Parenting

GHM, d&r, Ciarri. Shop, DM....

Did you guys have a hard time when #3 turned 1? Drew will be 1 in 8 days and I am having such a hard time with it. I know a lot has to do with having PPD in the beginning and missing out on the first half of his life, but I also wonder how much of it is him being the last. Tell me it's normal! 
{Ava 5.16.06} {Ella 12.29.07} {Drew 2.9.10}

Re: GHM, d&r, Ciarri. Shop, DM....

• (full disclosure....I cried on all 3 of my kids first birthday)

Yes..EVERYTHING was harder when #3 hit the milestone.  EVERYTHING!!! Even now, he's a BIG 3 1/2 and I carry him sometimes.....yep, I carry him and get the side eye from other mom's.  I don't mind bringing the stroller with him....and my girls were kicked out of the stroller and walking by  2 1/2, 3 for sure.

He's totally my baby.

• I'm nosing in.... ;) 

One was a big deal, IMO because of the 'last child' factor.  Also, right now is hard - this is the longest I've went not being preg in almost 5 years.  I'm ready to have another!   We're done, and I keep trying to remind myself that there are a lot of fun times to come.....without having to do so with babies/strollers/bottles.  Looking forward to the preschool/kids ages is what really helps. 

• Loading the player...
  • OMG. Definitely. It was awful. Like you, some of it was probably that I missed her first half of her life. Part of it was just that I'd never see a baby do these things again--first birthday, first milestones, etc.
  • I was okay the days leading up to, the day of, but the days after I was a mess. I think it had a lot to do with one of my close coworkers having her first baby (1/5). She went into labor 1/4 and was in labor nearly 20 hours.  It was all so exciting. Oh, and her belly pics!  My DS's birthday is 1/2.  For some reason the hardest part for me is knowing I will never be pregnant and go through L&D again. (Is that weird?)  Her newborn stories have me happily & permanently done : )   I also convinced myself that he is still a baby until he is walking.   Although I can't buy much more time on that one, in the last couple of days he went from steps to walking across the room and its becoming his primary mode of mobilization.  

DS2 also quit nursing during our Xmas trip.  I think the change of scenery through him off.  Oh how I miss that time with him.   He is happily content with a bottle now and shows no interest in a sippy (that means he is still a baby too ; ) 

Oh and I had a job interview during my funk and that was no good...but I was able to hold her sleeping NB will no "I NEED ANOTHER ONE!!"  

I made a montage of DS2's first year and DH said "why did you use all sad songs?  It should be happy and cherry, YAY, he's one."  But that is not at all how I felt.  It feels bittersweet.   I didn't miss the milestones through the year but maybe I should have slowed down and relished them more. I realized this when I started getting updates from MIL on her new husbands daughters girls (twins).  I didn't make a big deal about his weight, height and %s like a new mom did. Maybe I should have... Sigh, he'll forever be my baby though...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm with shop in saying every milestone has been totally bittersweet.  I did cry on his birthday but his birthday totally snuck up on me.  Between Christmas and a crazy January, it was here before I could blink.  That was good and bad.  Good because I couldn't dwell too much and bad because I felt like I missed more.  At the same time, the older he gets, the more sure I am that he's the last.  The three of them exhaust me and overwhelm me hourly.  I can't keep up and I'm so stressed out.  Beyond that, I'm ready to get on with our lives.  I'm excited to not worry about what if I'm PG next year or what am I going to do if I want to go away for a weekend without kids and I'm nursing.  I'm excited to start enjoying my family and watching the kids grow rather than being PG or having a newborn.  I don't have easy PGs emotionally and I like my sleep too much to love the newborn phase.  Right now, DS is trying to kill himself on an hourly basis so I'm too busy keeping track of him to be sad, but I guess I'm happy and sad about it.  I have found the meaning of bittersweet in a way I never understood before.
  • I cried at all the first birthdays but was a mess on Gracie's.  I'm a mess for all of her big milestones.  I was a mess filling out the kindergarten paper work.  (((hugs))) 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"