Nurseries and Baby Gear

Register for only infant stuff?

MH & I braved our first trip to Babies R Us to start looking at & learning about carseats and strollers.  I think I want to get a Snap N Go system (lightweight is very important to me!) which we will probably register for.

But in a year we're going to need a bigger carseat and a regular umbrella (or jogging) stroller.  Do people typically register for stuff you need after the infant stage?  I don't mean it to sound greedy "gimmee gifts" cause that's not the case at all...I truly just don't know the protocol!  It seems easier to just focus on what we need now, and then a year from now research & purchase on our own what we want then.  Is that standard practice?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Register for only infant stuff?

• I wouldn't register for a convertible unless everything on your registry is taken and you need to add more stuff. 

Definitely register for a jogging stroller if you want one.  LO can ride in it well before a year.  Usually they just need to have good head control.  (around 4 months) Although check the manufacturer recommendations for your particular model.

DD's Food Allergies: Peanuts and Rice, Outgrown Dairy!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

8/09 Dx PCOS & Hashimoto's
    BFP #2 12/13/11. Missed M/C at 11w5d, measured 8w6d. D&C 2/1/12
    Never in my arms, but always in my heart.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I registered for everything I would need the first year.  IMO a convertible is totally acceptable because most of them can be used from infant stage.  Besides, my infant seat only goes up to 20 lbs, and some babies get to that weight faster than you would think!
  • Loading the player...
  • I'd say it depends on what it is. I think with a stroller it's not big deal because most strollers can hold, or be adapted to hold an infant car seat anyway so no one would think twice about it. I think price is more the issue than when the items will be used. For instance, we are planning on buying the furniture, a stroller (becuase the one we want is expensive), and all big items ourselves and we will only register for a few things in the $200 range (like a car seat, pack and play and other necesseties that people expect to be on a registry).

I don't think it would necessarily be bad to register for a convertible car seat as well as the infant seat because they can be used for newborns anyway (well most can, you'll have to check your model) so people won't know if you'll use it right away or not. : )

• klvklv member
    Register for stuff you will need in the first 6 months.  We put stuff like baby spoons, larger onesies and an umbrella stroller.  I wouldnt put a convertable seat or a toddler bed on there but I think things like high chairs, baby gates and safety equipment (cabinet latches, outlet covers ect)  is acceptable.  Obviously baby related but not something you will use for the first few months.
  • I registered for convertible car seats and a high chair, but it was mostly because we had bought our own travel system and all of the bedding. Even with these items, we only have about 40 things on the registry.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I would not register for a convertible seat. Why? Say you get one for your shower. The manufactured date could be months (or even a year) before that. You probably won't use it until your LO is at least 6 months old (this is if you go with a bigger infant seat and NOT the regular Snugride). So, if you use it around 6 months, then you have already wasted 1+ years off of the life of the seat.

Most seats expire in 6 years. The new Britax expire in 7 years. You are getting more bang for your buck by waiting on the convertible. Plus, If you buy it around 1 year (with a newer date), and your child uses it for 3-4 years, then you would still have some time left for the next baby.  If you have another one before then.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I plan to register for a mix of things due to friends' input -- my cousin said she wished she had registered for the 2nd carseat the baby would need so we plan to do this. Also, I'll probably have 3 showers from what my family, H's family & friends here have said, so need options for people especially as w/ my family, they tend to go in on bigger gifts.

We purchased our crib, dresser/changer and b/c of Amazon gc, plan to buy our highchair now b/c of the $44 price difference from BRU on the model we want.  We also are borrowing a few items from friends & buying a few used items from friends & hopefully we'll find a BOB Revolution on CL, which we'll purchase. 

Some people prefer to get items for when the baby is a little older - my mom was this way b/c she knew people get a ton of things for infant but not always for later on.

• don't register for the convertible car seat because you want the newest one possible because of the expiration dates (assuming you will want more kids in the future, then you maximize your ability to use the seat more than once).

but, do register for the next stroller, why not!  I was glad I went with the graco snap and go and now I am happy with the combi cosmo because it is also lightweight. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"