Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Did anyone try for a drug free childbirth here?

Hello! Sorry to intrude on the baby community - but I had a question only new moms could answer.

I was hoping to try having the baby without drug intervention but am skeptical of my ability to do so (could be the first sign it might not work right there!). Did any moms on here try out something like HypnoBirthing or other strategies and find that they needed drug intervention regardless? Or that it worked for them? Just curious about others experiences!

Re: Did anyone try for a drug free childbirth here?

• Well I wanted a drug free birth experience, but after 30 hours I ended up having a c-section (not because of the time), so clearly that plan didn't work and I ended up with drugs!
    image image image
  • I wanted a drug free birth, thats what i tried for but my induction turned into a c-section i ended up getting an epidural an hour before my c-section. I think if i would have been able to go into labor on my own that the contractions wouldnt have been so strong and so frequent, i couldve went without it but after 14 hours and knowing i had a long time to go i decided for the epiduaral and then to find out i needed a c-section because my lo wasnt going to fit and thats why i wasnty dialating past 4 cm. So i didnt get to experiance the drug free birth i wanted but every birth is different and every indivual is different.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • My heart was set on med free, but my water broke and after 26 hours of no progress, I ended up with a c section. I tried med free for 14 hours then they gave me pitocin, and I still didn't dilate, so I got the epi so they could crank up the pit, and so I could sleep and help my body relax, but it didn't work either way.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

TTC #2 since 8/2012
    Me:28 H:34
    Me: all tests normal!
    H:  Azoospermia (Sperm count zero).
    MFI Urologist all test normal.
    Biopsy Feb. 14

****EVERYONE WELCOME****
  • I wasn't decided either way.  I was going to go without until I thought I needed it.  I lasted 7 hours with contractions every couple of minutes then all the sudden the pain hit.  It took 30 minutes of the pain before I got my epi then another 7 hours until I started pushing.  I don't feel the drugs took anything away from my experience.  I was able to nap during the day once I got it.  I was so tired from pushing but completely alert when baby was born.

I say keep an open mind and try to go natural if that is what you want.  Do not feel discouraged if you end up wanting the drugs when the time comes.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• I also tried to go drug free. My water broke at home, but I did not start serious contractions till about 6 hours later while in the hospital. I labored for about 12 hours longer without drugs, I tried the birthing ball, rocking chair, walking. But when I had not got passed 4 cm after 18 hours, I was begging for the epidural. I really admire anyone who can do it, but I gave in. It allowed me to relax, and I was at 10cm just 2 hours later. Of course, then I pushed for almost 3 more hours - but finally DD arrived! I dont think I could have done it without the epidural.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Did I TRY for one, NO... did I have one, YEP!  My epidural didn't take.  I had two and the first didn't work then the second only numbed my legs.  It was very painful and I was in labor for 15 hours although it didnt start severely hurting until about 12 hours in.  I ended up having to push for 2.5 hours Indifferent it was hell and hurt so bad... however, I forgot it all the moment I saw her!  I think next time I will go all natural again!  If you REALLY want to do it... do it!  If not, there is NOTHING wrong with pain relief! 
  • I had to be induced, but I wanted to go med-free other than the Pitocin. Long story short, it did not work out. The pain was just too much for me to physically handle. I got stuck at 6 cm for a long time. Once I got the epidural, I knocked right out and woke up about ready to push.

TTC #2 since 09/2016
    BFP 11/29 - m/c @ 5w
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Yep, I had one.  Someone in my birthing class (Bradley method) had her baby before me and when I was talking to her, she had said once the pain gets to the point that you don't think you could do it anymore, that's the worst of it. She was right.  Once I felt like that, the pain stayed the same.

It's the most intense thing you will ever experience--I don't think you can grasp it until you go through it--but you can do it.  It's empowering and amazing!  Stay focused and have support during those contractions & you're good!

imagePregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yep, I wanted a med free birth and was successful.

I didn't take any classes or read any books, but educated myself on ways/positions to labor in to alleviate pain.  Laboring in bed is he!l, if I had stayed in bed I would never have made it med free.  I got in the bathtub, and that made all the difference for me.  It was wonderful.

Good luck! 

