Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Who gets more sleep- You or DH?

I am SO sleep deprived-  I finally understand the whole concept of "too tired to sleep"!  Just having to be alert for LOs cries so that DH can get a full nights worth of sleep is exhausting (I am a light sleeper).  He doesn't seem to understand that even though I "slept", I am always on alert for baby.  Not true restorative sleep for me.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Who gets more sleep- You or DH?

• I know how you feel! DH gets soooooo much more sleep than I do. He tells me that I can sleep when LO takes naps but her naps are only an hour long and does he want clean clothes? Or dinner? Silly men!
    DD #1 07/02/2003 DD #2 11/27/2010
  • Generally speaking, DH because he has to get up and go to work right now, plus I have to wake up to feed LO. But he is wonderful and let's me get solid chunks of sleep on his days off (I pump and DH will bottle feed). 
  • Loading the player...
  • Right now its me, hubby is a saint. He's been taking care of the baby alot more then me so I can sleep between pumping. He's so wonderful. I've been trying to take over at night though since he's due back at work on thursday and he really needs to catch up on his sleep in the next two days. Napping with him during the day is helping but He needs to sleep through the night tonight and tomorrow so he's not all messed up during the day on thrusday.
    Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
    By lilenatalem at 2012-01-28 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Ugh... DH definately gets more sleep.  I sleep downstairs with the baby during the week so DH can be well-rested for work.  On the weekends, DS offers to get up in the night, but he always sleeps through LOs cries!  DH thinks I can nap when LO naps, but that's the only time I have to take a shower and try to tidy up the house.  He seems really surprised that I'm so tired.
  • I think it's equal. I go to bed earlier and wake up with DS however many times per night. DH goes to bed later and wakes up earlier because he works 2 jobs.
    Mom to J (10), L (4), and baby #3 arriving in July of 2015
  • I def. get more sleep than DH.  I am up with baby during the night,and when I'm asleep I'm never truly deeply asleep anymore - always alert for baby.

The whole 'nap when they nap' thing makes me laugh.. yeah right.  I haven't gotten the hang of that one yet.

• I try to sleep 7:30 or 8 until midnight.  Hubby watches LO so I can get uninterrupted sleep.  At midnight, I resume baby duty, and he gets uninterrupted sleep.  Hubby is up around 7:30 on work days. 

I sleep til about 2:30am when he is off the next morning.

We have a twin bed in LO's room for whomever is on baby duty that night.

Om nom nom
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think I'm winning the sleep race. DH is a terrible sleeper, so until I have to go back to work (or she stops eating at 3-4am) I'm sleeping in DD's room to try and let him sleep. But if I even need to walk across the hall the the bathroom it will wake him up and he won't/can't go back to sleep. He'll be up at 3am and just go to work. Even though I'm up with DD for at least an hour (like right now!). I can get another good 2 hours once she falls asleep again.
     Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • imagemrschristamiller:
    Ugh... DH definately gets more sleep.  I sleep downstairs with the baby during the week so DH can be well-rested for work.  On the weekends, DS offers to get up in the night, but he always sleeps through LOs cries!  DH thinks I can nap when LO naps, but that's the only time I have to take a shower and try to tidy up the house.  He seems really surprised that I'm so tired.

all of this.  It amazes me how clueless they really are. FI siad just tonight when I complained how tired I was that "all you have to do is take care of him, its not hard." Um really?!? He only watches LO in the evenings when LO's sleeping, he has noooooo clue

• My DH is a saint. He got home from work last night at 10, had to get up to go back at 5am, and stayed up all night with my older LO who has a stomach bug and was up all night.I didnt even realize he was up because he had gotten up so quickly to take care of him. I asked why he didnt let me get up or wake me up to take care of him and he said I have a tough job taking care of 2 kids and I needed the rest so he let me sleep.

