Attachment Parenting

Food Sensitivity Check In

This check in is for mamas who have had to restrict their diet due to food sensitivities in their LOs or themselves.

The theme for this week is time saving tips. Avoiding allergens often means cooking from scratch. How do you save time?

Any random tips, vents, etc. are also welcome.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Food Sensitivity Check In

• I cook a lot of chicken and use it in everything through out the week. I also plan every meal on Sunday and stick with it. Eating out is not even an option anymore since every time we do, DD reacts to something the next day. Also, I make a lot of soups in my slow cooker and I make a ton. That way I have lunch the next day and also some frozen for those times I don't feel like cooking.
  • We cook a lot of vegetarian meals in big batches so we can eat 2-3 dinners & 2-3 lunches out of one batch. Then we just alternate nights. We also make up big batches of things like chickpeas (we save $$ buying in the bulk section instead of canned, plus no BPA from can leachings) and spaghetti sauce & freeze it in Ball canning jars.

DH or I will often do small amounts of prep throughout the day too. Like chop some veggies while Ari is playing with his kitchen, etc. 

• Loading the player...
  • We meal plan, there is never a breakfast, lunch, snack, or dinner that is not planned in advance. All heck breaks loose when we don't or when we mess up. We use our crock pot twice a week on average. I have chicken breasts in the crock right now. During the week we won't make a meal that only lasts for one night.

I think that for the most part we would do all of this even if allergies were not an issue. We both work FT  now and trying to cram making a meal from scratch, eat it, give a bath, have some fun, andget DD to bed on time is just too hard. However what we choose to make is much healthier and we don't have the luxury of ordering a pizza or picking up food to go if we are in a time crunch.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I cook big batches so I have something to heat up for breakfast/lunch a couple days after. I love my crock pot. I also make up a lot of one- or two-pot meals. Like, "if I cook this ground turkey, I'll drain it, add in some broccoli/potatoes/squash, whatever I have on hand, and saute together, and mix everything with rice, that would be good." I really *should* do meal planning, but I've never even cooked before I had C so I'm in the middle of adjusting. I spend a lot of time staring into my fridge and pantry. In May we'll be moving into our own house (finally) and we'll have a chest freezer in the garage. I want to do a weekly cook and freeze day with my mom so all week I just have to pull something out and put it in the oven. But who knows if that will happen.
  • I have a question:

I BF, and quit milk when DD was 7 weeks, things got better in a couple weeks, then an old frozen milk confirmed my thoughts...

Any way, here is my question.  She is now 6 months and I have started eating butter (in cookies, eating out etc.) and everything seems okay with DD.  Do you think she is over the milk sensitivity?

And for a tip:

I buy a lot of meat, fish, vegetables, rice and tofu. I cook large batches so that there is at least lunch and another dinner there.  I have also learned to love hemp milk, and cultured coconut milk.

• imagehst:

Any way, here is my question.  She is now 6 months and I have started eating butter (in cookies, eating out etc.) and everything seems okay with DD.  Do you

It is definitely possible she is less sensitive than she used to be. The only way to find out is to try. I made a rash decision while shaky-hungry and feeling stuck and had a piece of coffee cake at Starbucks and that definitely has butter and eggs in it. DS was fine. I got excited and tried a cheeseburger next (with cheddar cheese, so less protein), and he got sick.

He still didn't get as sick as he used to get, so I'm hopeful that in time it will get better. I still try to be 100% dairy/egg/fish/pineapple free because I don't want little bits here and there to add up to be a problem.

That cheeseburger was pretty much the best thing I ever tasted, though! ;)

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"