Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

What is your 2 yr olds milk situation? (vent too)

How much milk does your LO drink and how do they drink it? What do they drink out of and at what times? I have heard milk consumption goes down at 2 but my DD is down to drinking almost none. Today she probably had 3 oz! I have stopped giving it in the morning b/c she never drinks it and I try in the afternoon and bedtime. The only time she drinks it is bedtime with a straw cup, heated and with chocolate!! Yes we have tried everything and I'm at my wits end. I make sure to give her yogurt and cheese but just feel frustrated that she won't drink hardly any milk. Sometimes we will get lucky and shell finish her bedtime milk (8oz). Any tips? What's your 2ish yr olds milk situation?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: What is your 2 yr olds milk situation? (vent too)

• Options
    We don't really do cow's milk.  Kiddo eats plenty of yogurt and cheese and has a pretty good diet.  As long as they are getting the fat and nutrients from somewhere, they don't have to drink milk - it's not a magic elixir ;-)
  • Options
    My DS has really only ever had milk and water to drink so his milk consumption hasn't really gone down. He has a glass with each meal. I am going to say that milk itself isn't as important at the nutrients you get from it. You can get them from other sources (if you can) and if all else fails give a multivitamin until she starts drinking it again.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

She has some milk in her cereal some mornings...and about 1/5 times she will drink the residual from her bowl after she finished the cereal.  HA!

And occasionally, like once a week, she drinks about an ounce out of her cool pretend kitchen cup when she is acting fancy.

And that's it.  No biggie!

She eats cheese and yogurt and pinto beans and leafy green veggies.  

IMO, this cow's milk thing is totally over rated. 

• Options
    My boys actually seemed to start drinking more milk right at 2 when we switched to 2% milk. I assume they like the taste better. Now they easily drink 16-20 oz a day whereas before I could barely get them to 16 many days. Ditto pp that you can supplement with cheese and yogurt. I can also easily get another 4 oz of milk into them in a bowl of oatmeal, and another 4 oz in a smoothie. So 8 oz of milk plus a serving each of yogurt and cheese, and some water for more hydration and your LO should be set!
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • Options
    DG1DG1 member

Mine drinks a ton of milk, too, almost always from a sippy.  We keep a milk-filled sippy in the refrigerator door, and he just goes and gets some when he wants it.  He also gets milk with all 3 meals.  

Agree with teh PPs re: other sources of calcium. Yogurt is great. Milk alternatives like soymilk and almond milk can be great, too.  There are also flavored options there that might help her drink a little more of it.

Our pedi also recommends the gummi or chewable vitamins. Says the chewable have more calcium, but DS won't take those.  So there's another calcium/vitamin source for you.

• Options

imagencbelle:
    We don't really do cow's milk.  Kiddo eats plenty of yogurt and cheese and has a pretty good diet.  As long as they are getting the fat and nutrients from somewhere, they don't have to drink milk - it's not a magic elixir ;-)

This is us too. I dont like cows milk- various reasons.

My dd eats cheese and yogurts. I also like to keep vanilla almond milk around for baking and for my tea or cereal or whatever. Shes drink a cup of this a few times a week. I dont push her too but she likes it when she wants it. :)

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I don't see the big deal about making sure she gets milk.

that said, DS has been restricted to little dairy because of how sick he's been....it's a mucus maker.  He drinks Almond Milk and he LOVES chocolate mixed with regular.  Yes, I realize it's the same as chocolate, but not to him. He has about 3-4 drinks a day of it.  So I guess about 24-32 oz a day.

We were on Soy but there's so much negative around Soy now we switched to Almond....just glad DS isn't allergic to almonds :) 

• Options
    We have the opposite problem. I think DD drinks way too much milk. I can't even begin to guess how much per day, maybe 20-30 oz?! I do agree with pp that you can get the nutrients from elsewhere, gl!
  • Options
    Is she drinking plenty of other liquids (preferably water)? If so, I wouldn't be that concerned. DD used to be a big milk drinker but in recent months doesn't seem to want it as much. She probably drinks one cup a day but gets plenty of dairy through her diet. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    m/c at 13 weeks - March 23, 2011
  • Options
    I have never been crazy about DS's milk intake because he has never really been too interested.  He weaned himself off of formula and bottles at a year and never really drank much.  He has a milk drink in the morning (yogurt and milk mixed up) about 8 oz.  Somedays he drinks it right away other days its still being offered at dinner (I put it in the fridge after a while).  He drinks it out of a straw cup.  Sometimes he will drink chocolate milk in the evening but don't usually.  I don't worry about it at all nor do I fight with him about it.  I would just offer lots of other dairy and pick another toddler battle.  You are not alone.
  • Options

DS has 2% out of a straw Playtex cup twice a day, breakfast and dinner. I push water the rest of the day. Sometimes he gets a little milk for lunch too. I'm totally not flaming, but maybe try other sources of Vitamin D and Calcium instead of try to really get her to drink milk. You could just give cheese and yogurt and not have to even do the chocolate milk. Some people just don't like milk. Maybe your DD is figuring that out.

• Options

DD drinks milk maybe 2-3x a day.  She has a cup of milk at breakfast and/or in her cereal (maybe 2 oz) and she drinks out of regular plastic cup.

She normally has yogurt and toast and water for a 2nd breakfast

She has water or diluted juice at lunch.

If she's having picky day, I offer her milk at her afternoon snack w/ fruit, but that's not too often.

Dinner time I offer milk or water.  She picks milk about half the time.

I give her 2% organic milk, I've only given her chocolate milk once and she wasn't a fan, so I've never tried it again.  Except for early morning or when we're in the car, she drinks milk out of regular cup.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    the only time my dd (26 months) will drink milk is in the morning with breakfast and before bed. We make it a rule she has to have a sippy cup of milk in the morning before she gets juice or water and before bed we make it routine to give her a cup of it as well. She will drink some at meal-times,but only if its out of "mommy's cup"
  • Options
    Mine doesn't drink milk - ever.  I hate milk and so does he.  He eats cheese and yogurt.
  • Options
    our milk problem is trying to LIMIT it.  he gets 8oz when he wakes in morning and after his nap and he is ALWAYS asking for more.  He drinks it in a regular sippy.
  • Options
    What ncbelle said.  Milk's not really all that great for you anyway. 
    Wheee!

"When it comes to sleeping, whatever your baby does is normal. If one thing has damaged parents enjoyment of their babies, it's rigid expectations about how and when the baby should sleep." ~ James McKenna, Ph.D., Mother Baby Behavioral Sleep Center, University of Notre Dame

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"