Detroit Babies
Options

Diaper Bag Question

Hi ladies. I was at Great Lakes Crossing on Saturday...and Coach was handing out 30% off coupons...so I couldn't resist buying a diaper bag. It was my first baby related purchase :-) I haven't done any research though on features, etc that are useful for diaper bags. What do you guys find useful or helpful? FWIW, the one I got was a coated canvas which will wipe clean. I figured that would be helpful. Any tips or recs appreciated! I can always return the one I got, even though I got a great deal on it :-)
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Diaper Bag Question

• Options

I think it is just what you prefer.  If it can be wiped clean thats the most important feature in my opinion, other than a big space on the inside.

The one we had (before the zipper busted) was one giant bag with like three outside pockets.  I hated the outside pockets, I like all of the stuff to be together in one spot.  It was this one, I also used the little one a ton for quick trips.  https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?sku=16704601&utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=shopping

The new one we have has some outside pockets I dont use them, but dh always shoves crap in there and I can never find what I'm looking for.  It is pretty big on the inside. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002V3IQVE/ref=asc_df_B002V3IQVE1414228?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B002V3IQVE

Mommy's little helper :)Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Lots of space and washable were my 2 biggest things.  I just couldn't justify buying a Coach diaper bag (and I'm a huge Coach snob) because I didn't want to ruin it.  I ended up with a Vera Bradley because I can throw it in the washer.  I like the outside pockets and inside pockets to organize stuff.  Plus, having the changing pad is huge and I love that it's washable. 
    Gabriel Joseph 6/13/2010
    BFP#2: 8/14/11 M/C 8/30/11 6w1d
    BFP #3: 10/26/11
    Beta #1 @11dpo: 22 Beta #2 @13dpo: 90 Beta #3 @17dpo: 480
    Missed m/c 12w3d 12/28/11, d&c 12/30/11
    dx Homozygous C677T MTHFR image image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageballerina06:
    Lots of space and washable were my 2 biggest things.  I just couldn't justify buying a Coach diaper bag (and I'm a huge Coach snob) because I didn't want to ruin it.  I ended up with a Vera Bradley because I can throw it in the washer.  I like the outside pockets and inside pockets to organize stuff.  Plus, having the changing pad is huge and I love that it's washable. 

This. I actually have a Vera Bradley one and a Coach one. The coach one was a gift. I prefer my Vera  Bradley one just because I like that it zips easier. With my Coach one it's a hassle to zip and I always feel like everything is falling out all over the place to it's just hanging wide open. 

I would also recommend making sure that the diaper bag fits on/around whatever stroller you decide. The Vera Bradley doesn't fit in the basket under our stroller. It does it some strollers, just not the make/model we bought. So it's just another thing to think about.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I got a really cute Coach diaper bag when I was pregnant with Noah and honestly I've never used it as a diaper bag.  Not sure if they changed it, but the one I had had no pockets- it literally was just a bag with a changing pad.  It ended up working better as an overnight bag.  This time around, I ended up getting a Vera Bradley which I LOVE!  There's 2 pouches on the side of the bag, so I can fit bottles in there very nicely.  There's two other pockets on the front- I never use them, but they're flush with the bag, so they don't get in the way.  The inside has pouches so I can stick medicine bottles, gas drops, pacificers, etc and they don't get lost. The changing pad that comes with it is really nice too.  Most seem to be plasticy so you can wipe it down easy, but plastic gets cold, especially against the baby's bare skin.  This one is terry cloth.  The best part is everything can be thrown in the wash.  For use it's worked well- It's big enough to carry everything we need, but isn't overly big that it's always getting in the way

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thanks, everyone!
  • Options

I have a Coach one and I really like it.  It is pretty spacious on the inside but has zippered pockets and also pouches in there too.  It came with a changing pad as well.

But, now I'm going to have to check out these Vera Bradley ones... I've been telling DH I would like something Vera Bradley some day...

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I started w/a big diaper bag & have toned that down, to me w/a purse & diaper bag I was tired of all the space it took, esp. if you go out to eat, etc..

My last 2 bags (I wore the 1st one out) were actually ones that were made like a backpack.  I currently have a Jeep Baby Traveler one that I bought for $20 at Walmart & I love it.  It has so many storage compartments & it's actually smaller than me old on, but not too small.  I don't take a ton of stuff & I still have room in it.  I LOVE that it's a backpack too, really great when you're carrying the carseat & anything else, you don't have to worry about the straps following down your shoulder.  It's very helpful w/2 kids. 

I love that is has the changing pad & also a bag for dirty clothes included.  You can either have bottles on the inside or outside, and one of the inside bottle compartments is insulated if you need to keep your bottles or other stuff cold. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagebroncoalum97:

I started w/a big diaper bag & have toned that down, to me w/a purse & diaper bag I was tired of all the space it took, esp. if you go out to eat, etc..

I will also add that I do not carry a purse when I am out with DD.  I just stick my wallet in the diaper bag.  I only have a purse if I am going out and about by myself.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I just bought a new diaper bag because I have come to hate my first one.  To me, it is important that it have lots of compartments and storage space.  My first bag was essentially just a big bag.  I was constantly digging around for things.  I also suggest a bag that has one strap or is a backpack.  My first bag had two straps and the straps were always slipping off my shoulders.  As DS has gotten bigger and we are all in winter gear (bulk), it is hard for me to carry him with the bag falling off my shoulder.  Finally, size is now an issue for me.  It is incredibly obnoxious to try to shove a large bag under the stroller.  I was constantly struggling with it. I rarely actually zipped it, so the contents were always falling out.  Finally, being able to wash it is essential.  

It sounds like you have higher end taste in diaper bags, but I am learning to love my new Columbia backpack.  It is just so convenient to have two free hands and be able to find everything quickly. There is nothing more frustrating that digging and having to pull everything out of the bag just to find the lone pacifier as your LO is screaming in a restaurant.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"