around $3.50 a pop.

• We use gdiapers and love them!  They are super easy.  I would crunch some number for your DH.  They tend to like saving money and CDing saves SO MUCH!!!
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I totally want to but haven't started my stash, yet.  Maybe with my income tax return money I'll start buying cloth diapers.  I mentioned it to DH once and he wasn't totally against it, so I'm taking that as a yes.  Plus, my dad will be my full-time babysitter and since he used cloth with my brothers and me (old school flats, pins, and rubber pants), I don't think he'll have a problem with it at all.

Plus, they just look so darn cute and you won't run out of them, just have to do a load of laundry.  I like that.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We do part-time.  We use cloth when at home (I SAH).  DS wears sposies at nights, for trips out of the house, and on the weekends. It works for us.  It has cut the number of diapers we have bought easily in half if not more.  It is worth a try if you are interested, if you don't like it there is a re-sale value. I have been able to sell off any CDs that don't work for us and recoup some of the money. You have to remember sposies might appear cheaper, but every time you buy one you are throwing it away. It adds up over time.  Where CDs the cost is upfront.  Also, as a PP mentioned you can do a trial where there is some upfront cost, but you return what you don't like and get your money back.  Jilliansdrawers has a popular trial.  

ETA:  the savings are tremendous now that we are using many of the same diapers on #2 and soon #3.  It would even be bigger if we did it full-time.   

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We will be cloth diapering our LO. I already started my stash and so far have about 20 pocket diaper/aio's that I bought second hand off a lady on craigslist and 6 kawaii diapers that I got off ebay. I really like the kawaii's and they were a fraction of the price of bum genius, fuzzibunz, etc.
    September 2011 Mom's Siggy Challenge- Celebrate! imageLilypie Maternity tickers
  • We will be CD. DH is mostly on board. planning to use a combo of fitted prefolds and one size pockets.
    image   image   image
    TTC since 2010 | 3 miscarriages | Diagnosed with stage IV endo | Adopted our little girl Aug 25, 2014

image AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • We're going to CD.  We've started our stash with Bum Genius 4.0's, and are going to build to a 2-3 day supply of those before baby gets here.  We're borrowing NB sized diapers from a gf who's due 3 months before us.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    We'll always remember our angel baby: BFP 9/24/10, M/C 10/23/10 8w4d
  • We're going to be use gDiapers and I've started building a small reserve so far. We also added them to our registry (the gPants and the gCloth Inserts). DH is 100% on board, and we're both excited to do it this way.
  • I'm going to cloth diaper. I plan to use the Gerber ones I saw in Target with the covers. Old school, but oh,well. I want to cloth diaper to save money. Anything to save!
    Who will it be? William Jamal or Madison Rose? BabyFruit Ticker
  • We CD with our first and will be with this baby, too. I didn't know what I wanted so I got a mixture. We ended up using prefolds at home and usually had pockets or aio's when we were out. Like pp, I used sposies for the first few weeks while we adjusted and the belly button healed. It was really easy once we got into the swing of things. I got a lot of my covers from etsy and a lot of my stash from diaperswappers.com. Really saved me a ton.
  • I've been thinking about it, but haven't decided yet.  I've heard pros and cons on both sides and will probably make up my mind later on in the pregnancy.

mm 2/17/11 * dd born 4/20/12 * bo 1/3/14 * edd 1/211/15 

• imagejulygal:

We do part-time.  We use cloth when at home (I SAH).  DS wears sposies at nights, for trips out of the house, and on the weekends. It works for us.  It has cut the number of diapers we have bought easily in half if not more.  It is worth a try if you are interested, if you don't like it there is a re-sale value. I have been able to sell off any CDs that don't work for us and recoup some of the money. You have to remember sposies might appear cheaper, but every time you buy one you are throwing it away. It adds up over time.  Where CDs the cost is upfront.  Also, as a PP mentioned you can do a trial where there is some upfront cost, but you return what you don't like and get your money back.  Jilliansdrawers has a popular trial.  

ETA:  the savings are tremendous now that we are using many of the same diapers on #2 and soon #3.  It would even be bigger if we did it full-time.   

This is pretty much what we plan to do.  I'll use disposables at first because I hear they're easier with the umbilical cord, but we plan on cloth diapering unless baby is going to Grandma's house or the church nursery, etc.  I've never tried to clean a poopy cloth diaper without a diaper sprayer, and I don't know that I'd want to (nor would I want to make anyone else do it!).  But I've been lucky to personally witness 3 friends of mine successfully CD, so it's not really scary or intimidating to me.  DH likes it because there's less trash, and we'll save money in the long run.

