Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

Table food v. Purees, your opinion please!

Ethan never really got into purees. We basically had to force him him, then throw out half an eaten container after the 2-3 day limit. He was really hungry tonight though so I thought what the heck and gave him a stage 2 apple/banana/pear, and he ate the entire thing. I was in shock! We've just been giving him table food for the past 2 months or so, but he doesn't eat much of them. It is more of a snack, not a meal. And mostly things like nutragrain bar, a pancake, or mac and cheese. Not nearly enough fruits or veggies.

Should I try out the stage 3 food to see if he'll eat more of it or just stick with the table food knowing he doesn't eat as much? I almost feel like doing the stage 3 would be going backwards. What do you think?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Table food v. Purees, your opinion please!

• Options
    I say grab the bull by the horns and feed him whatever he will eat! Theres nothing wrong with purees, even though I kwym about feeling like you're going backwards.
  • Options
    That was defenitely my other feeling, I might as well get more food into him if he'll eat it that way. I think I will purchase some stage 3 options and see if he likes those too. That will have to wait until the massive blizzard decides to leave Kansas though!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DD eats everything we do, but I still will give her an occasional puree fruit or veggie just to make sure she is getting enough servings per day... I don't think its going backwards, but I'd offer the table food first... gl!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie - (HKbp)Lilypie - (WKbt)
     Lilypie - (2DqE)  Lilypie - (1KYE)
    Lilypie - (RlhZ)Lilypie - (1CAm)
  • Options
    Currently, DS will only eat purees which he wouldn't dream of touching when we started solids at 6 months. Whatever- I feed him whatever he'll eat which isn't much these days!
  • Options
    Thanks! That is a good plan, offer the table food first and then the puree to round it off. I like it.
  • Options
    DD went through a phase where she refused to eat puress so we switched strictly to table foods.  Now that she's been doing that for a while, DC will sometimes give her purees and she eats them.  It may have just been a stage to reject the purees but now that he's over it he'll eat them again.
  • Options
    Offer table food first, it's much higher in calories!  Have you tried making any of your own purees?  It doesn't have to be complicated.  Mash banana and avocado together.  Bake sliced apples and sweet potato, steamed carrots or cooked carrots from a roast or cooked with soup, ect.  I have a somewhat picky eater who wouldn't touch jarred food but loves anything homemade!  I've tried both myself and the jarred veggies are quite unappealing!
    DD(7), DS(4.5), DS(2.5), DS(baby)
  • Options
    DD has been solely on table foods for about a month, but if I see that she is not really loving what I put on her tray and picking at it, I will give her a jar of fruit or veggie just to make sure she is not leaving the table hungry.
  • Options
    i don't see any reason why you couldn't do both.  landon doesn't quite have the hang of table food yet so it is more of a "snack" for him but we do purees regularly, so he gets in his fruits and veggies.  i don't think it's going backwards at this point. 
  • Options
    We don't do purees at all any more. They don't NEED to solids now. Its mostly practice, so I don't stress about if she gets enough. But if you are stressed about it, I don't think its bad to offer both.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"