I would say I get more sleep than he does. He helps a ton.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DH for sure! but if you ask him he will say its even!
  • DH definitely gets more sleep and better sleep too!  He's back to work so I take care of DD's night feedings.  Our son also wakes in the middle of the night and only wants DH, so he does get up to take care of our son...I'm secretly glad he doesn't want me, otherwise I'd get even less sleep!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageKristine11:

imagemrschristamiller:
    Ugh... DH definately gets more sleep.  I sleep downstairs with the baby during the week so DH can be well-rested for work.  On the weekends, DS offers to get up in the night, but he always sleeps through LOs cries!  DH thinks I can nap when LO naps, but that's the only time I have to take a shower and try to tidy up the house.  He seems really surprised that I'm so tired.

all of this.  It amazes me how clueless they really are. FI siad just tonight when I complained how tired I was that "all you have to do is take care of him, its not hard." Um really?!? He only watches LO in the evenings when LO's sleeping, he has noooooo clue

This exactly. But if DH ever told me "all" I do is take care of DS, and that it isn't hard, he'd be in big trouble. Even though I'm a SAHM and he goes to work every day, he is constantly telling me I have the harder job and that he doesn't know how I do it. I don't even care if he's blowing smoke up my a$$, it's nice to hear. Big Smile

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think we actually do get about the same. I go to bed earlier and get up earlier.

Somehow with all the fighting and stuff that had been going on I convinced him to get up for her night feeding. So I think I actually sleep better than he does. I'm one lucky lady when it comes to Q's night feeding

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Depends on the day... DH and I take shifts. Some days he'll take care of the baby longer to let me get some more sleep (he has the night shift; the one where LO wants to eat every hour on the dot...), but most days I'd say he does. He can get 8 uninterrupted hours at a time and I can't. (I BF and pump.)
  • H actually had the nerve to say to me last week that he got too much sleep one night.  Meanwhile, between the baby, the older boys, and the pets, I do well to get an hour or two at a time.  Oh, plus I have had a migraine for 6 days now that's keeping me up at night also.  Good times.
            image image  image 
    To be loved, and to be in love
  • imageakpisors:
    I know how you feel! DH gets soooooo much more sleep than I do. He tells me that I can sleep when LO takes naps but her naps are only an hour long and does he want clean clothes? Or dinner? Silly men!

DH says this too. Any time I ask for help in the night his response is "I have to get up and go to work you get to hang out around the house all day! Take naps whenever you want!" I wish that was my life! Between taking care of the baby, two five year olds, keeping the house clean, laundry, running errands and dinner cooked I'm lucky if I get a shower!  

• imageKC_13:

My DH is a saint. He got home from work last night at 10, had to get up to go back at 5am, and stayed up all night with my older LO who has a stomach bug and was up all night.I didnt even realize he was up because he had gotten up so quickly to take care of him. I asked why he didnt let me get up or wake me up to take care of him and he said I have a tough job taking care of 2 kids and I needed the rest so he let me sleep.

Where can I get one of those?

• imagemrschristamiller:
    imageKC_13:

My DH is a saint. He got home from work last night at 10, had to get up to go back at 5am, and stayed up all night with my older LO who has a stomach bug and was up all night.I didnt even realize he was up because he had gotten up so quickly to take care of him. I asked why he didnt let me get up or wake me up to take care of him and he said I have a tough job taking care of 2 kids and I needed the rest so he let me sleep.

Me too! Me too! DH sleeps about double what I do. Even on the weekends he never offers to get up with DS. Boo. But now that I am EPing and he doesn't work on the weekends he has no excuse!!! 

• imageKatN1411:
    imagemrschristamiller:
    imageKC_13:

Me too! Me too! DH sleeps about double what I do. Even on the weekends he never offers to get up with DS. Boo. But now that I am EPing and he doesn't work on the weekends he has no excuse!!! 

My secret is that I work a part time job so DH has been watching DS for 8 hours a week alone since he was 2 months old (I'm not back to work yet, so he has yet to watch both alone). He learned first hand that it's not an easy job! I can't tell you the number of times DH called and asked if I could leave early since DS was fussy and he couldnt fix him. lol!

• DH gets more sleep at night, but then he takes both girls in the morning so I can get a couple extra hours in so it evens out. DD sleeps in our bed and usually wakes every 3-4 hours to nurse, then I have to burp her and clean her spit-up and change her diaper if she poops. I usually do this by myself, but sometimes DH will wake up and burp her or change a diaper. But I agree about the "rejuvenating sleep" thing- I don't sleep deeply at night because I'm always alert and conscious of where DD is, making sure she's breathing, etc. But once I get in my 2 hours in the morning I'm good. :)
    Anneliese Olive 11/5/09
    Hazel Dianna 1/8/11
    Luna Valentine 4/25/13

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"