June 2011 Moms
Options

Ice and snow

We're supposed to get 1-2 inches of ice in the next two days and maybe 12 inches of snow.. And we're supposed to not have power for a few days.

Has anyone else had this kind of weather before? And what did you do?

Again, I wish it was summer.... for the warmth and the baby Smile

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Ice and snow

• Options
    They are predicting the same exact weather here. I hate ice more than anything. Ugh.
    Our journey as NEWLYWEDS!<3</a>
    My Married Bio

Love, marriage and a baby carriage :)image
  • Options
    We're supposed to get it too, we stocked up on the kerosene for a heater we have and will live in one room with the heater on if we lose power.  My husband works for the power company so he HAS to get to work no matter the weather so it's just me and the kiddo going nuts.  I got a couple of new toys today so if we do lose power he has something new to catch his attention for a bit, if we don't lose power I will save them for another emergency.  Not too much fun with the LO.  Good luck everyone, stay warm!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We were supposed to get some ice due to the same storm, but we are just far south enough that it looks like it's just going to be rain. First time we've lucked out all winter. Good luck! I hope your power stays ON and you can just hunker down in your house.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

UPDATE:

...And the new plan is to go over to MIL and FIL's house with DH's brothers and SIL and their kids.... Eight adults, 4 kids, 2 dogs, a cat and one camp toilet....

Oh what fun.

• Options

Only one thing you can do -

• Options

Having always lived in the north, yes I've definitely been through weather like that!

When I lived in St. Louis, we got bad ice storms.  If you keep your car outside, expect the door handles, locks, etc. to be frozen over.  Usually the wind only comes from one direction, so it's only frozen over on one side, so you can get in on the other side.  If you can't get the key to turn in the lock (if you don't have the clicky thing), you can use a lighter to heat up your key, and when you put it in, it'll melt the ice.  Maybe not the best trick, but it does work in a jam.  Also, give yourself plenty of time for the car to heat up before driving (like 30+ minutes at least), so the ice can melt off of the windshield.  If you try to pull the windshield wipers out of the ice, odds are you will break them.  If you do - Home Depot and similar places will have replacements that are very easy to install.  Target might too, not sure.

Snow/ice - if you are not used to driving in snow/ice, try not to.  If you absolutely have to, make sure you drive slower than usual, and brake way way way in advance.  Don't turn your wheel while braking; you'll slide.  If you need to turn, make sure you are using the gas.   Also, drive in the center lane rather than the right-most lane if there's a choice - as people turning onto your street from other streets may have trouble stopping at the intersection, and may slide out into the street.  

Electricity - fill some buckets, or better yet, a bathtub, with water and keep a bucket nearby.  Then you can use the water in the bathtub to flush the toilets.  Make sure your cell phones are fully charged.  Cordless landline phones won't work, but ones with a cord will.   

Finally updating my signature and avatar, August 29, 2011 (better late than never!) Jake! (born July 3, 2011 - 6 days past due) Image and video hosting by TinyPic December Siggy Challenge: Favorite Holiday Movie Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    We are supposed to get this too and I am dreading it :( being at home all day is boring enough WITH tv and internet. ugh, stupid weather! I'm glad it's getting it out of it's system now though because we are scheduled to be on a flight to Jamaica this Sunday! wooohooo!
  • Options

imagebabyduejune:
    We are supposed to get this too and I am dreading it :( being at home all day is boring enough WITH tv and internet. ugh, stupid weather! I'm glad it's getting it out of it's system now though because we are scheduled to be on a flight to Jamaica this Sunday! wooohooo!

My anatomy scan is Wednesday in Columbus (I live in Marion, OH) & I'm hoping to get Tuesday & Wednesday off work (so my p/t conferences will be rescheduled to next week)...with a clearing by Wed. afternoon so I can make it to my scan! Of course this has to happen during the most exciting time of my pregnancy, thus far! 

• Options

OP...what part of indiana are you? I'm down in Indy and we're already getting hit.

Stay warm and safe!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    we are expecting a bad storm system to come in tomorrow night into wednesday. It is not nearly as bad as that but having a high of only 20 around here and with snow is litterally like hell freezing over. If we even get rain people freak out and schools get closed. Try to stay nice and warm and safe.

• Options

We have started the lesser part of the storm (only 6-8 inches), which is still pretty bad. I came into work today (stupid mistake) and I will most likely take vacation and stay home tomorrow. We are expecting another 6-10 inches as well as sleet, freezing rain and thunder snow.

The snow drifts are taller than I am here. And apparently we get to look forward to another storm.

Be safe out there ladies!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"