Stay at Home Moms
Options

Vacations are stressful!

Ugh, between looking for hotels in Boston and not really knowing the area at all, and trying to find a beach place to rent in Maine that has owners who seem welcoming and competent, this is stressful!  If any of you have rented a beach place before, how on earth do you know you've made the right decision?  I keep second guessing myself.  I can't stop looking because I keep thinking there is something better, I just haven't found.  I'm so happy that we will get to take a vacation this year, but the hours I am spending researching it are a bit excessive.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Vacations are stressful!

• Options

Hi!  I am from Maine, and have spent a LOT of time in Boston.  I'm about to get off the computer, but if you have any questions, PM me and I'll try to answer.

I am the same way. I research WAY too much before making my vacation plans, but at least you know you've really considered everything!

• Options

We almost always rent a vaca home when we travel because it sometimes is cheaper than a hotel (as we always get a two bedroom suit bc DS does not sleep with us and we don't do it even on vaca or trips). We travel a lot because DH's family is all over including his elderly father in FL.

I first seek out a professional vaca rental company. If one doesn't seem to exist or doesn't have what we are looking for I turn to VRBO.

You never know you've made the 'right' decision on until you do it - it's part of the adventure ha. I try to really examine the pictures - not what is in the foreground as much as the background. Up to this point with a dozen or so house rentals I have had great success.I ask for additional pictures or newer pictures.

Here is generally my starter/general questions if they might help you at all:

1. How recent are the photographs in the ad, do you have additional or newer pictures?

2. Cleaning: How often is the home cleaned; is the cleaning a traditional weekly cleaning or a deep clean between guests; how frequently are the carpets and fabric furniture deep cleaned; if you allow pets - how do you control flea and other bug infestations; do you regularly check for evidence of bed-bugs - have you had an infestation of bed bugs.

3. Clarification about bedrooms and bed sizes (king/queen etc)

4. Are there any businesses, attractions, train tracks, airports or other noticeable noise issues?

5. What does the listed rate include (tax, cleaning, deposit, etc)

6. Are all appliances in working order and available to renters (I've heard of people getting to vaca houses and not being allowed access to laundry room)

7. How much personal belongings are at the property in terms of toiletries, clothing in dressers/closets, etc (my last rental house was beautiful but I felt like I kicked someone out - the dressers all had clothing in them, there was personal effects all over the house - it just felt weird so this is now a question I ask)

8. is the home under contract with a local pest company 

9. Clarification about other amenities (pool, sat/cable system, etc)

10. Clarification about location (I try to get an exact address from them or cross intersection and then googlemap it to see it on satellite to see if anything odd stands out about location as well as how easily accessible is to 'whatever')

When they reply, I always thank them for their time and tell them that we are still reviewing homes and hope to make a decision soon.

The next email or phone call, if I don't have any other general questions about the property is  NEGOTIATIONS! The list price is just that, I usually get about 20-30% off of that price. 

Oh also, if you need baby furniture and stuff (like high chairs, toys, etc), most major cities or vaca areas have rental companies for vacationers. Something like 5 dollars a day for this or that. They deliver and pick up. Usually the owner or manager works directly with the rental company for me and arranged for a drop off and pick up date. 

Good luck! All the hard work will be work it when you are relaxing on your vaca! 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I live just outside of Boston and lived in the city for over 5 years.  I would be happy to help you find a hotel if you just let me know your budget and needs.  If you want to email me too that would be fine:  aprilsfools at hotmail.com

As for Maine, we are renting there this year for the first time (usually go to the cape) and I am so excited.  We decided to head up to the Bar Harbor area and found a place through this site:

https://www.barharboracadiacottagerentals.com/

The owner has been awesome, so I am feeling confident about the place.  

GL

Lilypie - (ZESJ)Lilypie - (QAi1)

• Options
    imagejacksjerseygirl:

We almost always rent a vaca home when we travel because it sometimes is cheaper than a hotel (as we always get a two bedroom suit bc DS does not sleep with us and we don't do it even on vaca or trips). We travel a lot because DH's family is all over including his elderly father in FL.

I first seek out a professional vaca rental company. If one doesn't seem to exist or doesn't have what we are looking for I turn to VRBO.

You never know you've made the 'right' decision on until you do it - it's part of the adventure ha. I try to really examine the pictures - not what is in the foreground as much as the background. Up to this point with a dozen or so house rentals I have had great success.I ask for additional pictures or newer pictures.

Here is generally my starter/general questions if they might help you at all:

1. How recent are the photographs in the ad, do you have additional or newer pictures?

2. Cleaning: How often is the home cleaned; is the cleaning a traditional weekly cleaning or a deep clean between guests; how frequently are the carpets and fabric furniture deep cleaned; if you allow pets - how do you control flea and other bug infestations; do you regularly check for evidence of bed-bugs - have you had an infestation of bed bugs.

3. Clarification about bedrooms and bed sizes (king/queen etc)

4. Are there any businesses, attractions, train tracks, airports or other noticeable noise issues?

5. What does the listed rate include (tax, cleaning, deposit, etc)

6. Are all appliances in working order and available to renters (I've heard of people getting to vaca houses and not being allowed access to laundry room)

7. How much personal belongings are at the property in terms of toiletries, clothing in dressers/closets, etc (my last rental house was beautiful but I felt like I kicked someone out - the dressers all had clothing in them, there was personal effects all over the house - it just felt weird so this is now a question I ask)

8. is the home under contract with a local pest company 

9. Clarification about other amenities (pool, sat/cable system, etc)

10. Clarification about location (I try to get an exact address from them or cross intersection and then googlemap it to see it on satellite to see if anything odd stands out about location as well as how easily accessible is to 'whatever')

When they reply, I always thank them for their time and tell them that we are still reviewing homes and hope to make a decision soon.

The next email or phone call, if I don't have any other general questions about the property is  NEGOTIATIONS! The list price is just that, I usually get about 20-30% off of that price. 

Oh also, if you need baby furniture and stuff (like high chairs, toys, etc), most major cities or vaca areas have rental companies for vacationers. Something like 5 dollars a day for this or that. They deliver and pick up. Usually the owner or manager works directly with the rental company for me and arranged for a drop off and pick up date. 

Good luck! All the hard work will be work it when you are relaxing on your vaca! 

This is awesome. 

Lilypie - (ZESJ)Lilypie - (QAi1)

• Options

Ok, so as far as places in Maine, there are three vacation units that I am stuck on.  Maybe you can help me decide!

We have a service for a deceased family member which is the whole reason we will be going in the first place, we are just taking the opportunity to make a vacation of it. 

Place 1:  Newly remodeled 2 bedroom cottage.  About 5 minutes from the beach but in a town with lots of quaint shops, restaurants, etc. within walking distance.  Others will be staying in this same area.

Place 2:  Two bedroom ground floor condo unit.  Literally 50 feet from the sand.  About a 4 minute walk from the pier in this town.  Not as modern, but looks clean and well maintained.  Great reviews from people who have stayed there.  This is about 25 minutes from where others will be staying, but that doesn't bother me because I want this to be our vacation, not us trying to keep up with them (dh agrees).

Place 3: Brand new one bedroom condo.  Bedroom has two queen sized beds which may be ideal because we are not sure if ds will sleep in his own room or ours.  On a property with a pool as well.  Private deck.  About 5 minutes from beach, within walking distance of many other things in town.  Also in the same town that others will be staying in.

All are within $30 of each other.  With place 1 we would have one extra night.  All provide linens, we need to bring towels. They each have different things that we want.  We can't find that "one place" within our budget so something will have to give.  I just don't know what I want to budge on!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"