• I did but not on purpose. After an hour of being poked I said enough I'll deal with it. Once the pain gets bad like PP said it doesn't get any worse. I was in labor for 7 hours and only pushed 3 times. I've had meds with my first including an epi and nothing with my second and my second birth was a much better experience.
  • I fully intended on having drugs, however, that didn't happen.  I had contractions all day on Sunday, but they weren't bad at all. I went to sleep Sunday night and woke up about 2am with pretty bad contractions, I went to the hospital and was 8cm. When I got to the delivery room, my water broke as they were hooking up my IV and they checked me again and I was 10cm and ready to go, so there wasn't time for an epi. I started pushing right away and that felt better than the contractions I'd had for the hour or so leading up to that point. So my labor was pretty quick and I survived without drugs (though I would have taken them if I had the opportunity).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I told everyone who asked: "I'm hoping to use the least amount of additional interventions as I possibly can". I was able to labor at home until I was 7cm, progressed to 10cm 6 hours later in the hospital, pushed for 4 hours, and vaginally delivered C with vacuum assistance: no meds. My suggestions: WALKING, not laboring on my back (I took prenatal yoga and benefited from it), mediation and deep breathing techniques (I didn't use a program, just what I use in yoga), and focusing on one contraction at a time. Best part about med-free for me was actually pushing...it was such a relief to push through contractions rather than simply endure them. Oh, and the "ring of fire" is horrible, but very very short lived in the grand scheme. 

• I'd say if you really want a med free birth, then go in with that mindset. I was only focused on getting a med free birth and that's what I got. They shoved pitocin on me and while it was intense, I was able to get through it. It's really just a lot of pressure for one day or say. Take the contractions one at a time and walk around if you can. My hospital didn't let me walk around so I was stuck on the bed, and labor at home for as long as you can. I hate needles and DID not want an epidural, no matter how much pain there was, I just felt that I'd rather pain over the needles. No one in my family has ever gotten an epi so that normal for us. I didn't take any classes but I'd def recommend learning how to push, I pushed for two hours!!
  • I tried-I prepared myself by using hypnobabies self study kit. Overall, it helped me sleep VERY well right up until the end, helped me learn to breathe well, and the affirmations helped with my mindset going into labor. 

I started having weak contractions on New Year's Eve, they were regular but weak-then eventually spread out a bit but still kept coming. That went on for four days.

The night of the 4th day, my water broke and just gushed and gushed. We got to the hospital at midnight. I was already 4 cm. I went med free until after 8 AM-at that point, I had only progressed about 2 additional cm, so I was 5 and a half or 6. I had awful back labor the whole time, and  DS was not in a good position on my cervix at all. Given how he was positioned, my lack of progress, and the fact I had been up over 24 hours at this point-I knew I couldn't go all the way. I was falling asleep sitting up, so I couldn't physically get through the rest of labor without some more energy. So at 8 AM, I got an epi and pitocin. 

It was exactly what I needed. It allowed my body to relax enough . Within about 3 hours, I was fully dilated.  I pushed for about 30 minutes, and DS was born right after noon. 

Do whatever you feel is right-going natural is do able with the right circumstances. But my advice is to be flexible, because you never know what will happen in labor that may be out of your control.  Personally, even though I didn't want it to begin with, I had a very positive epidural experience. And in all likelihood, I would want one again.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • i didnt have any pain meds but did have to be induced with pitocin due to high blood pressure. i was also given magnisium to try to get my blood pressure down because it stayed high the whole time.  i hadnt taken any classes.  i decided i wanted to go med free but if it came to the point that i absolutly wanted an epi i would get one.  i labored for 7 hours with contractions a few minutes apart.  i got through it by staying calm.  i just kept telling myself i can do this and this pain will not last forever and just keep breathing.  my mom and DH were in the room and were amazed at how quiet i was through the whole thing.  i dont think i said one word.
  • I had med free births with both girls. With DD1 it was unplanned. I was only at the hospital 4 hours before she was born. I went from 4cm to 9cm in less than 2 hours and didn't have time for an epi. The nurse did offer me Stadol but I declined since I had already made it that far.

