Infertility

WWYD? More IUIs?

I just found out recently that my insurance coverage has changed and that I am now allowed unlimited IUIs.  (Originally, I was told I could only do three.)  Conveniently, this information comes after two failed IUIs and the RE telling me that she would like to move on to IVF after one more.  Crying

Anyway, it is up to me how many IUIs to try, so how many would you do?  I have been responding well to the Clomid - I had one follie for IUI #1 and two for #2.  We do not have any sperm count issues.  I am leaning towards trying more IUIs because they are covered and we really can't afford IVF.  WWYD?

imageimageimage

TTC since March 2009 // Me and DH - 28
Testing Summer/Fall 2010 - Unexplained IF
IUIs #1-4 ~ Clomid/Ovidrel/TI/IUI ~ all BFNs
IUI #5 ~ Femara/Ovidrel/TI/IUI ~ BFN
IUIs #6-9 ~ Research Study Meds/Pregnyl/TI/IUI ~ all BFNs
IVF Consultation, More Testing
Diagnostic Cycle ~ Mucinex/Progesterone/TI ~ BFN
IVF #1 ~ Menopur/Bravelle/Ganirelix/Novarel/Progesterone/Lupron
7R, 6F // 2 transferred // 3 frosties ~ BFN
FET #1 ~ Estrace/PIO/Lupron
3 thawed // 2 transferred // 1 lost // no more frosties ~ BFP!!
Beta #1 - 456 // Beta #2 - 1176 // Beta #3 - 2933 // Beta #4 - 6753
EDD: May 16, 2013
Threatened MC at 6w2d
Bedrest for SCH // 6w2d through 10w1d
Elevated TSH and Lazy Thyroid DX @ 10w - Started Synthroid
Finally released from RE at 13w
Charles Everett ~ Born 5/20/2013

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

~~ My IF Blog ~~ 

Re: WWYD? More IUIs?

• Honestly?  I would move on to IVF as soon as you can afford it.  The success rates are just so much better than IVF.  Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Since you've only done 2 IUIs, I would try 1-2 more before moving on to IVF. Will your insurance cover injectables? If so, I would try them before moving on to IVF. FWIW  that's what I'm doing even though I respond well to Clomid too.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • ditto PP.  Are injectables covered?  Is IVF not covered?  I would at least try injectables before moving to IVF if it is not!  Plus I dont have experience, but it seems like people on here seem to think it is good for the RE to get a feeling of how you respond to injects prior to your IVF cycle.   Though they may be better to ask than I am .... 
    TTC#2: septum removed, 2 losses, Stage 2 Endo, thin lining, slight MFI
    iui #5 2/7 + 2/8 = BFP!! 11 dpiui
    Beta #1 2/18 11dpiui= 46, Beta #2 13dpiui 150, Beta #3 16dpiui 584!!
    u/s revealed triplets! Baby B 3rd loss 8w2d. Twins! EDD 10/31/11 * c/s scheduled 10/12/11 My NEW BLOG Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm with you. I would do at least one or two more IUI's first. My RE said he wants me to have at least 3 successful ovulatory cycles with IUI before moving on to IVF. I like that idea since IUI+injectables is covered for me, but IVF isn't, and is 100% OOP.
  • I would try one more IUI if it is covered, but start planning for IVF.  My DH and I did three unsuccessful IUI's with no explanation.  We have no known issues at this point and our success rates were very low.  We have done 1 IVF and have had success so far.  I know money is a huge factor, but success rates make all the difference.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We are in a similar situation- we have 6 IUI's covered but nothing for IVF- so we've done 2 IUI's and will probably do at least 2 or 3 more before thinking about IVF. We talked to our RE about the insurance and she is on board with the situation- even though I know our success with IVF would be a lot higher, I'd rather try injectibles+IUI first. She said since I'm 28, she thinks it's OK to wait a few more cycles before moving to IVF.

After 2 1/2 years TTC, 3 IUI's, endo, and a lap, a surprise BFP brought us Alexandra Marie!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagekaterena:
    Honestly?  I would move on to IVF as soon as you can afford it.  The success rates are just so much better than IVF.  Good luck!

this, good luck hun 

::PAIF/SAIF Welcome::

TTC since July 2008
    IUI 1,2,3 BFN
    IVF #1 C/P, FET 1,2,3 BFN
    IVF#2 BFP

it's a girl!!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"