Babies: 0 - 3 Months

for those who had natural childbirth

what is one thing you know now that you wish you had know then?

Re: for those who had natural childbirth

• Honestly?  Tell DH that the "minute long contraction" before going to the hospital is more of a guideline than a rule - he was insistent that we weren't ready to go to the hospital yet as we had 45 second contractions, but I was almost all the way dilated by the time we got there!

Oh, and back labor is more painful than anything else.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • That the hospital's "natural birth-friendly practices" weren't quite as natural birth-friendly as they made them out to be.
  • Loading the player...
  • 'stop poking my babies foot!' my daughter was jaundiced, they kept wanting to take blood, (lots) it was horrible to watch, and I now would have said no, and made them leave!

Little Rose is 2 1/2.
  • Get lots of pictures because the pain made me forget almost everything and have something to squeeze. Haha
  • My OBGYN told not to come to the hospital unless my water broke or I had 'painful' contractions that I could not talk through.  Thanks to Hypnobirthing (amazing) I never had any 'painful' contractions that I couldn't talk through.  I was 100% relaxed & peaceful in my bathtub while DH rubbed my back.  When my water broke we left the house for the hospital thats 30 mins away.  Once in the car I felt the urge to push & had to fight it, making it very hard to concentrate on my Hypnobirthing.  I arrived at the hospital 10cm dialted, DS was born about 15 mins later.  Needless to say, I should have left my house sooner.  I almost had DS in the car.

I wish I would have had a nurse deliver my baby in my bathtub at home instead of getting out of my peaceful bathtub & trucking in a bumpy car for 30 mins to the hospital.  I had a perfect delivery & there was no reason I couldn't have had a home birth.

• imagekhrystyng:
    Get lots of pictures because the pain made me forget almost everything and have something to squeeze. Haha

i didnt go all natual but i agree with the taking lots of pictures.  in the midst of everything, i forgot to and so did dh! 

• imageMoxieMummy:

Honestly?  Tell DH that the "minute long contraction" before going to the hospital is more of a guideline than a rule - he was insistent that we weren't ready to go to the hospital yet as we had 45 second contractions, but I was almost all the way dilated by the time we got there!

Oh, and back labor is more painful than anything else.

This.  I kept putting off going!  I also had back labor- it is not pleasant but you can easily get through it.  The next day it feels like somebody beat you in the back with a shovel.

• I agree with having something to squeeze :-)  Especially when pushing.
  • imageBalancingJane:
    That the hospital's "natural birth-friendly practices" weren't quite as natural birth-friendly as they made them out to be.

This absolutely! Also, if you don't want hardcore pain meds AFTER delivery, specify it in your birth plan and let your doctor know. I made it through with no meds and then got a big dose of Stadol immediately after delivery without anybody asking me. I am still very bitter that my daughter's first two hours of life were spent with a blacked-out mother after all the hard work I did, and I had no idea that it was even a possibility.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I don't think there is anything I know now that I wish I knew then. Well, I wish I had pictures because my sister recorded it. I LOVE watching the video but I wish I had some sweet pictures, too. Seriously, get someone to record it... I love that I get to relive the moment I first saw DS. It brings me to tears everytime. I think I watch it a couple times a week, at least.

I also had back labor, and it really hurt, but I had heard that it hurt worse. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagerosiemomma:

'stop poking my babies foot!' my daughter was jaundiced, they kept wanting to take blood, (lots) it was horrible to watch, and I now would have said no, and made them leave!

OH and this this this! DS was jaundiced and I don't know why they needed his blood every freaking hour! Grr.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I agree with PPs, I wish I had thought to bring something to squeeze.  I improvised with my mom's hand, the bed, or the pocket of poor DH's jeans (I'm surprised that I didn't rip them).  I had a lot of back labor, so I spent most of my late labor up on my side, with my face in DH's hip.

I also wish that I had been more demanding about ice chips.  I was so flipping thirsty, and I kept asking for them, and DH would feed me like two.  My throat was insanely sore that night, from being so dehydrated. 

The Monster is growing up! Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Just when I thought the pain couldn't get any worse, I felt the urge to push. Pushing was such a relief from the contractions. If I would have begged for an epi before, I believe I wouldn't have pushed as effectively as I did. Also, my eyes were swollen for days after birth from the pressure of pushing. 

• Get to the hospital earlier! I almost had DD2 in the car...
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Something to squeeze as well. I also bit my hubby's shirt to keep from screaming. LOL also I had assigned my sister to take pictures and thats what she did. So I got pics from everything to walking into the hospital to walking out with baby and all between.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"