Success after IF

Is your kiddo on a nebulizer?

Just wondering what other experiences are.

Jacob had a nasty cold with wheezing/coughing about 2 weeks ago.  I took him in and the doc put him on a nebulizer.  He takes Albuterol 3 times a day and Pulmicort 2 times a day.  Once he's finished coughing, we can stop the Albuterol, but she said that we might be on the Pulmicort for the rest of the winter!  Ugh!

Anyway, he wasn't coughing that much/if at all over the weekend, so I tried to do less Albuterol today and he was hacking up a lung at dinner.  But he's been on it for 2 weeks!

Anyone else have a LO on a nebulizer?  How long?  How many times a day?

The good thing is that since he has to do it so often now, he actually asks for it.  He sits in Mommy and Daddy's bed, holds the mask over his nose and mouth and watches Elmo's World.  (Maybe he's just asking for it so he can watch TV!  haha)

Allison
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Is your kiddo on a nebulizer?

• Cora has been on one for a while.  She has to do the pulmacort for the entire winter, and add xopenex (Albuterol) when we can hear "junk" in her lungs, or if she gets sick.

We use the P 3 times a day, but when we add the X - it is every 3-4 hours.

She hates hates hates it.  Has been on it since about 8 months old and it is just slightly better.  She is better for my husband than she is for me.

She will probably be on it until March or so.  It seems like everytime we stop - within a week or two she sounds like a 3 pack a day smoker.

Good Luck to you, at least he sits for you - which is a huge help

• Nolan is on his "mr. Neb" Ventolin (albuterol) three times a day, and steroid twice (like pulmacort) I am convinced a rough go with RSV as an infant caused some damage to his lungs. He now has Reactive Airway Disease, which is asthma before they diagnose it. 

He FIGHTS his neb tooth and nail. He is getting a little better, but hates it. Not sure why, because this is his third winter on it. 

Hang in there, and we have found that sometimes the steroids amp him up. Our Dr. has had us give him benedryl at night at times because he is unable to wind down. I know that the albuterol will do it too, but the steroids will mess with him more. 

• Loading the player...
  • Yep.  Jude was hospitalized for five days last February at 9 months due to severe broncholitis from RSV.  Because he goes to daycare, he is constantly coming down with respiratory infections and the pedi said that because there was some lung damage done with the RSV, he is more susceptible.  So, from about September until spring, Jude gets twice daily Pulmicort inhalation treatments.  I had major concerns about a daily steroid, but the pedi compared it to a steroid cream you put on the skin but on the lungs rather than a systematic steroid.  Way less side effects and concerns.  Just make sure to always encourage your DS to drink some water afterwards as thrush in the mouth is the biggest side effect (which we have not experienced at all).  Jude has been pretty sick twice this year and his most recent, which we think was RSV again, his oxygen saturation levels went down to 92, and hospitalization is 90 or below.  But, I really think it was the daily Pulmicort that helped to suppress everything and allow him to recover without having to do anything else.  We have found that Albuterol really doesn't seem to help Jude much.  I've heard from docs that Albuterol seems to help about 50% of LOs with susceptibility to lung infections.  But, we always have some on hand and I'll administer it as needed.  GL and I hope he gets better soon!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Everytime Fenton gets sick he goes back on the nebulizer, depending on how severe the infection really dictates how many times a day.  Generally though it is no more than 3 times a day.

The last time he got sick he was on the neb for 4 weeks. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My son started Albuterol for a cough/wheeze that wouldn't go away when he was around 4 months old.  The Albuterol didn't do the job so we switched to Pulmicort and used Albuterol as needed.  That worked and we were told to keep him on it until the first freeze (his pedi was treating it as seasonal allergies).  Now he has to use Albuterol pretty much anytime he gets a cough because it doesn't go away on his own and just settles in his chest.  He hasn't had a problem with ongoing wheezing again, but I think if he does she'll be refering us to a pulminologist.  I think my son is going to be diagnosed with asthma at some point, but they said they won't call it asthma in a child under the age of 2.  That's awesome that your son does so well with it.  My son freaks out when we use the nebulizer on him (he just got off it again a few days ago and this was the worst round yet).

It took 3 1/2 long years, but we finally got our little miracle!
    IVF #1 - BFP (6dt)
    Unassisted Pregnancy #2 - lost at 15w6d due to T21, severe heart defects, and fetal hydrops

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"