Washington Babies
Options

Maui question

Which is better - Kapalua or Kahului? We have friends that have asked us to go with them to Honolulu in June but having been there 3 times before we thought we might spend a few days in Maui also. Any thoughts? And would 3 days be long enough?

collage Cooper Flynn is 3 years old and growing! May 10,2009 Miscarriage April 2008 Ectopic pregnancy August 2011

Re: Maui question

• Options
    Kapalua or Wailea - Kahului is where the airport is and it gets more rain. There's a great restaurant up near Paia on the north side east of Kahului called Mama's Fish House which is worth driving to for an evening.  Wailea is my favoirte though having stayed all along Kaanapali (Kapalua is just a bit past Kaanapali).  We rent a condos at either the Mana Kai or Wailea Elua Village. It's right along a huge walkable beach w/ a boardwalk area as well. There's a great little shopping area and a spa day at the Grand Wailea is probably one of my most favorite places ever - spendy but so great.  Three days isn't much if you include your travel days - kind of a lot of effort for barely any time - I'd try for maybe 5.  Sounds so nice right now!!! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

We really like to stay in Kihei when we go to Maui. It is not quite as touristy but it still has enough going on to keep us busy and the beaches are not as crowded. However we don?t mind driving so we make this our main Hub and then drive around and explore the rest of the Island. I enjoy that Maui is more laid back then Oahu so when we go visit I don?t like to be in Lahina or the other resort towns because they have a very touristy feel so it really depends on what you are looking for.   

As to whether or not 3 days is long enough it really depends on what you are looking to do and will this be 3 full days or 3 days including travel. If it is 3 full days I think you can see a lot in this time if you aren?t looking to have a lot of down time. If you are looking to do the Road to Hana; this will take up an entire day in its self. If you do not want to do the entire trip there is a nice little waterfall (actually 2) right at the beginning of the road that you can always do and then turn around to save time, I think they are called twin falls or something like that.    
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I love Kapalua.  We have a house there (well my fam does) and I love going.  I also love the Wailea side.  Kahului is where the airport is and it doesn't seem like that would be a great area so stay.  Plus they get a lot of rain.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Oh I meant we would just go to Maui on our own for 3 days whilst our friends stay in Honolulu. Then we would go back & have 5 days in Honolulu with them. We just thought it would be nice to go there to Maui seeing as we have been to Honolulu a few times now!!

Thanks, might look into Kapalua a bit more then!

collage Cooper Flynn is 3 years old and growing! May 10,2009 Miscarriage April 2008 Ectopic pregnancy August 2011
  • Options
    Are those two areas your only options? If not, I would look at Kaanapali. It is the most gorgeous beach, nice calm areas for Coop, restaurants, great shopping and very easy to get around ... I have stayed there five of my six times on Maui, and I absolutely love it. Kapalua is nice, but it's a bit more secluded whereas Kaanapali is closer to Lahaina which is the main hub, so to speak.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"