With DD2 I planned on having a med free birth. I didn't use Hypnobirthing or the Bradley Method or anything. I did a lot of breathing with my eyes closed during contractions and a lot of swaying.  Got to the hospital at 9:30am and she was born at 4:59pm. My MW was talking about giving me pitocin if my contractions didn't pick up but my nurse encouraged trying nipple stimulation. It worked like a charm! 15 minutes of that and my contractions got super strong and much close together. I was so glad that I avoided having to get pitocin since I'd heard it makes contractions incredibly painful.

I had great recovery experiences with both girls. I was able to be a bridesmaid in my best friends wedding 7 days after DD1. I felt pretty much back to myself after a week both times. 

ETA: I labored in the tub when I hit 6cm with DD2. it felt amazing and helped so much with the contractions. I ended up having her in the water. 

IMG_5889 Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I planned for a med-free birth and am really happy that I got one. I did get a local shot of Lidocaine right as LO was crowning, but other than that I had 14 hours of unmedicated labor. I didn't use any methods, but I read a TON beforehand, and I know that the knowledge of what to expect really helped me. I also had great support from my DH, my mom, and one of my friends. I couldn't handle the pain when I was on my back in the bed, but standing or kneeling it was manageable. It is an incredibly intense experience, but if I have another baby, I plan to try for a natural birth again.

The ladies over at the natural birth board were really helpful, so you might post over there as well. 

• I had my heart set on a water birth but that did not happen.  I had been having contractions for about 14 hours that were 5-7 minuets apart then 2 minuets apart for another 7 hours and would not go past 5cm.  I hadn't slept in 2 days and was exhausted so my body couldn't relax and do its job between contractions.  I caved and got the epi, 3 hours later and only 34 minuets of pushing, I had my little one!  In the end I was glad I got the epi because it helped me relax which helped things progress.  I am going to try for the water birth again with the next one though Big Smile
  • I had a drug-free (but not quite intervention-free) delivery.

We took hypnobirthing classes before hand, but honestly didn't practice it as much as we should've due to life getting in the way.

My mindset the entire pregnancy was that I wanted to go med-free, that I felt confident my body could and would handle it (I'm built similar to my mom, who delivered me (10 lbs) and my brother (12 lbs) naturally) but if I needed drugs, they'd be there.

Long story short, my water broke and I was only in labor for about 14 hours, and progressed so quickly that I really only used the breathing techniques from hypnobirthing.  My contractions were largely back labor and probably had about 7 hrs from when I felt those to when I delivered, and I only pushed for about a half an hour.  I really didn't have a chance for an epidural, as I was over 9 cm when we got to the hospital, but did have sterile water injected to help with the pain of back labor, though the baby turned & was delivered soon after the injection.

It's really not the delivery I had expected (not that I'm complaining) so I don't know what it would've been like had I been at the hospital for hours on end. The pain was pretty bad, to be sure, but I just tried not to focus on it and definitely think I could go med-free again.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I went in with both options open. The end the pain was so bad that I had to ask for an epi but I was already ten centimeters so I had to tough it out. :)
  • I tried!  I went in to be induced and lasted about 20 hours of labor before I asked for the drugs.  Due to the induction, I had to stay in bed the whole time on monitors.  I had stadol for a few hours (NOT a good drug; I would tell everyone to avoid this one!) and then an epidural for the last 4 or 5 hours.  Eventually, I had to have a csection, but if I were to do it over, I would go for that epi right off!  Best drug on the planet!!  I'm so impressed by people who can do it all natural...I don't think I would have made it the whole 26 hours!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageharleyjo:

Yep, I wanted a med free birth and was successful.

I didn't take any classes or read any books, but educated myself on ways/positions to labor in to alleviate pain.  Laboring in bed is he!l, if I had stayed in bed I would never have made it med free.  I got in the bathtub, and that made all the difference for me.  It was wonderful.

Good luck! 

I did a drug free birth as well & it was wonderful.  I have nothing negative to say.  The best advice I can give- GET IN THE BATHTUB!!!  I hardly felt contractions. 

DH & I used a hypnobirthing book like a bible in my last trimester. 

