3rd Trimester

Dangerous Glider Trapped Me and Baby

I wanted to post this here to warn people about the glider that I have in my DH nursery.  Night before last I was sitting in it with my 3 week old.  I had just gotten her to fall asleep so I went to stand up with her.  When I did the WHOLE glider tipped over forward and trapped me underneath with the baby.  Thank goodness we weren't hurt but I had to yell for help from my DH who was downstairs at the time.  I was worried that if I tried to move it, it would really hurt the baby or myself.  I want to make sure that no one buys this glider for their baby. I have contacted the maker and it is being returned this week.  It's soooo dangerous.  

It's the Carter's Glider manufactured by Summer Infant.  It was purchased at Babies R Us.  It's white with sage green cushions.  The Babies R Us item number on my receipt is 426222.

I plan to post this on the 0-3 month board.   

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Dangerous Glider Trapped Me and Baby

• imagekdodge423:

Sorry that happened and glad you and baby are ok- but user error does not make something dangerous.

This is kind of what I was thinking.  Sorry it happened... but I don't understand how the hell someone manages to do this.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • How in the WORLD did this happen??? I am so confused as to how something can fall on top of you. Glad you are ok.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Loading the player...
  • imageStellarStina26:
    imagekdodge423:

Sorry that happened and glad you and baby are ok- but user error does not make something dangerous.

This is kind of what I was thinking.  Sorry it happened... but I don't understand how the hell someone manages to do this.  

This, maybe it wasn't built correctly.

image.
  • So you're the person that gets all these seemingly-straightforward products recalled...

I just can't figure out how one would get a glider to do this. Hmm

• YIKES! Will you update us on the response you get from Babies RUs & The manufacturer? I'm curious...
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • FFS 

I'm guessing if the center of gravity is high enough, then when you scoot forward to stand up, you could possibly tilt the front part of the seat with the back of your thighs.  If it tilts forward then the top part of the chair could knock you over.

That doesn't mean its necessarily dangerous, but there's no harm in posting about it.

• This thread will be DD'd.  I'm willing to wager 5,000 bump points on it. 
  • did you lock the glider before getting up? I forgot to do that the other morning when I was sitting in there and it tilted forward a little.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • Sounds like an isolated incident to me.
  • imageErinMTaylor:

FFS 

I'm guessing if the center of gravity is high enough, then when you scoot forward to stand up, you could possibly tilt the front part of the seat with the back of your thighs.  If it tilts forward then the top part of the chair could knock you over.

That doesn't mean its necessarily dangerous, but there's no harm in posting about it.

I don't plan on deleting this post!!!  I was trying to do a good thing!  I would hate to see someone's baby get hurt!!  I've tried out the glider multiple times since this happened night before last.  The back part of the chair comes off the ground when getting up from it every time.  You have to get out of it in just the "right" way for it not to do this.  I don't plan on using it again with my baby.   

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Can you PIP this glider? I'm having trouble understanding how this could happen. I have an upholstered glider we just got at Burlington Coat Factory and before that we also had a wooden glider. I don't see how it could happen with either one.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    September 2015 Siggy Challenge - Happy Dance
  • Thanks for the info!

You should also put a review in on the website. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageMrsCarroll.6-10-07:
    Can you PIP this glider? I'm having trouble understanding how this could happen. I have an upholstered glider we just got at Burlington Coat Factory and before that we also had a wooden glider. I don't see how it could happen with either one.

How do you like the upholstered glider from burlington. I was looking at one last week and they are 50% off when you buy the glider and ottoman

CafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers
  • I am not familiar with your glider, but ours locks into place so it's easier to get out of.  Perhaps you're supposed to do that?  I'm glad you and your baby are okay.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage
  • We have a shermag one from BRU and even if you lock it like someone else said if you scoot forward and sit on the edge enough you can manage to tip it over.  I've never done it myself but the kids have done it. But  you really need to be on the very edge.
  • Jeez, ladies, she's just trying to be helpful. Flaming her is ridiculous.

Thanks for letting us know that this could possibly happen with this glider. I am sure anyone who has it will be more careful now.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageclynn58:

imageMrsCarroll.6-10-07:
    Can you PIP this glider? I'm having trouble understanding how this could happen. I have an upholstered glider we just got at Burlington Coat Factory and before that we also had a wooden glider. I don't see how it could happen with either one.

How do you like the upholstered glider from burlington. I was looking at one last week and they are 50% off when you buy the glider and ottoman

So far it is in my garage and waiting for its new home inside. =) But it was comfy and will easily fit me and baby or my husband and baby (or toddler on our laps comfortably). The best part was the sale said it was 50% off when you buy both but at the register it was 65% off the glider. I posted about it last week when i bought it (here). For $165 out the door for both items I'm happy with it. I got it in the lighter color and I can reuse it if #3 is a boy.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    September 2015 Siggy Challenge - Happy Dance
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"