Multiples

share your tips for getting them to stand still in pics!

Now that my girls can walk (and run) it's getting so hard to get a good picture of them.  I have like 3 clicks of the camera before someone's off and running. I can only hope that in one of those clicks, there's a decent picture.

How do you get your kids to stand still?  Any tricks you can share?  Mine used to be afraid of grass and would stand still in it, but Lily mastered that one today and walks right off. Wink

After 2 rounds of IVF & 2 rounds of FET, we were blessed with identical twin girls!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: share your tips for getting them to stand still in pics!

• It's pretty impossible!  That's why we finally got a DSLR around their birthday.  Outside shots, like you do often, give me the best results.  I used to change my siggie all the time, but it's much harder to get good shots now... plus I'm having tech difficulties ;) 

Now that they're a little older I can ask them to sit on the fireplace and give them something "new" to hold.  They seem to understand and actually stay there for a few... not that they look AT me, or smile at the same time! 

Photobucket Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Good question! I would love to know but for now I just need Nathaniel to stand up by himself(he stands as long as he has something to hold onto)...that's why I haven't changed my siggy pic! As soon as I get them together, she runs off!
  • Loading the player...
  • Yeah, the DSLR helps.  But it's still so hard!  And I don't have the patience the photog who took their birthday/cake smash pics has.  Once they are off and running I give up.  Stick out tongue

After 2 rounds of IVF & 2 rounds of FET, we were blessed with identical twin girls!

• imagekimarino13:
    Yeah, the DSLR helps.  But it's still so hard!  And I don't have the patience the photog who took their birthday/cake smash pics has.  Once they are off and running I give up.  Stick out tongue

I take far fewer pics now.  By the time I go get the camera they are finished doing the adorable/hilarious thing.  Yes, I give up too! 

Photobucket Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Well, are of your pictures are adorable, so I don't know what you're talking about!!  But, I have lined mine up in a crib for a good shot of all four.  I happen to have really good light next to one of the cribs in the twins' rooms, so this works well.  They can't go anywhere, but it's also a picture in a crib ;)  It's much harder to get four to stay and smile, too. I've resigned myself to capturing "candid" shots, where there will always be someone not looking at the camera!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Mom to Megan(5), Bridget(4), Tessa and Annie (2) and Mary (brand new)

• Yeah, it's pretty much impossible : )  I usually make hubby look like a lunatic trying to make them laugh and keep their attention.  Our 2 y/o is the worst though... he's normally a mama's boy, but as soon as he sees the camera he acts like he doesn't know me!
    ~Crystal~ SAHM to Sam (5), Hugh (3), Mary & Grace (22 months) : )
  • I say impossible.. though I don't think we were ever good at it.  I just snap away and hope for a decent one.  But most are not posed.

• ahhaha..hahaha. ha ha ha ha.... HUH??? Stand STILL in pictures??? What's that?? 

since mine could crawl that has been over --- it's so impossible to get pics of them together, even the 2 pro photo sessions we did got NONE of them together.

• Damn.  I thought someone would have some magic trick for me!

:::cries:::

• #6#6 member

Bribe them with M&Ms.  (or a quarter works with my 3 now) 

I didnt want to resort to bribery but for a picture of all 3 I was willing to do anything.

I know your girls are still too young to understand bribery so you  just have to work quickly.  I always made sure I had them posed how I wanted and then ran back to my spot to try and grab a few good shots.  Make lots of noise, have a new toy or something for them to look at while you take the pics.(hold it above the camera)  *get a feather duster*  We went to Sears/Walmart/Olan Mills?  and they had one and my kids were amazed by that thing swiping their noses.  Made them smile "just right"  every time.  (while they were little that is)

Landon has always been better at taking pictures.  Since 2 I have always been able to get him to sit still, smile and look by saying "give me your handsome smile"  Kennedy has a really awkward forced smile every.single.time.  Kay is mostly silly and not paying attention.  

Sorry I dont really have any help for your girls ages.  Its really hard once they are walking yet not old enough to listen/understand.  

• i email a pic to my mom everyday and recently she asked why i dont ever send pics of their faces anymore. i said "because they are always running away from me. and if i can get them in the same frame that is an accomplishment". oy. 
  • That a really hard age.  I think up to 18 months is extremely difficult.  Between 18 months and 2 years, my kids kind of "got it" and started cooperating.  Now they are sick of the camera and I have to trick them.

I did a blog post not that long ago with some tips for a successful photo shoot with kids.  https://thegreatumbrellaheist.blogspot.com/2011/01/christmas-card-photo-shoot.html

• Haha, I've been wanting to ask you how YOU get your girls to stand still in your pics ;)  I've seen several of your pics of them standing outside and they are so CUTE!  LOL My cousin used to call grass "hot lava" cause her daughter would freeze on it too!

I only have one kiddo right now, but we do photography on the side and our son is our most popular client! haha  I've tried it all.  I used to do a holiday themed pic for him for each "first" holiday so I came across some werid props that made him laugh or kept him still.  A turkey baster, he had it for his Thanksgiving pic of course, but I started sucking his cheek or hand or even in the mouth and he found it hilarious.  I know, werid, but it worked.  I blow bubbles.  I've tried party poppers (catches their attention well), feather duster, sometimes I have to let him hold something, a little ball or car.  We have an SLR camera so it's FAST but it's sitll hard.  It's easier when hubby and I can do it together so one of us can scream, make funny noises and go crazy while the other gets the shot. Sometimes just flipping my hair is enough to get him.  I flip my head down and then up and say BOO!  He's almost 2 now and it still works.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Oh and sometimes just a prop to sit ON helps, a bench, stool, or even a ride on toy.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"