Washington Babies

Baby won't stop rolling over - HELP!

Oh.My.God. Sleep has gone to hell in a hand basket in our house lately. Baby was sleeping 11 or 12 hours straight through, and it was SO wonderful. However, the last week or so he's decided that he needs to roll over immediately after we lay him down. The problem with that is, he doesn't know how to roll from his tummy to his back. So, he gets stuck on his tummy. He'll last for a little bit, then start to panic and cry since he can't get back over. He's not a tummy sleeper at all. Matter of fact, it seems like he doesn't realize he can lay his head down and rest it when he's on his tummy. Anyway, I've tried to go in a roll him back over (repeatedly) and he just rolls right back over onto his tummy again. We let him cry for a while the other night just to see what would happen, and he eventually wore himself out and fell asleep on his tummy for about 45 minutes, then woke up in a panic again. Last night I had to rock him to sleep (which took forever) and sneak him back into the crib, only to have him wake up rolling over at 5:30 this morning. We're exhausted after almost a week of this.

I don't know what to do for him. The sleepsuit doesn't keep him from rolling anymore, and there doesn't seem to be any way to safely keep him on his back with anything else. I'm giving him tons of floor time during the day so he can practice rolling around and all that jazz. I'm at a loss. Has anyone been through this? What did you do?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Baby won't stop rolling over - HELP!

• I didn't have this, but I know it's common.  I would just really work with him to teach him how to roll front to back.  As soon as he can do that, you'll get past it.   Front to back is the "easy" way to roll, so if he can do back to front, he's strong enough to do both.  Just needs to figure out the logistics.  

Beware - this can happen when they learn to stand up too... kids will pull up to standing and then can't sit back down!  Oh and crawling too... some kids will crawl into the corner of their cribs and get stuck too.  It's always something... sigh...

This too shall pass...  

• This is exactly what happened to us. Wonderful sleeper - learned to 1/2 roll over - week of sleeping hell - until he slowly learned to roll back. After all that - a perfectly happy tummy sleeper. Now I find him in every position under the sun....good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • imageStellaZ:
    This is exactly what happened to us. Wonderful sleeper - learned to 1/2 roll over - week of sleeping hell - until he slowly learned to roll back. After all that - a perfectly happy tummy sleeper. Now I find him in every position under the sun....good luck!

This was us exactly.  I think it took roughly a week before Lucy settled into sleeping on her belly.  Now, that's the only way she'll sleep.  But, she was totally freaked out by it for the first week or so.

We just did extra tummy time during the day and we practiced rolling from belly to back a lot during the day.  I'd position her arms for her since that was her sticking point and then help her over.

Also, at night when she'd roll and cry, instead of putting her on her back again, we started just rubbing her back and soothing her while she was on her belly. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Oh my gosh, we went through this when Ryan learned to stand!  It's bitter sweet and awful...  It's really too bad you can't bribe them with alcohol at this age ;)

Hang in there!

• imageAlli923:

imageStellaZ:
    This is exactly what happened to us. Wonderful sleeper - learned to 1/2 roll over - week of sleeping hell - until he slowly learned to roll back. After all that - a perfectly happy tummy sleeper. Now I find him in every position under the sun....good luck!

This was us exactly.  I think it took roughly a week before Lucy settled into sleeping on her belly.  Now, that's the only way she'll sleep.  But, she was totally freaked out by it for the first week or so.

We just did extra tummy time during the day and we practiced rolling from belly to back a lot during the day.  I'd position her arms for her since that was her sticking point and then help her over.

Also, at night when she'd roll and cry, instead of putting her on her back again, we started just rubbing her back and soothing her while she was on her belly. 

How were you positioning her arms? Just tucking them down by her sides?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Oh, I remember this happening and posting the same thing! I don't remember it being a very long phase and then they were back to sleeping normal-maybe a week or two. I think it was once they got used to sleeping on their belly or figured out how to roll back over. Hopefully it won't last long for you either...hang in there....I know it's hard when the sleep schedule your used to goes haywire!
  • imagemartini-time:
    imageAlli923:

imageStellaZ:

How were you positioning her arms? Just tucking them down by her sides?

I'd have to kind of tuck in under her, down and to her side.  She couldn't quite figure out where to put it so that it wasn't in the way when she wanted to roll.  :) You can try it in a few different positions, and help him roll and see what way is the smoothest, then keep practicing! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We just went through this a couple of weeks ago.  DS knows how to roll belly to back, but wouldn't do it.  It actually only took a couple of nights and then he adjusted to sleeping on his belly.  I agree with PPs - keep helping him practice and he will either start doing it himself or settle onto his tummy.
  • imagemartini-time:

I don't know what to do for him. The sleepsuit doesn't keep him from rolling anymore, and there doesn't seem to be any way to safely keep him on his back with anything else.

Oh no.  So not looking forward to this. 

I'm going to make an AWESOME big brother.

Pregnancy Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"