Breastfeeding

Daughter is latching on and ripping off CONSTANTLY during feedings!

Hi all.  My wife has exclusively breast fed our daughter for these first 14 weeks.  But recently she has started playing this game where she'll latch on (most painful part) for about 3 or 5 seconds, then turn her head and... RIP!!  She maintains suction so my wife's nipple goes for one hell of a ride.  Then she turns back and tries to relatch on.  After about 5-10 minutes of that, my wife loses patience (who wouldn't!?) and closes up the breasteraunt.  This results in a very unhappy baby and not a great feeding. 

Any insight?  Why is our daughter doing this!?  It's creating A LOT of stress for us!!!

Thanks in advance! my wife is a long-time reader, but I'm the first time poster :)

Re: Daughter is latching on and ripping off CONSTANTLY during feedings!

• My DD does this.  I try burping her and/or switching sides.  Usually one will work for us.  That's my advice.  Good luck!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Currently going through our second deployment. Can't wait for Zoe to meet her daddy!

• sorry, just thought of a couple othe rthings.  Her supply appears to be really good.  Sometimes it takes a while to get going, but she can really feel it once it gets going. 

Our daughter is on 1.0mL of zantac for her acid reflux.  But everything I've read says that feeding should SOOTH her reflux, not make it worse!

When we take her off and close the breasteraunt, the usually wails and goes nuts.  That happening at bedtime, really makes it tough to put her down and get her to stay down for the night...  She gets SOO worked up!

I'm sure I'm forgetting something, so please make any suggestions! 

• Loading the player...
  • I'm sorry that I don't have a solution for you but I can say that my DS does this too.  He seems to do it more when he is trying to poo his pants.  Or else if my milk is not built up as much as sometimes.  Morning is better for me than the evening is.  I have started giving a bottle and pumping in the evening to try to make it a little better. Also, when DS's reflux was acting up he would sort of do this too.  That is why I started as an EP'er.  Now we are working on nursing now that his reflux is under control with medicine. If is it at the beginning of the feeding that this happens maybe your wife could pump a little first to get the flow started or else hand compress some milk out to get things flowing so DD isn't frustrated about not getting milk right away. Good luck!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • duplicate post deleted

• imagedanienross:
    My DD does this.  I try burping her and/or switching sides.  Usually one will work for us.  That's my advice.  Good luck!

so you'll actualy switch back & forth and do each side more than once?

• imageroth1197:
    so you'll actually switch back & forth and do each side more than once?

Sometimes.  My DD is a very efficient eater and rarely eats more than 5min per side.  I'll start on one side, let her eat, try to burp her, then switch to other side if needed (sometimes she only nurses on one side).  She usually only does the pulling off between the first side and the second but if she does it after the second, I'll try putting her on the first again.  I don't think I've ever had to put her on the second side for a second time but if I needed to I would.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Currently going through our second deployment. Can't wait for Zoe to meet her daddy!

• imagedanienross:

imageroth1197:

Sometimes.  My DD is a very efficient eater and rarely eats more than 5min per side.  I'll start on one side, let her eat, try to burp her, then switch to other side if needed (sometimes she only nurses on one side).  She usually only does the pulling off between the first side and the second but if she does it after the second, I'll try putting her on the first again.  I don't think I've ever had to put her on the second side for a second time but if I needed to I would.

That's a really good idea.  Almost like you're breaking their concentration and putting them back on. Like a reset button :)

Thanks!  We'll give that a try! 

Any other suggestions (in case this one doesn't do the trick?)?  I'm particularily concerned with bedtime.  She used to fall asleep so good when we would swaddle her and do her last feeding of the night.... I think that pulling her off and switching sides might waker her up a bit too much.  (she already goes nutso when we take her off now, that's another new trick she learned in the last couple days...)

Thanks!

• imageroth1197:
    imagedanienross:

imageroth1197:

That's a really good idea.  Almost like you're breaking their concentration and putting them back on. Like a reset button :)

Thanks!  We'll give that a try! 

Any other suggestions (in case this one doesn't do the trick?)?  I'm particularily concerned with bedtime.  She used to fall asleep so good when we would swaddle her and do her last feeding of the night.... I think that pulling her off and switching sides might waker her up a bit too much.  (she already goes nutso when we take her off now, that's another new trick she learned in the last couple days...)

Thanks!

Well if she's falling asleep, I let her be.  My DD almost always nurses to sleep for naps and for bedtime and I don't mind.  I only switch sides if she is restless and feisty.

• When my son does this, it's usually because he has some kind of reflux or needs to poop. I will stop feeding and sit him up to burp or give him a minute to let his tummy settle and then switch breasts. He rarely pulls twice during a feeding.

• imagedanienross:

Well if she's falling asleep, I let her be.  My DD almost always nurses to sleep for naps and for bedtime and I don't mind.  I only switch sides if she is restless and feisty.

That's actually another issue.  My wife nurses right before bedtime and our daughter looks like she falls dead asleep.  However, when we go to put her down, she becomes absolutely possessed!  Then we have to hold her and rock her to calm her down for about 30-45 minutes.

This just started within the last week or two. We know she's over tired, we can't get her to nap for any length longer than 30 minutes in our arms.  We can't get her to nap during the day. 

Any advice for that??  I'm sure her overtiredness is majorly contributing to all of these issues that tend to intensify as the day goes on...  We swaddle her at night, but we don't want to have to swaddle her forever!  Car rides usually work for her, but we don't want to be that family driving circles around the subdivision all day because she has to nap.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

• It's possible she's associating the feedings with reflux. I've heard of reflux babies refusing to eat because they associate eating (maybe even at certain times of the day) with pain.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"