• I had a homebirth.  It was amaing, and way better than the labour/delivery I had with #1 when I had an epi.  Recovery was way better/easier this time too.
  • I didn't take any classes-just read about things like breathing, positions, etc.  I had a homebirth though, so drugs weren't an option.  If I were in a hospital I think I'd have asked for drugs after about 15 hours of labor-especially if I knew I had another 10 hours to go.
  • Both of my deliveries were epidural free. DD1 was a pitocin induction due to a slow leak. I did get narcotics during labor to take off the edge. From start to finish...3 hours, 46 minutes. DD2 was completely natural because we got to the hospital too late. I still wanted narcotics, but they said no. :-( I delivered her within 42 minutes of our arrival. Less than 7 hours of labor, just the last three with bad contractions. I didn't take any classes, just didn't like the idea of an epidural. It helped that I had short labor and deliveries with them. :-)
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Thank you all for sharing your stories/experiences! It's so helpful to hear.
  • I had a birth plan and was pretty set upon going fully med free. However, when I went to the hospital, I was dilated 5cm and my blood pressure was very high. I didn't progress overnight and my blood pressure stabilized as long as I was laying down. So my OB induced me by breaking my water and starting pitocin. This was at 7:15am and I had her at 11:48am. I didn't have an epidural. That being said, if I would have labored longer, I think I would have totally caved and gotten one! I think pitocin really does increase the intensity of contractions! My advice....go in with a plan....but expect that plan to change. Good luck!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I did Hypnobirthing and delivered with minimal intervention and no drugs at all at 38 weeks(DS wanted to be born in 2010).  I had the midwife break my water when I was 9 1/2cm bc the pressure was really intense with the bag pushing on me (the only intervention I had).  Other then that, Hypnobirthing was amazing.  There were times that I almost fell asleep during labor at the hospital and the nurses were so freaked out.  Smile I didn't even go to the hospital until I was already 8cm bc I wasn't really in pain.  I really bought into the idea of "mind over matter" and that made all the difference!  It was only hard at the end when it was time to push bc I lost my concentration.  HTH!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I wanted to have a natural birth with DD, but as I've never been in labor before, I wasn't going to set my heart on it. In the end, we went into thinking 'yeah, lets give this med-free thing a try, but if it's too much, then oh well'. I ended up having a fairly quick labor and it made my contractions exceptionally painful (ever heard of hip labor? Yeah-me neither...hurts like a biotch!) Just remember that no one gets a blue ribbon for doing it without meds so don't beat yourself up about it.
  • I didn't try for one but I got one! My epi never took and LO was born before the doc. Could give me another one! I thought it was going to be soooo much worse. The contractions are the bad part, I thought they hurt more than the actual birthing part!
    DD #1 07/02/2003 DD #2 11/27/2010
  • I had a med free birth. 

I used Bradley but next time around I'll try to use Hypnobirthing or Hypnobabies. 

Also, I couldnt't have done it without my doula.

H hasn't ever seen a woman in labor or (obviously) been through labor hiself so he just wasn't help. Emotional support yes, help no.

I think if nothing else, get a doula. IMO.  

• I was dead set on med-free birth but it didn't work out for me.  I prepared a lot with books and classes.  I ended up being induced due to complications.  I dealt with the pitocin contractions for almost a full day but around hour 20 I was still at 5 cm so I decided to get the meds when they started talking about a c-section.  Apparently this was enough to relax me to dilate more.  I had DS 7 hours later (15 hours after having my water broken).  However, I only pushed for 15 minutes.
  • imagekheel1205:

I had to be induced, but I wanted to go med-free other than the Pitocin. Long story short, it did not work out. The pain was just too much for me to physically handle. I got stuck at 6 cm for a long time. Once I got the epidural, I knocked right out and woke up about ready to push.

Pretty much the same thing happend to me, but I did end up dilating fully when I got to RIGHT before pushing the pain was just too intense and I gave in and got some stadol. Honestly If i hadn't I thought I was going to pass out from the pain, Screw pitocin.... Ugh I bet if I didn't have to be induced I could have handled it, but that stuff seemed to be the worst for me! I'm glad to know it can help others out with stalled labor etc, but for me, I believe it's the reason I wasn't able to go totally med free. Oh well I didn't get an epi so I am damn proud of myself! =D

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
    By lilenatalem at 2012-01-28 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"