TTC after 35

gave up drinking?

how many of you have given up the wine? do you really think it will help with getting pregnant? i have not given it up, but wondering if i should, i really haven't read up on it. sorry for my ignorance.
BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: gave up drinking?

• I gave up drinking entirely about a year ago.  I have horrible headaches and the doctors finally found a med that helps keep them to a minimum - but while on it drinking is a total bad thing. 

So far not drinking hasn't seemed to help me get pregnant, but I figure it can't hurt things not to drink.  Right?

• I have not given up drinking at this point. Maybe once I am on meds, I will consider it but so far, I am having some cocktails.

TTC #1 since 8/1/10; Me:41 and BRCA1+, DH:46
    DOR (FSH 24.3)/ terrible egg quality ; homozygous MTHFR c677t
    5 IUI's: 2/11 to 6/11 and 1/12= BFN
    OE IVF#1-4 8/11-6/12= all BFN
    DE IVF#1 11/12 bad embryos= BFN
    DE IVF #2 2/13 BFP/Beta hell: m/c 5w6d
    CFNBC 7 months, not doing well; decided on guarantee program at RBA w/frozen DE
    DE IVF #3 1/14  ET 4BB; BFP;M/C 5w1d, incomplete m/c; MVA extraction in ER 7w1d

DE FET#1 ET 3/1714; BFP, beta 1 3/27= 197, beta 2 3/31= 1586, beta 3 4/7= 13879!!
    First u/s= Twins with HBs at 6w2d! We are Team Pink x 2!!

K & K born 11/21/14 at 38wks 4 days

imageimage

SAIF/PAIF Welcome

http://waitingforraintostop.wordpress.com

• Loading the player...
  • I cut back.

This cycle in particular I am trying to eat better (I am not a bad eater, just eating more organic, less meat, etc) and less alcohol is better, IMO.

It's kind of a personal challenge. I did allow myself two beers last Fri night but I am not having 2 beers with dinner 2-3 nights a week as I usually would.

But, there is no reason to give it up totally, IMO.

b/w=FSH 15.6, AMH 0.4 surprise natural BFP on 3/12/11
    DS born via unplanned C-section at 40w6d

• I have not giving up drinking, but I'm not much of a drinker anyway. I only drink maybe once or twice a month if that.
  • For what it's worth, my new RE said that while alcohol can definitely affect fertility, 1 alcoholic drink a day is ok.  That was before I learned about my diminished ovarian reserve, however -- which is when I just stopped drinking both alcohol and caffeine in an attempt to improve egg quality for IVF.  Drinking once or twice a month if you're not gearing up for IVF seems totally fine to me.
    me - 41 (dx: DOR); DH - 53 (no problems); 7/18/09 - married!; 8/4/09 - BFP on first (real)try; 9/14/09 - missed m/c; 9/15/09 - d&c; 11/09 - 3/10 - 4 natural cycles = BFN; 4/10 - dx hyperthyroidism caused by Graves' disease; 6/10 - thyroidectomy; 7/10 - 12/10 - 1 natural and 5 medicated IUI cycles = BFN; 1/11 - new RE; dx low ovarian reserve (AMH .42; 1/26/11 -- BFP (ectopic) from IUI #6; methotrexate 2/10/11; 6/2/11 - IVF #1 = BFN; 9/12/11 - prescreening for DE; 9/15/11 - IUI #7 (unmedicated)= BFN; 11/8 - begin DE cycle (shared risk program); 12/5 - ER (5 eggs/4 mature/3 fertilized/2 left by day 5) 12/10 - ET of one 1BB blast (expanded, "fair" quality), none to freeze; 12/22 - totally shocked by +hpt; beta #1 = 413; #2 = 3952 2/14 - CVS reveals a healthy baby girl! EDD: 8/27/12 DD born 8/31/12, 10 lbs 10 oz and perfect in every way. 
  • There have been multiple studies that show drinking can delay conception. Both male and female drinking. So I have cut back but not cut out entirely. If its a special event, sure I'll have a glass or two of wine. But I leave it to that. JMO. A lot of people feel otherwise.

• I cut back, which is what my RE suggested.  He told me a cocktail or glass of wine wouldn't hurt.

If you're Dr. is ok with the occasional drink, I would say go for it, but it's a personal decision. 

• I recently just completely cut it out, only 1 month so far. I am starting IUI with clomid and am just really gearing up to make this baby.  I saw studies connecting the two to lack of conception and implantation so I have been caffeine and wine free and believe it or not I am not even craving it, I feel great!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • When we first starting trying I stopped drinking altogether, but as the months dragged on and I missed my red wine I figured it was silly to give it up entirely when a) it's fine to drink in moderation and b) I was going to have to give it up for 9 months+ when I get pregnant.

I now have a glass, maybe 2, of wine once or twice a week, and my RE said that's perfectly fine. She was even okay with my husband's level of drinking - he'll have a couple beers a few weeknights, and more on the weekends.

When I did some research on this back in the day, what I saw is that you'd have to drink pretty often/a good amount for it to impact conception, and if you do get pregnant you don't share blood with the baby in very early pregnancy so it won't impact them until you're like 5 weeks along... and by then you should know you're pregnant.

That being said, when I get started with injections/IUI/IVF, I'll most likely stop drinking completely. I figure my body will be messed up enough!

My Blog Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    TTC #1 since 4/10, Dx: MFI IVF planned for April/May
  • The first year trying I gave up all drinking during the 2ww(based on some reading that said drinking alcohol can affect the chances of getting pregnant).  After the 1st year, it was too frustrating to live life in 2 week increments for me so I had the occasional glass of wine during the 2ww.  After the 2nd year, I just drank whenever I wanted since it didn't seem to matter at all what I was drinking(at most 2-3 drinks/week).  Just over 36 months of trying and I found out that I was pregnant.  I don't think drinking alcohol or not drinking it had any effect whatsoever.  I think you have to do what makes you the least stressed out and feel the best.  Good luck and I hope it happens more quickly for you than it did for me!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"