Illinois Babies

**CTJourney**

Hi there!

I'm newly pregnant and still taking everything in; however, I was lurking and found that you delivered via water birth at Prentice, which is what I'm hoping to do.

So, if you don't mind, I was hoping to bother you a bit about your experience.  Who did you work with at NMPG?  We had T-TTC, so I'm still very cautious, but at what point to start meeting with your midwife? 

Any other Prentice or Midwife advice?

TIA!!

TTC #1 since 02/2010, BFP on 1/24/11, EDD 10/5/11

2011 Boston Marathon (4/18/11) @ 16 weeks
Soldier Field 10 Miler (5/28/11) @ 22 weeks

BFP Chart @ Cycle #11
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: **CTJourney**

• Congrats on your BFP!  Wishing you a very happy & healthy 9 months :) 

I started seeing the NMPG midwives when I was 12 weeks.  I actually switched over to them after realizing that a different doctor practice I was seeing was not fully supportive of my plan for an unmedicated births.  With the midwives, you will rotate and see all of them throughout your pregnancy, because you get whomever is on call when you go into labor.  I actually saw 3 different midwives while I was in labor because my labor went on and on and on, and their shifts changed I think every 12 hours. 

I like all of the midwives, and they were all very supportive of my birth plan.  But Julie was always my favorite midwife throughout my pregnancy, and she just happened to go on call shortly before it was time for me to push my baby out.  I pushed for 2 hours, and she was amazing, and calm, and encouraging (I'm sure all of the other midwives would be the same, it was just nice to have my favorite one there for delivery of my son).  It was exactly what I needed at the most challenging part of my labor.   

My biggest piece of advice on Prentice (and others might not agree with me on this), but if you plan to breastfeed I would advise that you hire a really good lactation consultant to be present shortly after you deliver your baby, or at some point in time have an LC come visit and help you at the hospital.  I had a really rough go with breastfeeding, and while the midwives are supportive of breastfeeding, they didn't really offer much help with that part.  Also, the Lactation Consultants and nurses on postpartum at Prentice were really terrible at helping with BFing (again, in my opinion).  As soon as I got home I hired an LC to come to the house and it made a world of difference. 

If you are interested, I can email you my birth story so you have a little more perspective on my experience at Prentice.  I have it on a private blog that I keep, but I can copy and paste it into an email.  It's incredibly long, otherwise I'd offer to post it here.  

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Dup

BFP Chart @ Cycle #11
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you SO much.  I really appreciate you taking the time to offer your insight.  I'm seeing a MD from the Women's Group at Prentice for my first appointment, but I've always had this vision of using a Midwife (and an unmedicated birth).

I'll definitely take note regarding the LC.  I'll just plan on having someone stop by my house- I mean, it certainly can't hurt, right?

I'd LOVE to hear your birth story!  My email address is screenname @ hotmail . com.

Thanks again!

BFP Chart @ Cycle #11
  • I just wanted to throw out there that I agree with CTJourney about the lactation consultants. I had my first child in November and I had no clue what I was doing when it came to breastfeeding. I had a gut feeling though that something wasn't right. My baby was screaming like he was starving. I called one of the LCs on staff at Prentice to come to my room. I told her that I was worried he wasn't getting enough food or that something was wrong. She assured me that everything was fine. Two days later I was at the pediatricians office and he told me, flat out, that I needed to start giving him 2oz of formula every 2 hours or else he was admitting him to the hospital because he had lost way too much weight in the four days since birth. Turns out I was breastfeeding all wrong and so my baby wasn't getting anything from me. I felt horrible finding out that I'd been starving my child.
  • imageSara714:
    I just wanted to throw out there that I agree with CTJourney about the lactation consultants. I had my first child in November and I had no clue what I was doing when it came to breastfeeding. I had a gut feeling though that something wasn't right. My baby was screaming like he was starving. I called one of the LCs on staff at Prentice to come to my room. I told her that I was worried he wasn't getting enough food or that something was wrong. She assured me that everything was fine. Two days later I was at the pediatricians office and he told me, flat out, that I needed to start giving him 2oz of formula every 2 hours or else he was admitting him to the hospital because he had lost way too much weight in the four days since birth. Turns out I was breastfeeding all wrong and so my baby wasn't getting anything from me. I felt horrible finding out that I'd been starving my child.

Wow!  Thanks for sharing that, Sara.  I'll definitely be hiring my own LC are these stories!

BFP Chart @ Cycle #11
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"