• I CD'd my oldest...which worked out great since he was allergic to the crap in the disposables. With DD I lived in an apartment and the laundromat told me I wasn't allowed to wash diapers there, so we went with disposables. To be honest, I hate them.

This baby will be DH's first. I have managed to talk him into CD's, and I think once he gets used to them, he will be delighted. With DS I had used the old style, flat diaper with pins and rubber pants. For this LO I think we will be going with something a little "fancier"...mainly because DH thinks they would be easier for him.

• Also, I came across this, which I found interesting.  Don't know that it's what I will do, but it's definitely an option.

https://a-heart4home.blogspot.com/2011/01/start-cloth-diapering-for-only-20-no.html

• imagejulygal:

We do part-time.  We use cloth when at home (I SAH).  DS wears sposies at nights, for trips out of the house, and on the weekends. It works for us.  It has cut the number of diapers we have bought easily in half if not more.  It is worth a try if you are interested, if you don't like it there is a re-sale value. I have been able to sell off any CDs that don't work for us and recoup some of the money. You have to remember sposies might appear cheaper, but every time you buy one you are throwing it away. It adds up over time.  Where CDs the cost is upfront.  Also, as a PP mentioned you can do a trial where there is some upfront cost, but you return what you don't like and get your money back.  Jilliansdrawers has a popular trial.  

If we do it, I kind of anticipate it will be part-time, like this.  DH isn't really on board with it yet, but also not opposed to it.  I think we will probably do disposables at first, and I'm interested to look into one of the trials that PP's mentioned in order to find out what type/brand will work for us.

• imagehollywreath:
    I'm going to cloth diaper. I plan to use the Gerber ones I saw in Target with the covers. Old school, but oh,well. I want to cloth diaper to save money. Anything to save!

I rec staying away from the Gerber ones.. those are better for burp cloths. :) Green Mountain prefolds are *much* better and the cost is about the same. You will probably be able to find them used if you look!

• DH and I will be CDing. I havent started building a stash yet because we dont have a washer/dryer in our apartment right now (but we'll be moving before the baby gets here)
  • We plan on it.  DH was on board as soon as I explained the cost savings.  I haven't really started researching brands and such yet, but about half of my mommy friends do it and love it. 
  • I want to, but I have a lot of research to do before I know what kind or anything.  For me it is mostly about saving money, but also has a lot to do with the environment.  It will also probably only be part time, unfortunately, because I already anticipate the side-eye I'm going to get from my environment-hating ILs, and I know they will be babysitting for us.  I'm pretty sure my parents will give me some level of side-eye as well. 

DH's understanding of CDing when I brought it up to him was that you just wrap a sheet around the kid, pin it in place, and call it a day.  He assumed that I was ridiculous to even propose something so absurd, and envisioned non-stop CD leakage.  He was adamantly against it, despite me explaining to him that CDs have come an awfully long way, and it's not like that at all, and it saves tons of money.  He remained completely against it until one of our friends (a guy with no kids and no intention of having any) explained to him that about 4 couples that he knows CD, and how money-saving and easy it is.  He listens to his friends, but not his wife.  Nice.

• We are going to use CD's after our bambino is out of the newborn stage (we will use disposables in the begining unless our baby is linebacker size and fits right into the CD's!). 

I've been doing lots of research and we've narrowed it down to bumGenuis 4.0 pockets or Elemental AIO's.  They seem to get the highest reviews and seem to have a fairly simple ease of use. 

I'm now researching CD safe detergents and finding which one is the best bang for the buck.  Looking like Crunchy Clean is where we're headed. 

DH is totally onboard with this.  He's aware of the money savings along with all the other benefits (less blowouts, quicker potty training, etc). 

T & J 5.9.09
    MMC 2.12.11 @ 8w
    PVM 5.8.12
    GWM 3.17.15
    RPM 2.21.19

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Thanks for posting this!  We are planning to CD after our little one is out of the newborn sizes and will fit into a CD.  I enjoyed reading all of your recommendations.  Bum Genious is what I'd been leaning towards, but I still can't decide between pockets and all-in-ones. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker Henry - Born October 1, 2011 Baby #2 - Due August 30, 2013!
  • We're definitely planing to cloth diaper. We haven't started buying any yet though. I want to soon because the ones I want are a little bit pricey. When DH was throwing a diaper party for his best friend a little over a year ago, he was doing some research about disposable diapers and decided then that we were going to cloth diaper. lol.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"