Toddlers: 24 Months+

Benadryl dosage for 2.5 yr

So, I looked it up and found two different answers. Dr. Sears Medicine Cabinet said 1 tsp (5ml) for 27-32 lbs and Babyzone said 3/4 tsp for his age and weight range. I am confused...Anyone know? I can't call my pedi b/c there's no after hours answering service. I definitely don't want to overdose him and am leaning towards the smaller dose just in case, but I also don't want to give him too little to be ineffective. DS weighs 31lbs and is 2.5 YO.

To add, I am giving him the Benadryl because he has a weird rash all over his forehead, eyelids (they look almost bruised), behind his ears, down both sides, all in between his legs, and really bad on his hips and inner legs where they bend. He doesn't have it down his legs or on his arms. Anyone experience this before? Any ideas what might have triggered it? He hasn't been bathed with any new soaps or used any new lotions. Nothing out of the ordinary that we know of. TIA!

Re: Benadryl dosage for 2.5 yr

• DS is 28 lbs and 27 months and pedi told us 3/4 tsp.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • For an allergic reaction, my pedi said 1 tsp (DD has a number of allergies and an epi-pen).  But for night time congestion/cough (we are getting over croup AND ear infections in all 3 kids now) he said only 3/4. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I give my 30lb toddler 1 to 1 1/2 tsp for allergic reactions 

But I have to say, i am surprised that a pedi doesnt have an after hours option. An allergic reaction (that sounds serious from your description) might need a doctor's advice. Can you page the doctor?  Has your child ever had this sort of reaction before? I have a child with anaphylaxis risk, so I might be overreacting for the average mom, but reactions can get more and more severe. 

I would not have a pedi who didnt have an after hours service. Kids tend not to get sick between 9 am and 6 pm, you know?  

2vc9jsg.jpg

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Fifths Disease is going around my 2.5 year olds school. The rash your DS is having reminded me of it.  Not serious but might want to call the dr today just to get it checked out.  Also I use the 3/4 tsp dosage for my son. 

https://kidshealth.org/parent/infections/skin/fifth.html#

• 1 tsp (5mL) is fine.  (I'm a pharmacist)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"