Babies on the Brain
Options

What do you consider newborn must haves?

I finally finished my registry and now I have people asking me what I really want and need off of it.  I am trying to make a list of must haves.  So what did you/do you consider a must have for say the newborn stage of baby's life? 

I mean I know the obvious crib, dressser (or else I am going to have bags of clothes everywhere lol), swing, diapers, etc.  Oh and infant car seat.  But what about things I am probably not thinking of since I don't have a newborn.  Thanks guys.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: What do you consider newborn must haves?

• Options

This is all I can think of right now! 

White noise machine (we have the Sleep Sheep)
    Swaddleme
    Mylicon

Married 11/24/07
    Camille Rae 8/21/10
    Thea Grace's EDD 5/22/14

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Shampoo and wash, wash cloths, towels, meds, qtips, diaper cream, diapers, vaseline, possibly bottles. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Swaddle blankets, bottles, noise machine/humidifier, baby bath all come to mind at the moment.

ETA: and the Boppy! 

• Options
    imageandrew's wifey:

This is all I can think of right now! 

White noise machine (we have the Sleep Sheep)
    Swaddleme
    Mylicon

These, though I've never had the pleasure of a swaddleme (didn't have when DD was little.)

You could also have gripe water on hand. Again, never used it with DD, but know plenty who swear by it.

• Options
    Each persons experience is different, but I'm super thankful we had gas drops and a tummy time mat!
    Photobucket
    Nursed without dairy, egg, soy, peanut, treenut, fish, shellfish or beef for over a year.
    Currently tandem nursing dairy, egg, and shellfish free.
    DS born via emergency c/s after 20 hrs of labor. DD successful VBAC!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Follow Me on Pinterest

Learning Liam
  • Options

One of these.

It's definitely not essential, but I really wish we'd had one for TLF's first bath, which was the scariest thing we've ever done. They're slippery little fvckers. 

JHL 12/5/09 - 12/9/09
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Ditto the Sleep Sheep.  I wish we'd had it from the start, it helps a LOT with sleep.  Also, SwaddleMes or a Miracle Blanket, Gripe Water & Mylicon, tons of receiving blankets (we use them for burping b/c Sadie spits up everywhere), breast pump if you are BFing and wine.  I kid.  Sort of.
    Sadie is not impressed.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    "This ribbon has been reported." - lovesnina
  • Options
    Gas drops, Boppy, waterproof mats
    DS1 5/2010, DS2 11/2012
  • Options

OH- lemme tell you- it is all about the 'Sleep'n'Play' footed pajamas.  The ones with snaps.  We had a few zipper ones and I hated trying to shove one leg down into the side that didn't unzip.  Camille could sleep through a diaper change with the snaps.

AND those are easier to use when you are using a swaddleme because the swaddlemes can stay on during diaper changes too. 

Married 11/24/07
    Camille Rae 8/21/10
    Thea Grace's EDD 5/22/14

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imagegreenclown:

One of these.

It's definitely not essential, but I really wish we'd had one for TLF's first bath, which was the scariest thing we've ever done. They're slippery little fvckers. 

Yep that is already on my must have list.  I already have baby bath tub (and the one I registered for has a sling thingie like that inside it for when they are super small.)   That is the only part of having a baby that really scares me senseless.  Working in the daycare you obviously don't give baths, so I have very limited experience with that.

• Options

Oh I was going to msg you when I got home.  I checked 2 or 3 of your registries. 

Don't forget about burp clothes.  You can't have enough.

This is the link for BRU

https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2457807&CAWELAID=107523474

Here is the one for target

https://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/186-9456383-7291066?asin=B000056HM8&AFID=Froogle_df&LNM=|B000056HM8&C

PNG=baby&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=B000056HM8&ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001

These are cheap and work fantastic as burp clothes.  I like that they are big bc I didn't wnat Amanda's face resting on people with strong perfumes or scents.  They are breathabel and won't make either party sweaty.

I didn't check your target registry yet.

Another big one is new born hats and long sleeve tshirts with the cuffs to cover their hands. 

You might also want to add more receiving blankets.

Oh and if you have storage issues you might want to look into a summer infant bath chair instead of the infant tub.  We wash Amanda in the sink and she loves it.  You might want to add an infatable tub too.

Don't forget about buttcream/A&D.

IMO you don't need a travel swing and a regular one, but it's up to you.

As I think of more things I'll let you know.

Oh did you end up buying the pump?  I have more coupons I could send you for BRU.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

looking at target one now, you don't need the bottle warmer if you are doing drop-ins.  For those you just sit them in warm water.

You also probably don't need the bundle me, since he is due in May.  I returned ours.  They do have a light wt one, but I found just a nice blanket was better.

• Options

Oh hooded bath towels is another thing I thought I needed more of.

• Options
    imageLyssapee:

looking at target one now, you don't need the bottle warmer if you are doing drop-ins.  For those you just sit them in warm water.

You also probably don't need the bundle me, since he is due in May.  I returned ours.  They do have a light wt one, but I found just a nice blanket was better.

All right.  I will switch things around when I get home.  I wasn't sure about the Bundle me.  I do have the burp clothes on both BRU and Target.  Although some of the things on Target aren't showing up online. They only show up when you do the printout at the store. 

I am going to add another type of 4 oz bottle to my registry as well in case he hates the drop ins.  That is why the bottle warmer is on there.  Plus I always used it to warm baby food ice cubes.  

• Options
    I would also recommend a bouncy seat. If you have a swing you might not need a seat as well, but I loved having both. Swing stayed in the living room, but the seat I could take with me to the kitchen, bathroom while I showered, etc.
    Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

imagememali26:
    I would also recommend a bouncy seat. If you have a swing you might not need a seat as well, but I loved having both. Swing stayed in the living room, but the seat I could take with me to the kitchen, bathroom while I showered, etc.

That was on my must have list.  I used both a lot when I worked at the daycare and found some babies seemed to prefer one to the other.  Plus I liked the bouncy seat for when babies were first started on solids, but not really sitting up yet.

• Options
    imageMrsVonKikabee:

Very helpful and solidifies my decision to add the Moby to my must have list.  

• Options

::bookmarks post::

Thank for sharing all this ladies, it's so helpful!

• Options
    imagemmkaye:

imagememali26:

That was on my must have list.  I used both a lot when I worked at the daycare and found some babies seemed to prefer one to the other.  Plus I liked the bouncy seat for when babies were first started on solids, but not really sitting up yet.

Having worked in a daycare was awesome for helping me figure out some of the things I wanted to get for DD. DH thought I was full of crazy because I had so many opinions on baby stuff already, but he learned not to question Wink

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"