2nd Trimester
Options

Not taking any classes...

FI and I aren't taking any classes for the preparation of our son!!

I never thought it was necessary and I never really had a chance to, for many various reasons. Now it's too late because we are moving! lol! (although, it's really not funny.)

What I'm most worried about is labor and delivery! Does anybody have any tips or advice on what to do since we aren't taking classes??

Any specific books, movies, etc. that helped you with childbirth or being a FTM?

Re: Not taking any classes...

• Options

We didnt last time cause the only class that was offered in our area (we live in a very small town) didnt work with our schedules. We got the Laugh and Learn about Child birth DVD, and it really helped me feel prepared for labor. I recommend it, but wouldnt waste the money on the other DVDs in the series, they werent  as helpful.

Here is a link to it on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Laugh-Learn-About-Childbirth-Bayles/dp/B000PLXFSS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296520833&sr=8-1

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Sorry, I should have put this in the last post, but also, when you get to where you are moving to, see if you can pre-register at your hospital and get a tour of the Labor & Delivery department. It is nice to know how things work at your hospital and know things like if you need to bring cash for your hubby's meals, or if they provide them.

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

We checked out laugh and learn from the library (DVD) and watched it at home together. We practiced and that was about it. The pain hit so hard that none of the breathing was helping. We got to the hospital and the nurse was trying to help me do lamaze breathing and it wasn't working either.

The only class we took was a first aid and CPR for infant class, which I think is very important but you can do it after the baby arrives.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

We did take a class last time, but it was awful and didn't finish it.  I think it really depends on what you are hoping for from you L&D experience.  If you are looking to go unmedicated- then you probably should look into classes or something to help prepare.  I was fairly open to epidurals, just went in thinking, I'll do the best I can for as long as I can, then if needed, not feel bad about getting some help- which I did :) 

Good luck!  I agree though with pp, checking out the new hospital would be very helpful- just to be familiar with where you are going.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I didn't take a class with DS and I didn't feel unprepared when the time came.  Somehow babies have been born for centuries without lessons.  :)  I did take a tour of the L&D with DH.
  • Options
    We took all of the classes with DD and most were pretty useless. I'd recommend taking a tour of the hospital where you plan to deliver, and meeting with your baby's pediatrician before s/he is born. If you have a chance to take prenatal yoga, I found that much more helpful for practicing relaxation techniques than the silly breathing exercises we did in the birth class. The only class that was pretty useful was the breastfeeding class, only because I didn't know anything about about it before and I didn't have any friends or family locally who could show me what to do. If you have someone who can help shortly after birth, that would be good. Or, if you can meet with a lactation consultant before or shortly after birth, that should be sufficient. I also used a book called the Nursing Mother's Companion, which was very useful. 
  • Options

imagedvsness:
    Somehow babies have been born for centuries without lessons.  :) 

I TOTALLY agree with this statement - which is why I am also opting out of the classes.  Touring the hospital/maternity ward area makes sense though.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"